MyBB Article on G5 teams for next year Access Slot
02-18-2015 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Article on G5 teams for next year Access Slot
La Tech deserves to be on that list more than many of the others.
02-18-2015 10:24 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Cinci and Memphis I can buy....

While Temple beat us this year, I can't see how they magically get a nod for this instead of ECU.
02-18-2015 11:42 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(02-18-2015 11:42 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Cinci and Memphis I can buy....

While Temple beat us this year, I can't see how they magically get a nod for this instead of ECU.

I'd guess it's because the AAC finished 3rd among the G5 conferences in football this season. Fair or not, that tends to stain the reps of all the teams in a conference, just as teams in a top conference will tend to receive some reflected glory they don't necessarily merit.

Also, even if we look past the bad year the AAC had, you guys had an 8-5 season. That's not close to getting it done in any way that would breed lots of optimism for the next season.

Heck, you only went 5-3 in the soft AAC, despite playing a VERY favorable conference schedule. Your 5 wins were against the bottom 5 AAC teams, real bottom-feeders that went a combined 9-31 in the AAC. Three of those five teams lost TEN or more games last year, and none lost fewer than eight! Of the 8 conference games you played, only three were against teams with at least a .500 record in or out of conference, and you lost all of them while not even playing the other two with winning records, Memphis and Houston.

So, i think the author's skepticism is understandable.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 08:25 AM by quo vadis.)
02-19-2015 08:13 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Cincinnati underrated at #8....07-coffee3
02-19-2015 09:11 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-19-2015 09:11 AM)Maize Wrote:  Cincinnati underrated at #8....07-coffee3

IMO Georgia Southern is too low as well.
02-19-2015 09:26 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
NIU < WMU is ridiculous let alone by 3 spots.

"The Broncos were one of the best non-power conference teams in 2014, and also one of the youngest."

NIU was obviously better than WMU since they went to Kzoo and won the game.

NIU had a younger 2 deep than WMU and the Huskies will return more players from that 2 deep than WMU.

UC is underrated and I am sure that ECU and or UCF will be better than Temple.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 09:51 AM by HuskieJohn.)
02-19-2015 09:47 AM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
We have a game early in the season against WMU, so that will knock one of us off the list.
02-19-2015 09:50 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
While I do like the Access Bowl slot I still can't help but feel like it's the P5 dangling a carrot on a string to keep the G5 in check. Then again, maybe it's the best situation the G5 could hope for in this case.
02-19-2015 10:01 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(02-19-2015 10:01 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  While I do like the Access Bowl slot I still can't help but feel like it's the P5 dangling a carrot on a string to keep the G5 in check. Then again, maybe it's the best situation the G5 could hope for in this case.

If the P5 wanted to keep the G5 in check, there wouldn't be any auto-bid to the Access Bowl. Really, the only thing the will keep any G5 conference in check is the $$ and the any autonomous rules that enact.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2015 10:18 AM by MWC Tex.)
02-19-2015 10:17 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(02-19-2015 10:17 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 10:01 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  While I do like the Access Bowl slot I still can't help but feel like it's the P5 dangling a carrot on a string to keep the G5 in check. Then again, maybe it's the best situation the G5 could hope for in this case.

If the P5 wanted to keep the G5 in check, there wouldn't be any auto-bid to the Access Bowl. Really, the only thing the will keep any G5 conference in check is the $$ and the any autonomous rules that enact.

Outside of USF, UConn and Cincinnati the G5 has it pretty good...making more $$$ from the system then EVER and a Guaranteed spot in a New Years Six Bowl...07-coffee3
02-19-2015 10:59 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-19-2015 10:17 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

The P5 don't have any need to do anything special to keep the G5 in 'check', as natural market forces do that for them. There is just a lot less appeal to the G5 conferences - in terms of fans, TV viewers, recruits, etc. - such that the P5 conferences are naturally better.

Just like G5 conferences don't need to do anything special to keep FCS schools "in check", meaning well below* them, either.

* by 'well below' i mean on average, at the conference level. Doesn't mean there aren't some G5 schools that aren't better than some P5 schools, surely there are, just as there are some FCS schools that are better than G5 schools. But those are exceptions that prove the rule.
02-19-2015 11:02 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-19-2015 08:13 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I'd guess it's because the AAC finished 3rd among the G5 conferences in football this season. Fair or not, that tends to stain the reps of all the teams in a conference, just as teams in a top conference will tend to receive some reflected glory they don't necessarily merit.

Also, even if we look past the bad year the AAC had, you guys had an 8-5 season. That's not close to getting it done in any way that would breed lots of optimism for the next season.

Heck, you only went 5-3 in the soft AAC, despite playing a VERY favorable conference schedule. Your 5 wins were against the bottom 5 AAC teams, real bottom-feeders that went a combined 9-31 in the AAC. Three of those five teams lost TEN or more games last year, and none lost fewer than eight! Of the 8 conference games you played, only three were against teams with at least a .500 record in or out of conference, and you lost all of them while not even playing the other two with winning records, Memphis and Houston.

While I have a soft spot in my heart for my wife's alma mater, I have to agree with your assessment. Even expand on it. If 8-5 were atypical for ECU - a down year, if you will - that would be one thing. But that 8-5 equals their best record this century except for a single 10-3 season in 2013. The Pirates have averaged 6 losses a year over the past 15 years. That's not going to earn them the benefit of any doubts.

They got a lot of early season hype for the access slot in 2014 because they returned Shane Carden and a large senior class from that 10 win team. Then they couldn't finish. Now that Carden is gone, along with their OC, this team has a lot of unanswered questions going into 2015.
02-19-2015 02:09 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple

We return an elite D, have a young QB with top potential in PJ Walker, and ECU loses everyone.
02-19-2015 04:34 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-19-2015 02:09 PM)ken d Wrote:  

While I have a soft spot in my heart for my wife's alma mater, I have to agree with your assessment. Even expand on it. If 8-5 were atypical for ECU - a down year, if you will - that would be one thing. But that 8-5 equals their best record this century except for a single 10-3 season in 2013. The Pirates have averaged 6 losses a year over the past 15 years. That's not going to earn them the benefit of any doubts.

Wow ... I didn't realize that. For some reason, I had it in mind that ECU has historically been a dominant program in the minor conferences it played in. 07-coffee3
02-20-2015 08:39 AM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina

They got a lot of early season hype for the access slot in 2014 because they returned Shane Carden and a large senior class from that 10 win team. Then they couldn't finish. Now that Carden is gone, along with their OC, this team has a lot of unanswered questions going into 2015.

Wrong, 8-4 2000, 8-5 2007, 9-5 2008*, 9-5 2009, 8-5 2012, 10-3 2013, 8-5 2014

* UNC vacated win not included, if done so 10-4.

Kert Benkurt is unproven, but has the potenial to better than Shane, we are stacked at WR and RB, lost only one starting OL. LB is fine leading tackler returns, we get back Terrel Stanley on the DL and return 3 others with starts. The secondary should improve. Our Senoir class wasn't that large 26, about average, but there more than a few that didn't play.
02-20-2015 09:34 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Until proven otherwise my money is on BSU. If the Cincy D is decent from day 1 we will be dangerous.
02-20-2015 09:46 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-20-2015 09:34 AM)ecumbh1999 Wrote:  

[b]Wrong, 8-4 2000[/b], 8-5 2007, 9-5 2008*, 9-5 2009, 8-5 2012, 10-3 2013, 8-5 2014

* UNC vacated win not included, if done so 10-4.

Kert Benkurt is unproven, but has the potenial to better than Shane, we are stacked at WR and RB, lost only one starting OL. LB is fine leading tackler returns, we get back Terrel Stanley on the DL and return 3 others with starts. The secondary should improve. Our Senoir class wasn't that large 26, about average, but there more than a few that didn't play.

2000 was the last year of the 20th century so I didn't include it, since it doesn't change the overall point. Which is, that 5 or more losses has been typical for ECU over any period relevant to the question of whether their prior history should give them any kind of a leg up when it comes to preseason expectations for an access slot.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to be optimistic. You should. So far in the 2015 season you remain unbeaten.
02-20-2015 10:22 AM
Hilltop75 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
WKU and LA Tech both need to be
On this list
02-20-2015 10:50 AM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(02-19-2015 09:26 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-19-2015 09:11 AM)Maize Wrote:  Cincinnati underrated at #8....07-coffee3

IMO Georgia Southern is too low as well.

Ga Southern was essentially competing with 63 scholarship players and made a decent run at the access bowl last year. Had Ga Southern not given away games to GT and ncsu, last year would have been very interesting.

Look for the Eagles to improve each year and really make some noise soon.
02-22-2015 12:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.