Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Palm, Lunardi: UC still in good NCAA shape
Palm, Lunardi: UC still in good NCAA shape
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 12:59 p.m. EST February 15, 2015

[Image: 635595939492304800-LarryDvUConn.jpg]
Associate head coach Larry Davis and the Bearcats remain very much alive for an NCAA tournament bid, forecasters say. (Photo: The Enquirer/Kareem Elgazzar)

University of Cincinnati players and associate head coach Larry Davis believe their NCAA tournament hopes took a hit when UC lost 50-49 to Tulane on Saturday, but national forecasters say the Bearcats remain in good shape.

Joe Lunardi (ESPN) and Jerry Palm (CBS Sports) said UC is very much alive. The Bearcats (17-8, 8-5 American Athletic Conference) will enter Wednesday's Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout with Xavier on a two-game losing streak.

"They're currently 34th on my board, a No. 9 (NCAA) seed," Lunardi said Sunday. "They're still pretty solid."

UC has six regular season games remaining: Xavier (home, Wednesday); at Houston (Feb. 21); UCF (home, Feb. 25); at Tulane (Feb. 28); at Tulsa (March 4); and Memphis (home, March 8). Then comes the AAC tournament, March 12-15 in Hartford, Connecticut.

Palm as of Sunday morning was still figuring out his new bracket, but said UC has dropped into "the bottom half" of that group.

"The good things they've done have given them a cushion, but they keep getting in their own way," Palm said. "The things they've got going for them are they swept SMU and won at North Carolina State, which looks better every time (NC State) does something good. But you get to the bad losses and you wonder if they're still going to make it."

The bad losses include East Carolina, Tulane and Nebraska, Palm said, with all below-100 RPI teams. UC itself has been hovering in the 20s and 30s in the RPIs of the NCAA, ESPN, CBS Sports and others.

"(UC) needs to win at Houston, and they need to beat UCF, Tulane and Memphis," Palm said. "Those are teams that can hurt them if they don't win."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../23452995/

02-15-2015 08:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
RE: Palm, Lunardi: UC still in good NCAA shape
Contrary to the popular belief, the season is still very much alive.

02-15-2015 09:24 PM
InspectorHound Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-15-2015 09:24 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Contrary to the popular belief, the season is still very much alive.

Haven't you heard? They cancelled the rest of the season because too many message board posters said they had no chance of making the tourney

02-15-2015 09:54 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Jerry palm has put us as a 8 seed facing 9 Dayton...winner getting Kentucky . I personally would take this. I'd love to see UC get a shot at UK. Nothing to lose.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 08:47 AM by Bearcat2012.)
02-16-2015 08:41 AM
namrag Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-16-2015 08:41 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Jerry palm has put us as a 9 seed facing 8 Dayton...winner getting Kentucky . I personally would take this. I'd love to see UC get a shot at UK. Nothing to lose.

I would prefer to not get embarrassed by the best team in the country, especially when that team is in our region and has a significant fan base in our area.

02-16-2015 08:44 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-16-2015 08:44 AM)namrag Wrote:  
(02-16-2015 08:41 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Jerry palm has put us as a 9 seed facing 8 Dayton...winner getting Kentucky . I personally would take this. I'd love to see UC get a shot at UK. Nothing to lose.

I would prefer to not get embarrassed by the best team in the country, especially when that team is in our region and has a significant fan base in our area.

This. Getting past Dayton would not be easy either.

02-16-2015 09:19 AM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk

Gutless. If they lost, it would be expected, but if they won. All hell would break loose. I'm giddy just dreaming about it.

02-16-2015 10:35 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Do you believe in miracles?! YES!

02-16-2015 10:36 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

UK could play only 4 and still beat us. lol

02-16-2015 10:40 AM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
(02-16-2015 09:19 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

This. Getting past Dayton would not be easy either.

I saw Dayton in person on Saturday. They're fast, athletic and they know how to score. Their defense wasn't great but I don't think we could keep up with the way they can score. Bad matchup for the Cats IMO.

02-16-2015 11:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
(02-16-2015 10:35 AM)BeerCat Wrote:  

Gutless. If they lost, it would be expected, but if they won. All hell would break loose. I'm giddy just dreaming about it.

Idk, in most other years I would say "bring it on", but this year I just see this game as an awful matchup. uk is not unbeatable, but it takes a certain type of team to play a certain type of game to beat them. The formula to beat them is to:

1) Make jump shots (Nope)
2) Don't kill yourself with TO's and stupid fouls (nope)
3) Be physical back at them(I think some of these guys have some fight, but not enough depth to go around)

There are only a few teams in the country that have the bigs to even challenge them in the paint and UC is not one. Everyone else would have to rely on a ridiculous shooting night and sub-par night from uk. I could see this game getting ugly, and since I live on the south side of the river, would prefer to not deal with the Blue-Necks.

02-16-2015 12:34 PM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(02-16-2015 12:34 PM)jarr Wrote:  

Idk, in most other years I would say "bring it on", but this year I just see this game as an awful matchup. uk is not unbeatable, but it takes a certain type of team to play a certain type of game to beat them. The formula to beat them is to:

1) Make jump shots (Nope)
2) Don't kill yourself with TO's and stupid fouls (nope)
3) Be physical back at them(I think some of these guys have some fight, but not enough depth to go around)

There are only a few teams in the country that have the bigs to even challenge them in the paint and UC is not one. Everyone else would have to rely on a ridiculous shooting night and sub-par night from uk. I could see this game getting ugly, and since I live on the south side of the river, would prefer to not deal with the Blue-Necks.

If we don't do those things we will lose no matter who we are playing, see ECU and Tulane.

Also, it March, so anything can happen for the underdog. Maybe we play like we did against Temple. The game would have all upside for UC and virtually no down side.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 12:37 PM by BeerCat.)
02-16-2015 12:36 PM
namrag Offline
All American

I Root For:

Not gutless, realist.

We scored 13 effing points in the first half against Tulane.... Let that sink in.

Against a team like UK it would be 55-13 at the half.

Talk about setting back the national perception of a program....

02-16-2015 01:05 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I concur with namrag. While UC was getting punked by a team starting a couple white stiffs with floppy hair, UK was arse-raping South Carolina. The patrons in the sports bar I was sitting in was watching UK and chuckling at the UC game. This was on the Ohio side of the river.

02-16-2015 01:10 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Let's just get to the tournament first. That would be an accomplishment at this point.

02-16-2015 01:18 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(02-16-2015 01:05 PM)namrag Wrote:  

Not gutless, realist.

We scored 13 effing points in the first half against Tulane.... Let that sink in.

Against a team like UK it would be 55-13 at the half.

Talk about setting back the national perception of a program....

Is your perception of UCLA damaged after they got destroyed by UK?

What a bunch of wimps we have here. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

02-16-2015 01:46 PM
Advertisement

CincyCatz1224 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UofL, ND
I don't see why it's "wimpy." If we have to play a 1 seed, I'd rather play a team like Wisconsin. I think that gives you a puncher's chance, wheres UK is simply imminent doom. Honestly, I wouldn't mind ending up as a 10 and having a shot at a 2 seed in the second round.

02-16-2015 01:49 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(02-16-2015 01:49 PM)CincyCatz1224 Wrote:  I don't see why it's "wimpy." If we have to play a 1 seed, I'd rather play a team like Wisconsin. I think that gives you a puncher's chance, wheres UK is simply imminent doom. Honestly, I wouldn't mind ending up as a 10 and having a shot at a 2 seed in the second round.

You don't see why it's wimpy to not want a shot at the best? That's what sports is all about.

We are just fans, I sure as hell hope our players don't think like you.

02-16-2015 01:53 PM
Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(02-16-2015 01:53 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  
(02-16-2015 01:49 PM)CincyCatz1224 Wrote:  I don't see why it's "wimpy." If we have to play a 1 seed, I'd rather play a team like Wisconsin. I think that gives you a puncher's chance, wheres UK is simply imminent doom. Honestly, I wouldn't mind ending up as a 10 and having a shot at a 2 seed in the second round.

You don't see why it's wimpy to not want a shot at the best? That's what sports is all about.

You really don't understand why fans would want the most advantageous path possible for a long tournament run? Please tell me you are smarter than that.

02-16-2015 01:55 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(02-16-2015 01:55 PM)Overrated Wrote:  
(02-16-2015 01:53 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  

You really don't understand why fans would want the most advantageous path possible for a long tournament run? Please tell me you are smarter than that.

Most years, yeah. This year, I'm not that worried about UC's path to the national championship. Come on.

02-16-2015 01:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.