ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lady Monarch Basketball
seabee Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ODU
Lady Monarch Basketball
What is going on with the coaching ?One game they play as a team (share the ball) the next one ,not so much ,Listening to the coach on the way home ,not sure she was at the same game I was ???
02-15-2015 05:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

odubsu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
RE: Lady Monarch Basketball
i grew up with a guy who ended up being a pretty well respected assistant women's coach for an ACC team. i know he was interested in the ODU job but we went in a different direction.
02-15-2015 06:35 PM
ziggy1 Offline
Special Teams

As much as I am disappointed in the way our women's basketball program has been losing ground, especially so with Coach Barefoot's seeming inability to coach these young ladies into playing better basketball, part of me holds this vision that had Shae Kelley stayed at ODU for her final year, and had Galaisha Goodhope not gotten into trouble, the ladies could very well have had a good chance of competing for the top spot within the conference. Imagine what a great coach would have done with Shae Kelley and Jennie Simms on this current Lady Monarch team. Wendy Larry would have worked wonders having those two players along with the rest of the squad. With Coach Barefoot, I'm not so sure she would have had the same success, and it really pains me to say that because I really believe she loves being around the Lady Monarch Basketball program. Aah, don't wake me from this dream of what could've been.

Meanwhile, Shae just won another Big Ten Player of the Week honors, her third so far.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 04:04 PM by ziggy1.)
02-17-2015 03:56 PM
TheDancinMonarch Online
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Unless the NCAA allowed more than 1 ball on the court at a time, I don't think Kelly and Simms would have been able to coexist.
02-17-2015 06:04 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Online
Heisman

Re: RE: Lady Monarch Basketball
(02-17-2015 06:04 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  Unless the NCAA allowed more than 1 ball on the court at a time, I don't think Kelly and Simms would have been able to coexist.

The uconn's and notre dames of the world find a way. Hell those teams probably have players riding the pine that would start on our squad. Such is women's basketball though.
02-17-2015 07:43 PM
odugrad10 Offline
Bench Warmer

I posted this in another thread, but I'll ask it here too. Did Anne Donovan ever publicly say she wasn't interested in this job? Or is it just a matter of ODU not being able to afford her (or someone of her caliber)??
02-17-2015 08:45 PM
Advertisement

ODU Hoops Offline
Special Teams

Lady Monarch Basketball
We know that Nancy Lieberman wanted it. She was my first choice but I'm guessing her salary demands would have been too high. We have gone the cheap salary route with basketball since FB started.
02-17-2015 11:03 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I agree with the goodhope and Kelly comments.

If we took freeman and arledge off this team, they probably wouldn't have a winning record this year, much less be 18-6.

I dont think barefoot was the right choice over Lieberman but the problems this year have a lot to do with those two losses, no doubt about that.
02-18-2015 03:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2015 03:35 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  I agree with the goodhope and Kelly comments.

If we took freeman and arledge off this team, they probably wouldn't have a winning record this year, much less be 18-6.

I dont think barefoot was the right choice over Lieberman but the problems this year have a lot to do with those two losses, no doubt about that.

My question is whether or not the loss of Kelly had anything to do with KB's coaching or imnterpersonal skills? Also, NL has a ton of baggage from her pro coaching days. I don't see her as a good college fit at all.
02-18-2015 10:40 AM
A view from the stands Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-17-2015 06:04 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  Unless the NCAA allowed more than 1 ball on the court at a time, I don't think Kelly and Simms would have been able to coexist.

Kelly's teammate Amanda Zahui B had an unbelievable 39 point, 29 rebound game yesterday against nationally ranked Iowa. Kelly doesn't have to be the star. I think those two would have found a way.
02-18-2015 07:51 PM
TheDancinMonarch Online
All American

(02-18-2015 07:51 PM)A view from the stands Wrote:  

Kelly's teammate Amanda Zahui B had an unbelievable 39 point, 29 rebound game yesterday against nationally ranked Iowa. Kelly doesn't have to be the star. I think those two would have found a way.

I was taking a cheap shot at the coaching, not at the players.
02-18-2015 11:58 PM
Advertisement

RoanokeMonarch Offline
1st String

Ladies getting stomped again tonight, down 32-14 at half. Geeeeez.
02-19-2015 08:14 PM
Realistic monarch Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Odu
[/quote]

I was taking a cheap shot at the coaching, not at the players.
[/quote]

Judging from Shae being listed as one of five players in starting 5 I don't think she's not a star at minnesota I feel they have multiple stars that feed off one another
02-19-2015 09:46 PM
Realistic monarch Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Odu
[Image: www.ncaa.com] womens basketball
02-19-2015 09:49 PM
TedHead Offline
1st String

I'm ready to start the Nancy Lieberman campaign.
02-20-2015 01:56 PM
A view from the stands Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-19-2015 08:14 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  Ladies getting stomped again tonight, down 32-14 at half. Geeeeez.

How do we call ourselves a "defensive team" if we can't come up with a single turnover in the first half?!? Usually that means one team isn't being aggressive enough. But that first half was ugly. 6 points in the paint. Zero points from the bench (no spark).

Normally I would do an entire article on La Tech. Today...not feeling it. So here it goes.

ODU will face 24 year old head coach Tyler Summitt. He is just two years older when his mom was named as head coach of some team in Tennessee. Overall they are 14-11 (9-5) and 7-3 at home. Key players...

-Whitney Frazier: 6'0" Fr Sr 14.9 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.8 spg, 48.4 FG%, 70.7 FT%
-Kelia Shelton: 5'8" G Rd Sr 13.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 35.5 FG%, 33.3 3P%, 76.8 FT%
-Chrisstasia Walter: 5'8" G Sr 8.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 6.0 apg, 35.5 FG%, 84.7 FT%
-Brandi Wingate: 6'2" Jr G/F (top ranked juco player) 7.9 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 53.1 FG%
-JaQuan Jackson: 5'8" SG So 7.6 ppg, 31.9 FG% (half of her shots are behind the arc)

La Tech has top senior level talent, which makes it a veteran team. They try to emphasis offensive rebounding, even though they aren't a very tall team. (Which goes to reason since Pat Summitt was known for rebounding) Walter is a passing machine. Tyler's youth is a bit of an x-factor, as his energy will rub off the team. This game is winnable, but we are going to need a stronger first half. Also Destinee Young who had 18 points needs to keep up her level of play.
02-20-2015 09:47 PM
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Lady Monarchs playing on Fox Sports
02-22-2015 03:17 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

My first time watching...pretty rough out there
02-22-2015 03:25 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Online
Heisman

I'm not watching anymore
02-22-2015 03:26 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I miss the days when Lady Techsters and ODU were the class of women's basketball
02-22-2015 03:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.