UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bill for returning football was a good move
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
Bill for returning football was a good move
Quote:Jack Williams (@repjack) tweeted at 10:04am - 14 Feb 15:

Morning meeting with legislators and education leaders. Legislators were privately polled on returning football to #UAB - 70% voted yes.

We need much more than just returned football though.
02-14-2015 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
RE: Bill for returning football was a good move
People like alternatives, especially to things they don't want to deal with. This bill may be the "out" some legislators prefer...
02-14-2015 01:18 PM
uabblazer2012 Offline
All American

Is this something they can force?
02-14-2015 01:22 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
A "vote" (they are not in session until early March) for football in Alabama is like a vote for motherhood, apple pie, etc. Unless there is an accompanying vote to change the present omnipotent power of the presently composed BOT, it won't mean much in practical terms. They killed UAB football in December, and they will have the power to do it all over again if nothing else changes.
02-14-2015 01:27 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
A vote would still send a clear msg to "them" that they may listen to even if there's no BOT changes. Next vote would be that if they don't listen
02-14-2015 01:42 PM
DragonClaw Online
1st String

I Root For: UAB Blazers
The BOT could still keep football "down", and it won't ever be able to thrive (along with athletics and the undergrad side generally) if there is not a substantial change to governance.
02-14-2015 02:04 PM
Advertisement

UABFRENCHY Online
Heisman

Donators
(02-14-2015 01:42 PM)blazerwkr Wrote:  A vote would still send a clear msg to "them" that they may listen to even if there's no BOT changes. Next vote would be that if they don't listen

one SMALL STEP at this time BUT a very important one
the bot will use all their influence to get a no vote
if we win that it will be our first win against the bot ...very significant
#freeUaB
02-14-2015 02:05 PM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(02-14-2015 01:27 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  A "vote" (they are not in session until early March) for football in Alabama is like a vote for motherhood, apple pie, etc. Unless there is an accompanying vote to change the present omnipotent power of the presently composed BOT, it won't mean much in practical terms. They killed UAB football in December, and they will have the power to do it all over again if nothing else changes.

I don't think so. According to Jack, if the legislature votes for a bill which mandates that UAB must have a football team and the Governor signs that bill, that bill become a law. If it mandates that that UAB have a D1A football team, then the BOT and the President of UAB have not choice but to comply. Unless the law has condition in it such as - UAB must have a football team for at least 5 years - then it must have one forever. It would be very similar to the state law which mandates that Alabama and Auburn must schedule a football game every season.

Now we don't know yet that a such a bill would pass or how it will read. So far we only have a poll. But let's say such a bill passes, but the BOT reorganization bills get shelved. If I were a trustee I would thank my lucky stars and I see that situation as warning of what could happen in the future if the BOT continues discrimination against UAB and/or UAH.

I would be very careful going forward. I wouldn't want the legislature to later reconsider a BOT reorganization bill. My thinking would be that if there were good reasons for the legislature to considering those bills again I would be very afraid one would pass the second time around
02-14-2015 02:05 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
The language in that proposed bill will require UAB to field a football team at the same level as UAT and Auburn, in perpetuity. Specific mentions of organizations (NCAA) or divisions (I-A, FBS) were left out intentionally in anticipation of any future structure changes.

What I am unsure about is what penalties will be incurred for violations of this law and by whom will those penalties be directed towards.
02-14-2015 03:47 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2015 03:47 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  The language in that proposed bill will require UAB to field a football team at the same level as UAT and Auburn, in perpetuity. Specific mentions of organizations (NCAA) or divisions (I-A, FBS) were left out intentionally in anticipation of any future structure changes.

What I am unsure about is what penalties will be incurred for violations of this law and by whom will those penalties be directed towards.

That's a nice touch, especially since the power elites have discussed restructuring things.
02-14-2015 03:57 PM
jcduncan13 Offline
All American

More progress
02-14-2015 03:57 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If that bill is passed, then the BOT will close every other sport (save Title 9 programs) in order to have football. They will do this for spite.
02-14-2015 04:01 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2015 04:01 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  If that bill is passed, then the BOT will close every other sport (save Title 9 programs) in order to have football. They will do this for spite.

Go for it. That will for sure doom any hope they had of holding on to UAB within the UA system.
02-14-2015 04:03 PM
Agent Orange Sauce Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB Rifle
If you haven't already, it's time to start writing legislators, people.
02-14-2015 04:53 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
(02-14-2015 04:03 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  
(02-14-2015 04:01 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  If that bill is passed, then the BOT will close every other sport (save Title 9 programs) in order to have football. They will do this for spite.

Go for it. That will for sure doom any hope they had of holding on to UAB within the UA system.

In order to be at Div. I FBS status, there has to be a minimum number of sports, and basketball is required. They could try shutting down Softball and Soccer out of spite (which would only show their true colors even more blatantly) but they can't kill football and basketball so long as the SEC is in the NCAA.
02-14-2015 04:59 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award

That horse has already run out of the barn, the toothpaste is out of the tube and the bammer is into the second jug. We have spited them, and they will return fire now regardless of whether any particular bill passes or not.
02-14-2015 06:31 PM
Advertisement

dblaze Offline
2nd String

(02-14-2015 03:47 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  The language in that proposed bill will require UAB to field a football team at the same level as UAT and Auburn, in perpetuity. Specific mentions of organizations (NCAA) or divisions (I-A, FBS) were left out intentionally in anticipation of any future structure changes.

That is VERY INTERESTING....

if this is indeed the case would it preclude UA and Auburn from leaving (with the P5 conferences) at some point to form their own league or would they have to "drag" us along?
02-14-2015 07:06 PM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(02-14-2015 06:31 PM)58-56 Wrote:  

That horse has already run out of the barn, the toothpaste is out of the tube and the bammer is into the second jug. We have spited them, and they will return fire now regardless of whether any particular bill passes or not.

I immediately thought of two replies to you post:

1. Screw up. Let them try. The more they show their evil side the more likely it will be to get the votes to restructure the board or separate from UAB from UAT completely.

2. I firmly believe the board is a bunch of cowards. Like all cowards, if you stand up to them and punch them in the nose they will usually leave you alone. I believe that if we can convince the legislature to bring back football, they will be afraid to mess with us again least they chance losing the "crown jewel" in their crown.
02-14-2015 07:40 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-14-2015 07:06 PM)dblaze Wrote:  

That is VERY INTERESTING....

if this is indeed the case would it preclude UA and Auburn from leaving (with the P5 conferences) at some point to form their own league or would they have to "drag" us along?

They don't have that authority.
02-14-2015 08:27 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(02-14-2015 07:40 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  
(02-14-2015 06:31 PM)58-56 Wrote:  

I immediately thought of two replies to you post:

1. Screw up. Let them try. The more they show their evil side the more likely it will be to get the votes to restructure the board or separate from UAB from UAT completely.

2. I firmly believe the board is a bunch of cowards. Like all cowards, if you stand up to them and punch them in the nose they will usually leave you alone. I believe that if we can convince the legislature to bring back football, they will be afraid to mess with us again least they chance losing the "crown jewel" in their crown.

I agree. Holding off on legislation is not going to save basketball or sand volleyball or history or sculpture. There are many methods by which to do so, but ultimately they all add up to one thing: We fight.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 10:29 PM by 58-56.)
02-14-2015 10:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.