Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS sports network: growing on me
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
CBS sports network: growing on me
I used to worry about the contract and too many games on CBSN, but I'll admit I'm liking them more and more as I like espin less and less. How do you guys feel about games on CBSSN? Decent broadcast quality IMO....not sure the viewership but with espn splitting into a million channels..well I'm reconsidering my original opinion about it...cheers
02-11-2015 11:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vaNtR Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
RE: CBS sports network: growing on me
CBSSN is complete ****.
02-11-2015 11:27 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
put it this way, cbssports doesn't have enough subscribers to be monitored by nielson

as far games ...if i can get the game on, their announcers are probably the most knowledgable about our league when broadcasting

but getting the game is difficult, not everyone has it and there are rarely any links for it online and they dont stream...
and my biggest pet peeve why i sorta hate cbssports, they dont make highlights for their games....i always use the saying, games go on cbssports to die..their is no existance of the game after the game is over,if you arent one of the 50k people who watched the game on tv live .. you will never see any visuals from that game
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2015 11:29 PM by pesik.)
02-11-2015 11:28 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(02-11-2015 11:28 PM)pesik Wrote:  put it this way, cbssports doesn't have enough subscribers to be monitored by nielson

as far games ...if i can get the game on, their announcers are probably the most knowledgable about our league when broadcasting

but getting the game is difficult, not everyone has it and there are rarely any links for it online and they dont stream...
and my biggest pet peeve why i sorta hate cbssports, they dont make highlights for their games....i always use the saying, games go on cbssports to die..their is no existance of the game after the game is over,if you arent one of the 50k people who watched the game on tv live .. you will never see any visuals from that game

The viewership hadn't gotten better huh? Too bad..their broadcasts seem to be improving a lot. Why don't they make highlights?
02-11-2015 11:32 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(02-11-2015 11:32 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 11:28 PM)pesik Wrote:  put it this way, cbssports doesn't have enough subscribers to be monitored by nielson

The viewership hadn't gotten better huh? Too bad..their broadcasts seem to be improving a lot. Why don't they make highlights?

they only make highlights for games on cbs main, i have no clue why, if you missed a game, if the conference doesnt make highlights, you are reading about the game..

atleast nbcsports atleast streams online

this is why i like ESPN, they probably don't know much about our league besides their cliff notes and talk about bigger leagues during the boring parts of the game...im fine with that ..espn has viewers, played in every bar, and unlike cbsports every single game they air has a highlight reel made, even deeper they make highlights for every significant play that ca be watched anytime and posted minutes after it actually happens..they stream online and if you miss a game, every game owned by espn is available for replays for weeks after it airs online for free
02-11-2015 11:50 PM
Advertisement

chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
My hope is that CBS loosens up a little and brings the CBSSN app to Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, etc... If they can do that, there is a possibility to make CBS Sports grow. If you consider the NCAA tournament, CBS Sports could grow beyond TNT, TBS, and Tru TV for the tournament. In addition, by adding additional college football games, an app does not have to compete directly with the same dollars that ESPN does. CBSSN seems happy to take what ESPN won't air on their networks.
02-12-2015 12:03 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(02-11-2015 11:50 PM)pesik Wrote:  

they only make highlights for games on cbs main, i have no clue why, if you missed a game, if the conference doesnt make highlights, you are reading about the game..

atleast nbcsports atleast streams online

this is why i like ESPN, they probably don't know much about our league besides their cliff notes and talk about bigger leagues during the boring parts of the game...im fine with that ..espn has viewers, played in every bar, and unlike cbsports every single game they air has a highlight reel made, even deeper they make highlights for every significant play that ca be watched anytime and posted minutes after it actually happens..they stream online and if you miss a game, every game owned by espn is available for replays for weeks after it airs online for free

Good points....NBC would've been interesting if espn hadn't matched the contract don't you think? Do you think there would of been games on NBC over the air (Notre Dame channel) or would all the games air on NBC-SN?
02-12-2015 12:09 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(02-12-2015 12:09 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Good points....NBC would've been interesting if espn hadn't matched the contract don't you think? Do you think there would of been games on NBC over the air (Notre Dame channel) or would all the games air on NBC-SN?

espn matched the nbc deal meaning whatever we have with ESPN is what nbc offered

we have 3 abcs games for both football and basketball....for we'd have had 3 football games and 3 basketball games on NBC main
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 12:43 AM by pesik.)
02-12-2015 12:42 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(02-12-2015 12:42 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 12:09 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Good points....NBC would've been interesting if espn hadn't matched the contract don't you think? Do you think there would of been games on NBC over the air (Notre Dame channel) or would all the games air on NBC-SN?

espn matched the nbc deal meaning whatever we have with ESPN is what nbc offered

we have 3 abcs games for both football and basketball....for we'd have had 3 football games and 3 basketball games on NBC main

that would've been incredible to watch ECU on NBC..notre dame and the SEC are very popular simply because they have those national tv games
02-12-2015 09:41 AM
Advertisement

blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(02-12-2015 12:03 AM)chess Wrote:  My hope is that CBS loosens up a little and brings the CBSSN app to Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, etc... If they can do that, there is a possibility to make CBS Sports grow. If you consider the NCAA tournament, CBS Sports could grow beyond TNT, TBS, and Tru TV for the tournament. In addition, by adding additional college football games, an app does not have to compete directly with the same dollars that ESPN does. CBSSN seems happy to take what ESPN won't air on their networks.

This.
02-12-2015 09:43 AM
Attackcoog Offline

CBS-Sports has about 55 million subscribers. ESPN and ESPN-2 each have about 98 million subscribers. ESPN-U an ESPN-News both have around 75 million subscribers. Your right, with the explosion of on demand choices on the Internet, it's surprising they don't have a site with archived games or highlights.

From what I can tell, CBS-Sports has become the bargain bin hunter of sports networks. They do not bid on anything expensive. I think the last rights packages I saw them buy were both resold packages of stuff ESPN wasn't using. One was a package of basketball rights (PAC-12, Colonial, and some other smaller leagues) and the other was the purchase of an AAC Sports package (basketball and football) from ESPN. I thought the last purchase was interesting in that CBS-Sports actually paid to air AAC games in the place of CUSA games that they already had paid for.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 12:11 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-12-2015 10:30 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(02-12-2015 10:30 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

CBS-Sports has about 55 million subscribers. ESPN and ESPN-2 each have about 98 million subscribers. ESPN-U an ESPN-News both have aroun 75 million subscribers. Your right, with the explosion of on demand choices on the Internet, it's surprising they don't have a site with archived games or highlights.

From what I can tell, CBS-Sports has become the bargain bin hunter of sports network. They do not bid on anything expensive. I think the last rights packages I saw them buy were both resold packages of stuff ESPN wasn't using. One was a package of basketball rights (PAC-12, Colonial, and some other smaller leagues) and the othervwas the purchase of an AAC Sports package (basketball and football) from ESPN. I thought the last purchase was interesting in that CBS-Sports actually paid to air AAC games in the place of CUSA games that they already had paid for.

Yes, cbs sports net has been good for the AAC in certain ways...the announcers are much kinder, more enthusiastic, and much more interested in the league than the espn announcers seem to be....
02-12-2015 11:17 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(02-12-2015 12:03 AM)chess Wrote:  My hope is that CBS loosens up a little and brings the CBSSN app to Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, etc... If they can do that, there is a possibility to make CBS Sports grow. If you consider the NCAA tournament, CBS Sports could grow beyond TNT, TBS, and Tru TV for the tournament. In addition, by adding additional college football games, an app does not have to compete directly with the same dollars that ESPN does. CBSSN seems happy to take what ESPN won't air on their networks.

Good post. BTW, my brother is a Hawkeye living in council bluffs, right across from "enemy territory" haha...at least your an ECU fan too!
02-12-2015 11:35 AM
Advertisement

stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Until CBS Sports streams the games online, they are irrelevant. Even NBC Sports does a better job of getting content to consumers than CBS Sports. They have very little subscribers, not the right kind of content to demand better reach to cable networks. The broadcasts are usually good quality, but thats wasted when noone can see it.

Until they get their **** together, CBS Sports is a joke.
02-12-2015 01:21 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators

That's not true. They opt out of Nielson ratings. Has nothing to do with enough subscribers.
02-12-2015 01:27 PM
uconnwhaler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uconn
(02-12-2015 01:27 PM)mlb Wrote:  

That's not true. They opt out of Nielson ratings. Has nothing to do with enough subscribers.

Then they opt out because their ratings are atrocious. Either way, games on that network are a joke. Another give-away by Aresco. If UConn had our Tier 3 rights we could sell them to SNY for more than we are getting from the entire AAC contract.
02-12-2015 01:40 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
UConn screwed up when they signed away their rights to the conference then, whaler.

As far as the TV games on CBS SN, I think they are produced well and the announcers are fine. They also don't sit there and hype up other conferences the entire broadcast, like on ESPN. I'm just fine with the TV deal for the conference.
02-12-2015 01:43 PM
Advertisement

uconnwhaler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uconn
(02-12-2015 01:43 PM)mlb Wrote:  UConn screwed up when they signed away their rights to the conference then, whaler.

As far as the TV games on CBS SN, I think they are produced well and the announcers are fine. They also don't sit there and hype up other conferences the entire broadcast, like on ESPN. I'm just fine with the TV deal for the conference.

The problem is that our league has too many teams that aren't worth anything so they would have approved this deal no matter what (if we held out we would be the bad 'teammate'). Just as an example, under the old Big East contract the UConn women's Tier 3 contract was worth nearly what our current Tier 1/2/3 for mens/women's and football is worth with the AAC.
02-12-2015 02:00 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(02-12-2015 02:00 PM)uconnwhaler Wrote:  The problem is that our league has too many teams that aren't worth anything so they would have approved this deal no matter what (if we held out we would be the bad 'teammate'). Just as an example, under the old Big East contract the UConn women's Tier 3 contract was worth nearly what our current Tier 1/2/3 for mens/women's and football is worth with the AAC.

Who cares if you are the bad "teammate"? UC and UConn essentially had their own veto power for any TV contract as they were the 2 biggest names in both sports that matter. UConn signed on, plain and simple. You may have buyers remorse, but there is nothing you can do about it.
02-12-2015 02:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.