Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BG, Miami in top ten in hockey
Bookmark and Share
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
BG, Miami in top ten in hockey
Last week BG an Miami were tied for 8th, this week Miami is 7, BG 8. Western is in the others recieving votes. Michigan is 14th, the only ranked Big Ten team. The National Hockey Conference (includes Miami and Western) currently has 5 of the top 9 teams.

Of interest, there has been internet speculation that Notre Dame and Hockey East is not working and they might want to move to the National. If so, the National would want to add a 10th team, with BG being the top option, with a startup program at Arizona State also being mentioned. I would love to see BG and Notre Dame added to the league, giving Miami and Western some geographical and traditonal opponents in league play.
02-10-2015 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Colonel Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: BG, Miami in top ten in hockey
(02-10-2015 04:20 PM)DICK Wrote:  Of interest, there has been internet speculation that Notre Dame and Hockey East is not working and they might want to move to the National.

If this were to happen, it would be interesting to see how it would play out in terms of TV broadcasts/contracts. CBS Sports Network televises NCHC games each week. Like it does in college football, Notre Dame has a cozy relationship with NBC (in this case, NBC Sports Network, which broadcasts a number of their games).
02-10-2015 04:31 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
Between the 2 Ohio programs Hockey Success and Mizzou's #3 ranking in Wrestling this should be a huge winter for the MAC! Not to mention Shawn Barber's pole vaulting exploits.
02-10-2015 09:55 PM
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:
Good to see BG competitive. It's been a long time. Both schools got heavy mention in the NHL All-Star Game Program they sold at the game in Columbus.

I think if BG gets any consistently good play, they will get the invite to the National. But then again, it makes too much sense.
02-11-2015 02:11 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(02-11-2015 02:11 PM)MacLord Wrote:  Good to see BG competitive. It's been a long time. Both schools got heavy mention in the NHL All-Star Game Program they sold at the game in Columbus.

I think if BG gets any consistently good play, they will get the invite to the National. But then again, it makes too much sense.

Notre Dame is now kicking the tires of leaving Hockey East for the NCHC, if and when that happens and if BG makes some investment in the program, then BG will get the NCHC invite. (although they are still bitter and will deny even wanting the invite).

I also feel that it is a when, not if, situation at Buffalo that the Bulls will also have a varsity hockey team. They almost made the jump a couple years ago when realignment started but then sited limited resources. Buffalo Sabre owner who also donated $100 million to Penn State to start their program has also recently hinted at possibly helping Buffalo Bulls start theirs. If he writes the check, UB instantly becomes a player.
02-12-2015 09:32 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I'd love to see BG in the NCHC. I could tolerate ND there, too.

Great to see BG having success again.

We have a few fans who wish WMU had not joined the NCHC but had gone to the WCHA. I prefer the tougher competition in the National, which smoked the other leagues percentage wise in OOC play this season.
02-13-2015 10:27 PM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(02-13-2015 10:27 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I'd love to see BG in the NCHC. I could tolerate ND there, too.

Great to see BG having success again.

We have a few fans who wish WMU had not joined the NCHC but had gone to the WCHA. I prefer the tougher competition in the National, which smoked the other leagues percentage wise in OOC play this season.

Im sick and tired of Bowling Green's whining and crying about a new CCHA and sobbing to Miami and Western Michigan about travel, blah, blah blah.... Guess what, BGSU is in the situation they are because the are whining cheap, cheap babies.... Quit taking every chance you get to cry and threaten some "new ccha".... Fine, go ahead and start a new conference with the likes of Niagra and Rob Morris... Nobody will give a crap and Miami will NOT sink to that level and will laugh at you.

Invest in your program and lobby for the NCHC, or hush up. Gets old.

02-14-2015 12:49 AM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
BG with a nice 4-1 victory at Ferris State, but waaaaaah...I wish they were like Miami.
02-14-2015 08:34 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

WMU knocked off #4 Nebraska-Omaha last night in Nebraska. Miami can thank us later, hopefully after another Bronco win tonight. Western is just looking for points and trying to position itself for the post season conference tournament. With as competitive as this league is, I expect plenty of jockeying for position in the next 3 weeks and weekly changes in the standings.

Quote:With the loss, Omaha forfeited the No. 1 spot in the NCHC standings to North Dakota, which beat Denver Friday. The Mavericks now share second place with Miami. Minnesota-Duluth’s win against St. Cloud brought the Bulldogs within one point of second place in a neck-and-neck race for home ice in the conference playoffs.

The Mavericks also tumbled from fourth to eighth in the PairWise standings.

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2015/02/13/t...ver-omaha/

Here is a link to the current league standings of all leagues.

Miami is sitting at 5th in the pairwise rankings, BG at 7th and WMU moved into a tie for 19th. The top 16 generally will qualify for the NCAA tournament, though not always. Depends on if there are any major upsets in conference tournaments where a team not in the top 16 can grab one of those auto bids.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-r...s/d-i-men/
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 11:04 AM by MileHighBronco.)
02-14-2015 10:57 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Miami splits a weekend series with 7th-ranked Minnesota-Duluth, we're now second place in the NCHC standings and just three points behind NoDak for first. Huge series coming up against the not-Sioux in two weeks, though we have to get past third-place Denver on the road first. We're 4th in the Pairwise rankings, NCHC teams now occupy 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 14 in the Top 16. Unfortunately, WMU isn't one of them (24).

BG lost in OT on Friday and collapsed tonight against Northern Michigan, the Falcons are firmly third in the WCHA and 13th in the Pairwise.

Big Ten only occupies one team in the Top 16 (Minnesota). I'm so heartbroken.
02-22-2015 12:21 AM
Rocket A Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(02-22-2015 12:21 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Miami splits a weekend series with 7th-ranked Minnesota-Duluth, we're now second place in the NCHC standings and just three points behind NoDak for first. Huge series coming up against the not-Sioux in two weeks, though we have to get past third-place Denver on the road first. We're 4th in the Pairwise rankings, NCHC teams now occupy 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 14 in the Top 16. Unfortunately, WMU isn't one of them (24).

BG lost in OT on Friday and collapsed tonight against Northern Michigan, the Falcons are firmly third in the WCHA and 13th in the Pairwise.

Big Ten only occupies one team in the Top 16 (Minnesota). I'm so heartbroken.

Exciting finish to the MU/UMD game last night!!!
02-22-2015 02:28 PM
Advertisement

DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Almost simultaneously Miami won in OT over #7 Minnesota Duluth and the basketball team won in OT at Akron, ending an 11 game losing streak at the JAR.
02-22-2015 02:57 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
#4 Miami splits the weekend series with #1 North Dakota after winning 6-3 on senior night. If St. Cloud State holds on to their 3-0 lead against Denver, Miami finishes second in the NCHC and will host WMU in a best-of-three series next weekend to start out the conference tourney.
03-07-2015 10:08 PM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

BG stumbled down the stretch and fell in the rankings a little. They were pretty much locked into the #3 seed in the WCHA so maybe that played a role?

They were ranked at #13 still though before last weekends sweep of lowly Alabama-Huntsville so they probably won't improve on that ranking.

They start their playoffs at home for the first time in quite awhile hosting Northern Michigan. I'm actually a little nervous that they won't be able to handle the pressure of being a post season favorite for a change...they were really good the past few years embracing the hopeless underdog role. We shall see!
03-09-2015 10:17 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

Good luck BG.

I won't be wishing Miami good luck as they host us.

Broncos will have to bring their A+ game to win that series. Shades of the old CCHA playoffs.......
03-09-2015 08:08 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Go MiamiU! & Good Luck to BG too.
03-10-2015 08:59 AM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

Go Broncos!
03-10-2015 09:00 AM
Ubish Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Go broncos! I was hoping we would face Miami.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 04:59 AM by Ubish.)
03-11-2015 04:58 AM
Bang Burger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Victory
(03-11-2015 04:58 AM)Ubish Wrote:  Go broncos! I was hoping we would face Miami.

Be careful what you wish for!
03-11-2015 08:59 AM
Ubish Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
I'm not saying it will be easy, but Miami means no late starts and the potential to travel to the games. In 7th WMU was going to have to play a really really good team either way, at least it's a good team that we are familiar with and that we can travel to.
03-13-2015 02:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.