Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NY Times: AAC a "Rump League" - After Geno Auriemma’s Reign, UConn Could Lose Clout [
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
NY Times: AAC a "Rump League" - After Geno Auriemma’s Reign, UConn Could Lose Clout [
A fair article from the world's most important newspaper.

"Second-ranked UConn (22-1) competes in a rump league called the American Athletic Conference, or A.A.C., where the level of football is as middling as the league’s finances."
"And surely it won’t help if UConn continues to face a disadvantage in its bottom line once he leaves the sideline."
“Does every university want to be in a league where you’re getting a check for $30 million just for showing up?” Auriemma said. “The answer would probably be yes, but it’s not anything we can control.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/spo...&referrer=
02-08-2015 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: NY Times: AAC a "Rump League" - After Geno Auriemma’s Reign, UConn Could Lose Clout [
Like this kind of rump:

[Image: tahiry-225x300.jpg]

or this kind of rump:

[Image: 6C7696889-color-big.blocks_desktop_medium.png]
02-08-2015 08:28 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: NY Times: AAC a "Rump League" - After Geno Auriemma’s Reign, UConn Could...
Rump or Donkey Booty?

[Image: Kenya-Moore-Phaedra-Parks.jpg]
02-08-2015 08:35 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(02-08-2015 08:19 AM)BE4evah Wrote:  "Second-ranked UConn (22-1) competes in a rump league called the American Athletic Conference, or A.A.C., where the level of football is as middling as the league’s finances."

Ouch!
02-08-2015 09:17 AM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: NY Times: AAC a "Rump League" - After Geno Auriemma’s Reign, UConn Could Lose Clout [
Just a note to non-New Yorkers: The NYT sports section is way behind the Daily NEws or Post or even NEwsday. Basically, it's a sports section for people who see themselves as being a little bit "above" interest in sports. About on the level of their coverage of the Kardsashians--a NYT article on them would have to walk the reader through who everyone is and why people are talking about them.

The target audience for a NYT sports section article is only vaguely aware that the Big East broke up and that UConn has a football team, and that somehow Rutgers is now in the Big Ten, but is hazy on the details.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 10:37 AM by johnbragg.)
02-08-2015 10:35 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
How about this rump 04-deal

[Image: Jared-Longman-articleInline.jpg]

Oh, wait, that's the authors mug. 04-cheers

"Mr. Longman was born in Coronado, Calif., on July 17, 1954, and grew up in Eunice, La. He received his bachelor’s degree in journalism from Louisiana State University in 1976."

07-coffee3

Me thinks this poindexter from LSU just has a sick up his arse. He should stick to writing about women's soccer.

By the way, how did Kevin Ollie perform in the footsteps of a legendary coach, in the AAC?
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 10:45 AM by BigEastHomer.)
02-08-2015 10:41 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online

I guess I could address the article.

If(when) Auriemma leaves, UConn will have trouble staying at the top of the WBB mountain. Duh, and the example the writer gives is post-Wooden UCLA.

The next comparison is to the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters coached by Pat Summit's kid, a non-power conference school that was a WBB power but isn't anymore.

The power conferences have all the money, and the expectation is that they will start further increasing the amounts that they spend.

Nothing in this article is any kind of news to anybody reading this board.
02-08-2015 10:49 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(02-08-2015 10:35 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Just a note to non-New Yorkers: The NYT sports section is way behind the Daily NEws or Post or even NEwsday. Basically, it's a sports section for people who see themselves as being a little bit "above" interest in sports. About on the level of their coverage of the Kardsashians--a NYT article on them would have to walk the reader through who everyone is and why people are talking about them.

The target audience for a NYT sports section article is only vaguely aware that the Big East broke up and that UConn has a football team, and that somehow Rutgers is now in the Big Ten, but is hazy on the details.

Hilarious description. Only I also wonder why people are talking about the Kardashians.
02-08-2015 10:50 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-08-2015 10:35 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Just a note to non-New Yorkers: The NYT sports section is way behind the Daily NEws or Post or even NEwsday. Basically, it's a sports section for people who see themselves as being a little bit "above" interest in sports. About on the level of their coverage of the Kardsashians--a NYT article on them would have to walk the reader through who everyone is and why people are talking about them.

To be fair, that wouldn't be true of an NYT sports section article on the Giants, or Notre Dame. And that does tell us something about the relative NYC profile of the entities you mention, such as the Big East, AAC, and UConn and Rutgers football.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 10:58 AM by quo vadis.)
02-08-2015 10:57 AM
johnbragg Online

(02-08-2015 10:57 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

To be fair, that wouldn't be true of an NYT sports section article on the Giants, or Notre Dame. And that does tell us something about the relative NYC profile of the entities you mention, such as the Big East, AAC, and UConn and Rutgers football.

Minor quibbles--the Notre Dame story probably has to remind the reader that, although they've been off the radar for two decades, they did make the national title game recently.

Articles on Big East basketball (old or new) would probably also assume familiarity, but also assume that the reader has already read that day's Daily News and Post sports sections. (In other words, the general NYT reader probably isn't reading today's article on the St Johns-Creighton game. The reader of that article is a pretty hardcore sports-news fan.)

EDIT: I guess there's a split in NYT sports articles between ones they want/expect everybody to read (those articles need a primer for the non-sports audience) and the ones they expect sports fans to read, if they've already read their main sources and are still looking for more.

Jere Longman seems more the Timesman writing stories that would interest the non-sports fan. Joe Paterno, Aaron Hernandez, Hope Solo, cities competing for the Olympics, a marathon next year in Pyongyang.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/...pe=article
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 11:28 AM by johnbragg.)
02-08-2015 11:23 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
The NY Slimes is only read by liberal elites who look down on college football and BBQ ribs.
02-08-2015 11:24 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online

(02-08-2015 11:24 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  The NY Slimes is only read by liberal elites who look down on sports and BBQ ribs.

Thank you for summarizing my longwinded discussion. Minor fix.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 11:30 AM by johnbragg.)
02-08-2015 11:30 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(02-08-2015 08:19 AM)BE4evah Wrote:  A fair article from the world's most important newspaper.

I stopped reading here. New York is so much tired old past. Texas is the future. 05-stirthepot
02-08-2015 12:16 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(02-08-2015 08:19 AM)BE4evah Wrote:  A fair article from the world's most important newspaper.

"Second-ranked UConn (22-1) competes in a rump league called the American Athletic Conference, or A.A.C., where the level of football is as middling as the league’s finances."
"And surely it won’t help if UConn continues to face a disadvantage in its bottom line once he leaves the sideline."
“Does every university want to be in a league where you’re getting a check for $30 million just for showing up?” Auriemma said. “The answer would probably be yes, but it’s not anything we can control.”

And this is news to anybody who watches college sports... why???...exactly?

Except for a handful of delusional types who think the AAC is a "major"/power conference, most of the rest of the world knows what the AAC is. And that is reflected in the small amount of compensation the conference gets.

Perhaps this columnist needs to be awarded the "Captain Obvious" award.
02-08-2015 12:49 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

[Image: WWE-SmackDown-HD.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHE...8050726854]
07-coffee3
02-08-2015 04:14 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(02-08-2015 12:49 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Except for a handful of delusional types who think the AAC is a "major"/power conference, most of the rest of the world knows what the AAC is. And that is reflected in the small amount of compensation the conference gets.

Yes, only among AAC fanboys would any of this be controversial.
02-08-2015 05:46 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online

(02-08-2015 05:46 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

OR if someone wanted to troll AAC fans.
02-08-2015 06:10 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(02-08-2015 06:10 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Bait-trolling is one of BE4evah's favorite hobbies. Mods on here encourage.it.
02-08-2015 06:18 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(02-08-2015 06:18 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 06:10 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Bait-trolling is one of BE4evah's favorite hobbies. Mods on here encourage.it.

You have a very valid point....04-cheers
02-08-2015 07:31 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I don't buy UConn's demise.

The program has too much tradition in basketball. Its a school that completely owns its state athletically, unique among any Eastern based G5 school.

The AAC isn't one of the top basketball conferences in the country but most analysts would still consider it a major basketball conference. If you look at the basketball budgets across the conference it certainly is.
02-08-2015 11:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.