Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2015 NIT to use a 30 second shot clock, extend restricted area
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
2015 NIT to use a 30 second shot clock, extend restricted area
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...-30-second

Men’s basketball teams selected to play in the 2015 Postseason NIT will compete using experimental rules, including a 30-second shot clock and a four-foot restricted-area arc. The rules will be in effect for all 31 games of the tournament...

The shot clock is being reduced by five seconds in the 32-team NIT field to see what effect it will have on pace of play and scoring. The restricted-area arc is being extended a foot to determine whether that change reduces the number of collisions under the basket.
02-07-2015 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: 2015 NIT to use a 30 second shot clock, extend restricted area
And the NIT will likely feature better basketball than the NCAA for it.
02-07-2015 12:58 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I would like to see a rule change to get rid of all team timeouts. Or at least change it so that they get only 1 timeout every 5 minutes.

Also change it so that when a team shoots a free throw, they then get the ball back.

These 2 rule changes should really speed up the end of games.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015 04:43 AM by goofus.)
02-07-2015 04:42 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
If they want higher scoring, the answer is obvious. Go back to calling fouls. College basketball is a very different game than it was in the 70s. The BE came in with their roughhouse style of basketball with bodies all over the ball handler and scores started going down, even with a shot clock. At least they started calling falls on hand checks.

But its really pretty simple. If someone is blocking you, its hard to make a basket.

I don't want a 24 second clock where the shots have to be hurried. These aren't all NBA caliber players. A 30 second clock probably won't make much difference, although it might reduce scoring efficiency. They will be a little more scoring since they have to shoot quicker, but they won't get quite as many good shots.
02-07-2015 10:28 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-07-2015 04:42 AM)goofus Wrote:  I would like to see a rule change to get rid of all team timeouts. Or at least change it so that they get only 1 timeout every 5 minutes.

Also change it so that when a team shoots a free throw, they then get the ball back.

These 2 rule changes should really speed up the end of games.

If they want to speed the flow, limit them to 1 full timeout in the last 5 minutes. Make anything else 30 seconds.
02-07-2015 10:29 AM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
Maybe players should learn to shoot shots that aren't 3's or dunks. Scoring may go up then. The mid range jumper is becoming extinct. I don't know how many times I've seen a forward or center get the ball all alone at the elbow or free throw line and never even look at the basket.
02-07-2015 11:01 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(02-07-2015 12:58 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  And the NIT will likely feature better basketball than the NCAA for it.

If the Women Game can handle a 30 Second Shot Clock the Men Game can do the same....07-coffee3
02-07-2015 11:05 AM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
What annoys me is repeated fouls at the end of every game trying to mount a 10 point comeback. I agree with goofus give the ball back after a foul. This will put an end to all the non sense. Id rather know who won the whole game not the free throw game at the end of regulation.
02-07-2015 11:05 AM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
(02-07-2015 11:05 AM)cleburneslim Wrote:  What annoys me is repeated fouls at the end of every game trying to mount a 10 point comeback. I agree with goofus give the ball back after a foul. This will put an end to all the non sense. Id rather know who won the whole game not the free throw game at the end of regulation.

Maybe let the team shooting FT's shoot 3 so teams don't trade 2 FT's for a 3 pointer on the other end.
02-07-2015 11:22 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I don't expect a 30 second shot clock to have a significant impact on the amount of scoring, nor do I understand why having slightly higher average scores will improve the game. A 65-63 game can be just as exciting as a 72-70 game.

I have always had issue with the impact that fouling strategy in the end game has had on basketball at all levels. Current rules would appear to be intended to deliberately favor the losing team in order to keep TV audiences from tuning out before the game is over. This is similar to some football all-star games where the trailing team gets to receive the kickoff after every score to keep the games close.

I agree with the idea that at some point - say the last minute, or when the shot clock is off - teams shouldn't be rewarded for fouling by letting them trade two free throws for a chance to make a three pointer. I would also suggest that if a trailing team commits a foul in the backcourt during those last seconds, there be an automatic runoff of 5-10 seconds in addition to the free throws.
02-07-2015 11:43 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
The NBA put in a rule that any foul in the last 2 minutes away from the ball was essentially a technical. That would cut down on a lot of nonsense. I'd also ditch the 1-and-1 and start shooting two shots at the 8th team foul of the half.

A very simple rule change would be that any foul committed in 3-point territory that results in foul shots being awarded results in 3 shots, even if no shot was being attempted - it would take the decision out of the hands of the officials. If you want to make things a little easier on the defense you can change the rule so the offense has eight seconds to advance the ball over the half-court line instead of ten.
02-07-2015 08:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(02-07-2015 11:43 AM)ken d Wrote:  I don't expect a 30 second shot clock to have a significant impact on the amount of scoring, nor do I understand why having slightly higher average scores will improve the game. A 65-63 game can be just as exciting as a 72-70 game.

I have always had issue with the impact that fouling strategy in the end game has had on basketball at all levels. Current rules would appear to be intended to deliberately favor the losing team in order to keep TV audiences from tuning out before the game is over. This is similar to some football all-star games where the trailing team gets to receive the kickoff after every score to keep the games close.

I agree with the idea that at some point - say the last minute, or when the shot clock is off - teams shouldn't be rewarded for fouling by letting them trade two free throws for a chance to make a three pointer. I would also suggest that if a trailing team commits a foul in the backcourt during those last seconds, there be an automatic runoff of 5-10 seconds in addition to the free throws.

A few possible rule tweaks:

1. Borrow the international basketball rule that allows a team who is fouled in the last few minutes to choose to take the ball out of bounds instead of shooting free throws if they so choose.

2. Change the "bonus" rules on free throws so that every foul by the defense in the last two minutes is automatically two free throws, no one-and-one. Or go even farther and borrow the old ABA rule, where the player who is fouled gets three chances to make two free throws.

3. Every non-shooting foul committed by the defense in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half or overtime counts as two fouls against the player committing the foul, so that any player who already has 3 or 4 fouls will foul out if they commit a non-shooting foul in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half or overtime.
02-07-2015 10:24 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
I like all these. So why is the ncaa not run by anyone with any common sense?
02-07-2015 10:29 PM
Badger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wisconsin
NBA basketball is boring. Endless pick and rolls, no full court defense, unimaginative half court defensive sets, hurried shots, overly restricted competition, and unenthused crowds. If people love scoring so much, remove defense almost entirely and why not go to a ten second shot clock? Teams would get to 100 points in less than an hour and everyone can go home early. Keep the college shot clock as is. No need to fix something that is not broken. 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015 10:42 PM by Badger.)
02-07-2015 10:40 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(02-07-2015 11:01 AM)PirateJim Wrote:  Maybe players should learn to shoot shots that aren't 3's or dunks. Scoring may go up then. The mid range jumper is becoming extinct. I don't know how many times I've seen a forward or center get the ball all alone at the elbow or free throw line and never even look at the basket.

04-bow
02-07-2015 10:57 PM
David HD Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NJIT
(02-07-2015 10:28 AM)bullet Wrote:  If they want higher scoring, the answer is obvious. Go back to calling fouls. College basketball is a very different game than it was in the 70s. The BE came in with their roughhouse style of basketball with bodies all over the ball handler and scores started going down, even with a shot clock. At least they started calling falls on hand checks.

But its really pretty simple. If someone is blocking you, its hard to make a basket.

I don't want a 24 second clock where the shots have to be hurried. These aren't all NBA caliber players. A 30 second clock probably won't make much difference, although it might reduce scoring efficiency. They will be a little more scoring since they have to shoot quicker, but they won't get quite as many good shots.

(02-07-2015 11:05 AM)cleburneslim Wrote:  What annoys me is repeated fouls at the end of every game trying to mount a 10 point comeback. I agree with goofus give the ball back after a foul. This will put an end to all the non sense. Id rather know who won the whole game not the free throw game at the end of regulation.

I agree about calling fouls. They tried to implement that last year, and it was working, but they slowly transitioned away from it. Fans early in the season complained about all the fouls being called, and I get that, but EVENTUALLY the players would stop fouling and the game would be a lot better.

I also agree about the fouls at the end of a game. It's ridiculous. If a player is purposely fouling without even attempting to look like they're pretending to play defense, then by definition it is an intentional foul or flagrant foul. I wish they'd start calling it that way.

Someone else said it, but there are too many timeouts. Teams don't need five extra timeouts when there are already eight (and really ten) media timeouts. Cut it down to two instead of five.

I also wish referees would familiarize themselves the definition of the word "INDISPUTABLE." When going to the video, if it takes you more than sixty seconds to make a decision, then by definition there must be some dispute. Therefore, after a minute if you're still unsure, the original call should stand and they need to get on with the game. Delaying the game for several minutes several times a game is actually far more disruptive than making a bad call that couldn't have been THAT bad of a call if you're still not sure it was a bad call after looking at it a second and third time for sixty seconds.

The 35 second shotclock doesn't bother me, but a 30 second shotclock wouldn't bother me either. I certainly wouldn't want to see it any lower than that. The thing I love about college basketball is that there are so many different strategies and styles of play. Trying to force everyone to play uptempo would take away from that. I like that when you see teams who like to run take on teams that like to force a halfcourt game play each other. The attempt to control the tempo is a game within a game.

Now, I don't think teams should be able to completely stall a game, which is why I like a shotclock, but I don't think it needs to be any lower than 30 secs. My preference would be that it stays at 35 and they find other ways to speed up the game, like what other people in this thread have suggested.
02-10-2015 02:22 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(02-07-2015 08:32 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  The NBA put in a rule that any foul in the last 2 minutes away from the ball was essentially a technical. That would cut down on a lot of nonsense. I'd also ditch the 1-and-1 and start shooting two shots at the 8th team foul of the half.

A very simple rule change would be that any foul committed in 3-point territory that results in foul shots being awarded results in 3 shots, even if no shot was being attempted - it would take the decision out of the hands of the officials. If you want to make things a little easier on the defense you can change the rule so the offense has eight seconds to advance the ball over the half-court line instead of ten.

I think the college game is just fine. I like that college teams play defense, and that they have the time to run a real offensive set. 30 second shot clocks are too fast - you run your set twice and then have to rush a shot up.

However I agree that the last 2 minutes take too long. The 2 rules proposed by chargeradio would do a lot to speed up the end of games.
02-10-2015 02:31 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

Watched Duke vs. Florida State. The final 0:58 took 14 minutes to play.

Five timeouts per team is too many and fouling is too rewarding.

I like the 30 second clock, it has worked fine with the women.

I would also eliminate the 10 count to cross mid-court (like the women), it doesn't negate the effectiveness of the press as a strategy and eliminates a potential officiating error.
02-11-2015 01:49 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(02-11-2015 01:49 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

I would also eliminate the 10 count to cross mid-court (like the women), it doesn't negate the effectiveness of the press as a strategy and eliminates a potential officiating error.

The 30 second clock should work pretty well. I wouldn't want to change the 10 count to cross mid-court (In fact, I'd implement it in the women's game as well. It's about time that is added in).

But what I WOULD do is eliminate the reset on a timeout; once the ball is brought in-bounds you have 10 seconds to cross mid-court, period. It's not fair to the defense if they are able to successfully trap a team in the backcourt for 8 or 9 seconds without fouling, only to see a timeout called and the offense have it reset to 10 seconds again. Whatever is left on that count should be how much time the offense has to cross mid-court.
02-11-2015 02:14 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(02-11-2015 02:14 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(02-11-2015 01:49 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

The 30 second clock should work pretty well. I wouldn't want to change the 10 count to cross mid-court (In fact, I'd implement it in the women's game as well. It's about time that is added in).

But what I WOULD do is eliminate the reset on a timeout; once the ball is brought in-bounds you have 10 seconds to cross mid-court, period. It's not fair to the defense if they are able to successfully trap a team in the backcourt for 8 or 9 seconds without fouling, only to see a timeout called and the offense have it reset to 10 seconds again. Whatever is left on that count should be how much time the offense has to cross mid-court.

My problem with the ten count is that it rarely comes into play and when it does, video often shows the official's count tends to be slow though I've seen a couple times when it was called with more than 25 seconds left on the shot clock.

If we aren't going to use a clock to measure it, get rid of it.
02-11-2015 02:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.