Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New CMU coach ... what an underwhelming hire
Bookmark and Share
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
New CMU coach ... what an underwhelming hire
Really? Can't be a whole lot of excitement over hiring a long time special teams coordinator.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/li.../23004521/
02-06-2015 06:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
RE: New CMU coach ... what an underwhelming hire
Reading the reactions on FootballScoop's twitter feed, it's a little concerning.
02-06-2015 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies
I don't understand the angst. Butch Jones was no more qualified and he did fine. He's also a CMU guy, which should make at least some alums happy.
02-06-2015 08:13 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies
(02-06-2015 08:13 PM)CMichFan Wrote:  I don't understand the angst. Butch Jones was no more qualified and he did fine. He's also a CMU guy, which should make at least some alums happy.

Butch Jones also had Brian Kelly's recruits.
02-06-2015 08:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CMichFan Offline

Crappies
(02-06-2015 08:59 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 08:13 PM)CMichFan Wrote:  I don't understand the angst. Butch Jones was no more qualified and he did fine. He's also a CMU guy, which should make at least some alums happy.

True. But unlike Enos, Bonamego will start with a veteran QB who just came off a record-setting performance. We also return our P, PK, and at least nine other starters from a team that many believe underachieved last season. And, it should be pointed out, CMU is sending several guys to the NFL Combine. This suggests that Enos, for all his perceived flaws, at least knew how to recruit. The cupboard is hardly empty.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 09:15 PM by CMichFan.)
02-06-2015 09:14 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator from 1988 through 2007, in addition to also being a DB coach from 1997 onward. Not saying Bonamego will have as much success in Mt. Pleasant that Harbaugh has had with the Ravens, but I don't think this is an awful hire. Underwhelming perhaps, but CMU is getting an alum with extensive NFL experience, not a bad deal by any means.
02-06-2015 10:53 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(02-06-2015 09:14 PM)CMichFan Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 08:59 PM)HuronDave Wrote:  

True. But unlike Enos, Bonamego will start with a veteran QB who just came off a record-setting performance. We also return our P, PK, and at least nine other starters from a team that many believe underachieved last season. And, it should be pointed out, CMU is sending several guys to the NFL Combine. This suggests that Enos, for all his perceived flaws, at least knew how to recruit. The cupboard is hardly empty.

Sounds like 4th place in the MAC West.
02-06-2015 11:34 PM
broncojohnny Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Are you people insane???? This dude got canned by Miami..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...r-meltdown
02-08-2015 08:26 AM
CMichFan Offline

Crappies
(02-08-2015 08:26 AM)broncojohnny Wrote:  Are you people insane???? This dude got canned by Miami..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81...r-meltdown

That Miami team was completely dysfunctional, or did you forget about Incognito and the utter meltdown which happened later? 01-wingedeagle Tough to blame the special teams guy for THAT mess! And as for the Lions, once they found a kicker who doesn't wilt under pressure, they were mostly fine. A couple bonehead decisions by our returner aside.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 09:33 PM by CMichFan.)
02-08-2015 09:32 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
the idea is that he's been a coordinator for a long time at the highest level. so, he has a ton of experience being in a position of responsibility in the big time. meanwhile, he has the alumni and local history. some times coaches who are good managers and administrators are just as successful. you want to know how good he will be? see who he hires as his coordinators.
02-09-2015 03:24 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(02-09-2015 03:24 AM)pono Wrote:  the idea is that he's been a coordinator for a long time at the highest level. so, he has a ton of experience being in a position of responsibility in the big time. meanwhile, he has the alumni and local history. some times coaches who are good managers and administrators are just as successful. you want to know how good he will be? see who he hires as his coordinators.

For whatever reason the MAC has turned away from the high profile hires (maybe because of money or maybe because they are 'one (successful season) and done').

Hire a good P5 coordinator, if you can, and then have a good season and he's gone... The MAC HC is a stepping stone job to a P5 HC job.

This coach, the new HC at UB, EMU's HC, etc. are guys who have a record of staying at jobs.

EMU fans (circa '93/'94) may remember Ron Cooper. Never stayed at a job longer than a year or two. He recruited very well at EMU. Turned the program upward and left for Louisville after his 2nd year (in 1995 Rick Rasnick won with Cooper's recruits - although Rasnick was a really good offensive coach).
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 06:44 AM by emu steve.)
02-09-2015 06:43 AM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
UB's HC has had incredible success at the D3 level(played in the title game 9 of the last 10 seasons) and has lots of midwestern contacts from which to source talent. There may be some growing pains for him at a higher level but I'd be very surprised if he did not have the Bulls competing for MAC East titles in short order
02-09-2015 11:27 AM
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

Hopefully he can be our version of Joe Novak (minus the 3-30 start).
02-09-2015 12:19 PM
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
we hired someone with the utmost loyalty and passion for his alma mater, describing this as his dream job ( not coach speak guy was really tearing up) now will this transpose to wins on the field, who knows, but it is nice having a coach with such high regards to the university he is coaching. guy is all in.
02-10-2015 08:18 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(02-10-2015 08:18 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  we hired someone with the utmost loyalty and passion for his alma mater, describing this as his dream job ( not coach speak guy was really tearing up) now will this transpose to wins on the field, who knows, but it is nice having a coach with such high regards to the university he is coaching. guy is all in.

What I like is that CMU won't have to replace him if he goes to two bowls in two years... 04-bow
02-10-2015 09:10 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(02-10-2015 09:10 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:18 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  we hired someone with the utmost loyalty and passion for his alma mater, describing this as his dream job ( not coach speak guy was really tearing up) now will this transpose to wins on the field, who knows, but it is nice having a coach with such high regards to the university he is coaching. guy is all in.

What I like is that CMU won't have to replace him if he goes to two bowls in two years... 04-bow

well hopefully! most coaches give the "coach speak" i love university x, this is my dream job, etc, BUT I really do believe coach Bonamego, some posters on our board know him personally and it is legit this was his dream job, he has applied for this job 2 other times before. I am in, he is saying all the right things, loves CMU, hopefully he can get things turned around for us04-cheers
02-10-2015 10:39 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
MAC head coach with 12years NFL exoerience.How the hell can that be a terrible hire? It seems to me they got a good footbll man. We will find out if he can recruit, schemes should be fine. Seems like the trend is going away from spread in MAC,especially among new coach hires. Wmu,Miami, CMU
02-10-2015 04:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.