Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for UCONN fans
SouthernBoiNOLA Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Question for UCONN fans
I was reading this article talking about why doesn't UCONN go back to the Big East. I didn't agree with the article, but I wanted to get the opinion of the UCONN fan base

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2015/2/5...e-big-east
02-06-2015 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
RE: Question for UCONN fans
The big east has become the forgotten conference if UConn was to return there it would be a huge mistake.

IMO
02-06-2015 10:59 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
UCONN needs stay put in the next best thing after a P5 conference, which is the AAC.

The only thing I would like to see is the UCONN women's basketball program going independent (which is a moot point due to conference membership regulations).
02-06-2015 11:03 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
UConn would probably consider it if we lose 2 or more programs from the AAC. The school isn't going to just quit on big time football and it's goal to return to the P5 until it is clear there is no hope. Going to the Big East would be accepting mid-majorship forever.

I lifted this from a poster on the BY concerning all the factual errors in the post which I thought was a fun read.

- UConn didn't leave the Big East and did not join a new conference.
- UConn's Field Hockey doesn't travel to Dallas to play SMU, they are members of the NBE!
- UConn's reported football attendance was not 24,000, it was slightly over 27,000.
- None of these universities, aside from Georgetown, are national universities. USNWR doesn't even categorize these universities with UConn.
- SMU is ranked in the top 25.
- The NBE is having a better year this year, and may indeed be a better conference top to bottom, but they performed worse than the American last year, even when you back out Louisville.
- When you divide $500M by 12 years and 10 teams you get $4.1M. He can't even do basic math.
- The ACC contract is about $2.2M ($1.9M [ESPN] & .3M [CBS]. Also, the ACC (if it stays intact) is 3 years away from negotiating an increase. The NBE will be making the same draw a decade from now.
- He avoids the advantage of the AAC's guaranteed national TV exposure and ratings delta. Has anyone watched Seton Hall play this year? I haven't, but I've been force fed a bunch of UCF, Tulane and ECU.
- Who has watched a MAC football game on TV this year? Not many.
- He doesn't bother to mention the exit money and NCAA tourney payout.
02-06-2015 11:21 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(02-06-2015 10:45 AM)SouthernBoiNOLA Wrote:  I was reading this article talking about why doesn't UCONN go back to the Big East.

Because it would be the dumbest move in college athletics since the Big East turned down Penn State.
02-06-2015 11:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(02-06-2015 11:21 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  UConn would probably consider it if we lose 2 or more programs from the AAC. The school isn't going to just quit on big time football and it's goal to return to the P5 until it is clear there is no hope. Going to the Big East would be accepting mid-majorship forever.

I lifted this from a poster on the BY concerning all the factual errors in the post which I thought was a fun read.

- UConn's Field Hockey doesn't travel to Dallas to play SMU, they are members of the NBE!
- UConn's reported football attendance was not 24,000, it was slightly over 27,000.
- None of these universities, aside from Georgetown, are national universities. USNWR doesn't even categorize these universities with UConn.
- The NBE is having a better year this year, and may indeed be a better conference top to bottom, but they performed worse than the American last year, even when you back out Louisville.
- When you divide $500M by 12 years and 10 teams you get $4.1M. He can't even do basic math.
- The ACC contract is about $2.2M ($1.9M [ESPN] & .3M [CBS]. Also, the ACC (if it stays intact) is 3 years away from negotiating an increase. The NBE will be making the same draw a decade from now.
- He avoids the advantage of the AAC's guaranteed national TV exposure and ratings delta. Has anyone watched Seton Hall play this year? I haven't, but I've been force fed a bunch of UCF, Tulane and ECU.

Ya, I didn't finish the article. Couldn't get past all the erroneous information.
02-06-2015 11:26 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(02-06-2015 11:03 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  UCONN needs stay put in the next best thing after a P5 conference, which is the AAC.

The only thing I would like to see is the UCONN women's basketball program going to the WNBA (which is a moot point due to conference membership regulations).

FIFY.

Lady Huskies need real competition.
02-06-2015 11:32 AM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(02-06-2015 11:21 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  UConn would probably consider it if we lose 2 or more programs from the AAC. The school isn't going to just quit on big time football and it's goal to return to the P5 until it is clear there is no hope. Going to the Big East would be accepting mid-majorship forever.

Is the "ACC" typo yours, or his? Serious question...
02-06-2015 12:37 PM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

UConn fans are certainly not happy but most of us don't see the NBE as the solution to our problems. Sure, it would be nice to have regional rivals again, but the institutional profiles between NBE members and UConn is too different IMO. We belong with primarily large public schools and at least that is what the majority of the AAC is. It definitely sucks only having 1 drivable conference road game though when we used to have like 8 or whatever.
02-06-2015 12:41 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

(02-06-2015 12:37 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  

I copy and pasted - so the other poster's. I didn't even catch it.
02-06-2015 12:45 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(02-06-2015 12:45 PM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  

That's cool. I only asked because I usually can guess whether or not it's the posters typo and read accordingly. This time, I wasn't sure.
02-06-2015 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

(02-06-2015 01:33 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 12:45 PM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  

That's cool. I only asked because I usually can guess whether or not it's the posters typo and read accordingly. This time, I wasn't sure.

There is also a certain bit of irony involved in an error in a post correcting errors in a article. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 01:53 PM by Hank Schrader.)
02-06-2015 01:51 PM
huskiesnyc Offline
Bench Warmer

For the record not one UConn fan is happy to be in the AAC, but it's our current home and going back to the BE would mean cutting football. P5 or bust!
02-06-2015 02:44 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-06-2015 02:44 PM)huskiesnyc Wrote:  For the record not one UConn fan is happy to be in the AAC, but it's our current home and going back to the BE would mean cutting football. P5 or bust!

Well said. It's what I ve been picking up from every UCONN fan...
02-06-2015 02:58 PM
nightoftheowls Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: T for Temple U
Why would the MAC (or any league for that matter) allow UConn to join as a FB only member? About a year ago, the MAC gave UMass an ultimatum...join for all sports or take your football elsewhere and UMass chose the latter.
02-06-2015 03:35 PM
jwawker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn, Colo St.
The Big East is a boat that has sailed.

I don't see UConn's football improving enough in the near future to warrant an invite from a P5 conference, given the superior football being played by some of UConn's conference peers. However the dream of moving up is still alive so it is too early to concede defeat and downgrade football.

My biggest concern is the lack of competition for the women's BB team. To have to rely totally on OOC games is problematic and down the road it could negatively impact recruiting. As long as Geno is at the helm though I am not worried about any significant regression.

I am hopeful that it is just a matter of time until rivalries develop. Too many matchups just seem like teams thrown together with nothing in common between them.
02-06-2015 03:50 PM
Advertisement

HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

(02-06-2015 03:35 PM)nightoftheowls Wrote:  Why would the MAC (or any league for that matter) allow UConn to join as a FB only member? About a year ago, the MAC gave UMass an ultimatum...join for all sports or take your football elsewhere and UMass chose the latter.

UConn is a bigger overall brand than UMass with a much larger fanbase but I agree that its doubtful that any conference would bend over backward for our football program in its current state.
02-06-2015 04:38 PM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

(02-06-2015 03:50 PM)jwawker Wrote:  The Big East is a boat that has sailed.

I don't see UConn's football improving enough in the near future to warrant an invite from a P5 conference, given the superior football being played by some of UConn's conference peers. However the dream of moving up is still alive so it is too early to concede defeat and downgrade football.

My biggest concern is the lack of competition for the women's BB team. To have to rely totally on OOC games is problematic and down the road it could negatively impact recruiting. As long as Geno is at the helm though I am not worried about any significant regression.

I am hopeful that it is just a matter of time until rivalries develop. Too many matchups just seem like teams thrown together with nothing in common between them.

It's going to be hard to really develop rivalries that the fanbase cares about. Hopefully we can get something going with Temple. Our game against them this year was a good start for that. Personally, I'd still like to see UMass added. That would help UConn tremendously as far as regaining some regional relevance within our conference. But it really just is what it is. We just have to play the games that are scheduled. It feels like a whole season of OOC games.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 04:46 PM by HartfordHusky.)
02-06-2015 04:44 PM
LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
(02-06-2015 03:35 PM)nightoftheowls Wrote:  Why would the MAC (or any league for that matter) allow UConn to join as a FB only member? About a year ago, the MAC gave UMass an ultimatum...join for all sports or take your football elsewhere and UMass chose the latter.

The MAC didn't want 13 members in football, and couldn't find a 14th team that they thought was worth adding as a football-only (Army presumably wasn't interested). And adding a 14th team as an all-sports member would mean they'd have 13 in most other sports, so that wouldn't help either.

But if the MAC was happy with the Temple/UMass combo, especially considering the condition of Temple's football program when they joined the MAC, why wouldn't they be happy with a UMass/UConn combo under the same terms? The MAC made out like bandits under the Temple/UMass deal.

That said, it's not going to happen, but not because the MAC wouldn't be interested.
02-06-2015 05:35 PM
nightoftheowls Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: T for Temple U
(02-06-2015 05:35 PM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  The MAC made out like bandits under the Temple/UMass deal.

I see it the other way...Temple and UMass made out like bandits, while the MAC gained very little.

When the MAC accepted Temple as a FB only member circa 2005, Temple was the laughing stock of college FB and had won only 3 games in 2 seasons. The Temple BOT almost dissolved the program (they were 1 vote shy) in the wake of becoming the first program ever to get evicted from a conference. Regardless, the MAC threw Temple a much needed lifeline and at the same time allowed them to preserve their hoops program by staying in the A-10...all of this for 4 lousy b-ball games a year against MAC schools.

I don't know the specifics regarding Umass' plan to upgrade to d-1, but if FB only membership with the MAC wasn't in place, would UMass have even moved up from d1-aa to d-1?
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 06:46 PM by nightoftheowls.)
02-06-2015 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.