Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sen. Cotton Unloads On Guantanamo: "Terrorists Can Rot In Hell,"
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
Sen. Cotton Unloads On Guantanamo: "Terrorists Can Rot In Hell,"
[Image: 2vv2r0g.jpg]

Senator Cotton absolutely blew up the liberal myth that Muslim terrorists attack us because of Guantanamo Bay. Finally a Senator with some badass attitude. He earned it too, because he is a Vet who served in Iraq.

Video here

Quote:SEN.TOM COTTON (R-ARKANSAS): OK, now I want to explore the so-called risk balance between recidivism of released terrorists and the propaganda value that terrorists get from Guantanamo Bay. How many recidivists are there at Guantanamo Bay right now?

BRIAN MCKEON, DEPUTY UNDERSECRETARY FOR DEFENSE POLICY: I'm not sure I follow the question, there are --

TOM COTTON: How many inmates at Guantanamo Bay are engaged in terrorism or anti-American incitement?

BRIAN MCKEON: There are none--

TOM COTTON: Because they are detained. They can only engage in that kind of recidivism overseas.

Now let's look at the propaganda value: How many detainees were at Guantanamo Bay on September 11, 2001?

BRIAN MCKEON: None.

TOM COTTON: How many were therein October 2000, when al-Qaeda bombed the U.S.S. Cole?

BRIAN MCKEON: Zero.

TOM COTTON: What about in 1998 when they bombed the embassies [in Kenya and Tanzania]?

BRIAN MCKEON: The facility was not open before 2002, Senator.

TOM COTTON: What about 1993 and the first World Trade Center bombing?

BRIAN MCKEON: Same answer.

TOM COTTON: And 1979 when Iran took over our embassy? Or 1983 when Hezbollah bombed our Marine Baracks in Lebanon? The answer is zero.

BRIAN MCKEON: Correct.

TOM COTTON: Islamic terrorists do not need an excuse to attack the United States, to attack us is what they do, they attack us for what we are.

It is not your decision. It is a political promise the president made on his campaign. To say [closing the base] is a security decision based propaganda value that our enemies get from it is a pretext to justify a political decision.

In my opinion the only problem with Guantanamo Bay is there are too many empty beds and cells there right now. We should be sending more terrorists there for further interrogation to keep this country safe. As far as I'm concerned every last one of them can rot in Hell, but as long as they don't do that they can rot in Guantanamo Bay.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 10:10 PM by EagleRockCafe.)
02-05-2015 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Sen. Cotton Unloads On Guantanamo: "Terrorists Can Rot In Hell,"
The only problem with Gitmo is that those people are there alive instead of dead and buried.
02-05-2015 10:07 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(02-05-2015 10:07 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  The only problem with Gitmo is that those people are there alive instead of dead and buried.

If there were more American deserters, we could empty out Gitmo.
02-05-2015 10:34 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Arresting and holding these people created a problem with no out. It's the legacy of some of the short-sighted **** the Bush admin. did.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 10:51 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
02-05-2015 10:51 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
(02-05-2015 10:51 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Arresting and holding these people created a problem with no out. It's the legacy of some of the short-sighted **** the Bush admin. did.

Wrong.
02-05-2015 10:59 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-05-2015 10:59 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 10:51 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Arresting and holding these people created a problem with no out. It's the legacy of some of the short-sighted **** the Bush admin. did.

Wrong.

As if you would know

As it stand we have them and can't let them go and can't do anything with them.
02-05-2015 11:00 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

Arresting is not really the proper term. They were prisoners of war, not criminal suspects/detainees, except that we never had a declared war, just congressional authorizations. That's sufficient to make it not an "illegal war," but muddies the legal waters quite a bit. As prisoners of war, holding them until the war is over would be entirely justified under international law.

To the extent that the war on terror has been treated as a law enforcement action, that is another major mistake.

And extending Geneva Conventions rights and privileges unilaterally was another major mistake. Those people have no standing under the Geneva Conventions, and under international common law could be shot as spies. That's what should have happened.
02-05-2015 11:04 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-05-2015 11:04 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Arresting is not really the proper term. They were prisoners of war, not criminal suspects/detainees, except that we never had a declared war, just congressional authorizations. That's sufficient to make it not an "illegal war," but muddies the legal waters quite a bit. As prisoners of war, holding them until the war is over would be entirely justified under international law.

To the extent that the war on terror has been treated as a law enforcement action, that is another major mistake.

And extending Geneva Conventions rights and privileges unilaterally was another major mistake. Those people have no standing under the Geneva Conventions, and under international common law could be shot as spies. That's what should have happened.

You can call it whatever you want. The entire operation is a legal quagmire.

Disposal is the problem. There isn't anything positive that can be done with these people. That's the short sighted part. Now, we just have them.

That's not a solid position to be in for a nation that prides itself on the rule of law.
02-05-2015 11:23 PM
MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
(02-05-2015 11:00 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  As it stand we have them and can't let them go and can't do anything with them.

Take a small cage, a 5 gallon gas can, and a few matches and we can do something with them. Use them as charcoal while we smoke a pork shoulder.
02-05-2015 11:24 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Feed them to some feral hogs.
02-05-2015 11:35 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Dump them in the ocean where the Sharks live , see if They can swim back to Iraq and Afghanistan .
02-06-2015 07:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.