Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some quotes from RA during Signing Day Celebration
Bookmark and Share
mat1992 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Towson
Some quotes from RA during Signing Day Celebration
Some interesting comments
"They were brought here to represent the institution. Each one of these kids sat and listened to the discussion about how to be successful at the next level. Walk in the door being humble and hungry. Each one of those kids gets it. Maybe this class plays a little sooner than the other classes because they have the right attitude."

"There will be players to be named later." (He didn't mention how many.)

I asked Rob if there were any players from this class playing the spring, he mentioned just two:
Kevin Olsen and Richy Anderson.

On Kevin Olsen
"He's been on the radar since he was in high school. I got a chance to see his high school film when he was a sophomore. I said his film was the best I've seen in 15 years and he wasn't 16 years old. He has a pretty famous brother (TE Greg) that went to the Pro Bowl and went to Miami. That wasn't as good a fit as what Kevin found Towson for him. The family is in. The kid is in. We're happy to have him.

On Olsen, any promises about playing time?
"One of the top 10 quarterbacks of the county coming out of high school. Did I make any promises about playing time? No. A resounding no. The number four quarterback in the country had to convince us to take him. The promises that have been made were on his behalf. To make sure that he represents our institution extremely well. We have deep respect for his family and he as a player. All he needed and wanted was an opportunity. We have some quarterbacks in the stable. I say that there's a very high percentage that we will play three quarterbacks next season in one game."

Good recruiting stories? What about players who had FBS offers
Most can't be told in public. Close to 50% of these guys had 1A offers. One guy said that when he wanted to come here, everybody in the room stopped. Big 10, Big 12, AAC, ACC. Half of this class decided that Towson University was the experience they wanted over anywhere (FBS included).

On Pettus-Dixon de-committing from UConn
He was committed to us before he de-committed from them. I have to give Reno Ferri and Derrick Johnson credit because they spent in-house time with that family. He's from Baltimore. Representing his home turf is much more important than big fluff and pomp and circumstance and signing days. He's a tremendous addition to the black and gold. We didn't get on him after he de-committed but everybody else did. He said I found my home, I found my family. TU15.

On Shane Simpson
For him, his skill set is so broad. He can run the ball and he plays big for his size. He can play in space and tight spaces. This is one of the guys who can in the future, play running back, punt returner, kick returner, wide receiver. He has a lot of potential. Comes from a great family. He LOVES this school. He was getting recruited by everybody nationally. He came in on the visit with black and gold shoes, shirt and a hat. He loves this place. Every single guy that we talked about tonight. Did not end up here. He chose this educational institution over Ivy League schools.

On recruiting 3 stars
To me, everybody is a five star guy on this board. The stars don't matter. In social media, every kid goes to camps and they all know each other. They talk to each other. Lyrics Klugh and Justice Pettus-Dixon. They talk to kids. Social media gets it done. They start selling it for you. They are an ambassadors. Guys that haven't even taken a snap are preaching the gospel.

On character issues
"You have to be a really good football player. You need to help us win games and be a little better than the guys we already have (in terms of potential). We have to get kids that want a college degree. They know in their heart of hearts that the snaps they get are limited, but the degree lasts forever. I tell the parents and the kids that I do not want them representing this institution on ESPN.com for the wrong reasons. They are responsible for things greater than themselves every day. Nobody cares the Joe Schmo the supermarket guy did bad things. These guys are under a microscope. We say no to thousands before we say yes to 18 and we still don't get it right. We do our best to find the ones that will represent this institution. This is my school, my town, my state. I don't want them screwing it up. Kids are going to make mistakes. If you make one mistake, it's one thing. If you make the same mistake again, it's not a mistake, it's a decision. We do our best to make sure that these guys are going to represent this institution today, tomorrow and when they graduate. All of these guys on TV can take their bags of money, and we're going to beat them with the right guys doing it the right way over and over again.
02-04-2015 11:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.