UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Follow South Alabama's example
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
Follow South Alabama's example
We should have gone this route. They left the UABoT cartel.

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1646
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 08:16 PM by BTR.)
02-04-2015 08:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Follow South Alabama's example
[Image: 6245743690_b101ab56d7.jpg]
02-04-2015 08:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I'm sure UAT learned their lesson in how to keep control after they lost USA
02-04-2015 08:22 PM
dblaze Offline
2nd String

Thanks for sharing, BTR. I never knew that USA was part of the UA system.
02-04-2015 11:13 PM
kdblazer Offline
All American

Well if the business community as a whole joined our efforts I think it could happen for us as well. UAB has out grown the current configuration and to be honest with all the BOT dirty laundry out in the public domain now can UAB ever trust the system again?
02-04-2015 11:31 PM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB, UofA
They would cut UAH lose in a minute. Ain't gonna happen here. AUB Med School dollars are too sweet. South started their Med School after the separation.

No way, ain't gonna happen. Ever.
02-05-2015 12:11 AM
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(02-05-2015 12:11 AM)PTBlazer Wrote:  They would cut UAH lose in a minute. Ain't gonna happen here. AUB Med School dollars are too sweet. South started their Med School after the separation.

Auburn has a medical school?
02-05-2015 12:14 AM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

(02-05-2015 12:14 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 12:11 AM)PTBlazer Wrote:  They would cut UAH lose in a minute. Ain't gonna happen here. UAB Med School dollars are too sweet. South started their Med School after the separation.

Auburn has a medical school?

Sorry, too many beers tonight.
02-05-2015 12:17 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

This brings up a good point. I know its been debated on here plenty of times, but wouldn't we get the med school. The physical school is in Birmingham with UAB across everything. No matter how much they want to say it's the UA health system, its the UAB school of medicine.
02-05-2015 03:14 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(02-05-2015 03:14 AM)rook360 Wrote:  This brings up a good point. I know its been debated on here plenty of times, but [why] wouldn't we get the med school. The physical school is in Birmingham with UAB across everything. No matter how much they want to say it's the UA health system, its the UAB school of medicine.

The standard answer has been that the Trustees will never give in on that issue, and there's good reason to say that.

However, they also will ]never give in on several other issues: UAB football, autonomy for UAB etc. Once their hold on power has been shattered and UAB football has been taken back, yes, we'll take the SOM too and hear the lamentations of their barnyard animals.

This is revolution. We are marching against the corrupt 19th Century political order of this state, and we are going to win this struggle no matter how long it takes.

We fight.
02-05-2015 07:16 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(02-05-2015 12:11 AM)PTBlazer Wrote:  They would cut UAH lose in a minute. Ain't gonna happen here. AUB Med School dollars are too sweet. South started their Med School after the separation.

Sorry, but you and others need to quit thinking that way. If you are saying they (the BOT) will never give up control, then I agree, but we're not asking them to. We are going to force them to. The legislature is still the most powerful group of people in this state, and they CAN and WILL quash the BOT if they believe it is right. A lot of them already believe it. Others are listening. Read about USA. Tuscaloosa didn't voluntarily give them up. The legislature forced the split.

It can be done. Go to Montgomery and ask for it.
02-05-2015 09:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blzrclub80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Why did Birmingham not take the same course as USA? Now, let's all remember together. What was Birmingham focusing on and garnering national attention for in the 1960-1964 time period? Sad
02-05-2015 09:52 AM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

(02-05-2015 03:14 AM)rook360 Wrote:  This brings up a good point. I know its been debated on here plenty of times, but wouldn't we get the med school. The physical school is in Birmingham with UAB across everything. No matter how much they want to say it's the UA health system, its the UAB school of medicine.

The State of Alabama has a very different and ineffective governmental structure for higher education, which exacerbates the problem here. Georgia for example is governed by the University Systems of Georgia, which is charged with overseeing funding, curriculum, etc, for all Universities in the State. Each University under that is governed by its own separate board.

In Alabama there is no umbrella oversight for higher education. Which is why you have 3 junior colleges withing 45 miles of Brewton, AL. And, for example, a Troy State-Montgomery, and an Auburn University-Montgomery, along incidentally with an Alabama State. All public Universities with almost identical curriculum (at least on these Campus').

Because of this inefficient structure, all Universities fight in the legislature for dollars. From this comes the power of Boards of Trustees, at UA, AU, etc. They report to no real state authority. I don't know about the other Universities Boards, but both the Auburn and Alabama system Boards are self perpetuating.

What is today known as USA, UAB, and UAH were all originally extension class locations for UA. This encouraged Auburn to stake a claim to Montgomery through AUM.

In 1936 the Extension Center in Birmingham was opened. In 1945 the Medical School was moved from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham. In 1966 the Extension Center and Medical School were merged to form UAB. This was done by the UA Board of Trustees. There is no separate charter for UAB. It is by legislative charter a part of the University of Alabama.

Because of the system in place, ie; there is no Statewide Higher Education authority to act as an "honest broker," I personally think the likelihood of any separation of UAB is minimal. I admire Jack Williams efforts, but there is a very small percentage of pro UAB grads and support in either house of the legislature compared to UA grads and AU grads. It is my understanding that the AU supporters are not in favor of changing the status quo either. This is through intel from a lobbyist which our firm employs.
02-05-2015 11:04 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

(02-05-2015 11:04 AM)PTBlazer Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 03:14 AM)rook360 Wrote:  This brings up a good point. I know its been debated on here plenty of times, but wouldn't we get the med school. The physical school is in Birmingham with UAB across everything. No matter how much they want to say it's the UA health system, its the UAB school of medicine.

The State of Alabama has a very different and ineffective governmental structure for higher education, which exacerbates the problem here. Georgia for example is governed by the University Systems of Georgia, which is charged with overseeing funding, curriculum, etc, for all Universities in the State. Each University under that is governed by its own separate board.

In Alabama there is no umbrella oversight for higher education. Which is why you have 3 junior colleges withing 45 miles of Brewton, AL. And, for example, a Troy State-Montgomery, and an Auburn University-Montgomery, along incidentally with an Alabama State. All public Universities with almost identical curriculum (at least on these Campus').

Because of this inefficient structure, all Universities fight in the legislature for dollars. From this comes the power of Boards of Trustees, at UA, AU, etc. They report to no real state authority. I don't know about the other Universities Boards, but both the Auburn and Alabama system Boards are self perpetuating.

What is today known as USA, UAB, and UAH were all originally extension class locations for UA. This encouraged Auburn to stake a claim to Montgomery through AUM.

In 1936 the Extension Center in Birmingham was opened. In 1945 the Medical School was moved from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham. In 1966 the Extension Center and Medical School were merged to form UAB. This was done by the UA Board of Trustees. There is no separate charter for UAB. It is by legislative charter a part of the University of Alabama.

Because of the system in place, ie; there is no Statewide Higher Education authority to act as an "honest broker," I personally think the likelihood of any separation of UAB is minimal. I admire Jack Williams efforts, but there is a very small percentage of pro UAB grads and support in either house of the legislature compared to UA grads and AU grads. It is my understanding that the AU supporters are not in favor of changing the status quo either. This is through intel from a lobbyist which our firm employs.

In 1966 the Extension Center and Medical School were merged to form UAB. This was done by the UA Board of Trustees. There is no separate charter for UAB. It is by legislative charter a part of the University of Alabama.

So whether or not the AU supporters agree or not, if a majority in both senate and house agree and send it to the public there IS A CHANCE that UAB could not only seperate and have its own board but take the medical school with it. The board may be strong but it still can not go against a state wide vote.

I'm all for longshots, luck, and blessings when it comes to things like this. We didn't have a chance of getting Gene Bartow either and USA didn't have a chance of breaking away from UA.
02-05-2015 11:12 AM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

I'm for you brother.
02-05-2015 11:16 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
University of Birmingham has a nice ring!

I love those home basketball jerseys.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 12:02 PM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
02-05-2015 12:02 PM
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(02-04-2015 11:13 PM)dblaze Wrote:  Thanks for sharing, BTR. I never knew that USA was part of the UA system.

Neither did I.
02-05-2015 12:10 PM
kdblazer Offline
All American

This is the age of information...even here in Alabama. Ignorance can only to be tolerated by those who are uninformed. Now days people are waking up....Yes even here. Again if the Birmingham business community as a whole step to the plate and say halt UAB should be governed by it's own structure....The legislature would be on it before the next sunrise. That's why the BBA backing of Watts was done to signal Montgomery that the power base was ok with the decision. I suspect that will be walked back slowly as well.

The metro is no longer divided by race...it is united by UAB and with unity there's no obstacle that can't be removed.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 12:21 PM by kdblazer.)
02-05-2015 12:18 PM
blzrclub80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(02-05-2015 12:18 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  This is the age of information...even here in Alabama. Ignorance can only to be tolerated by those who are uninformed. Now days people are waking up....Yes even here. Again if the Birmingham business community as a whole step to the plate and say halt UAB should be governed by it's own structure....The legislature would be on it before the next sunrise. That's why the BBA backing of Watts was done to signal Montgomery that the power base was ok with the decision. I suspect that will be walked back slowly as well.

The metro is no longer divided by race...it is united by UAB and with unity there's no obstacle that can't be removed.

I agree! The problem we have now is the entrenchment of UA Law School lawyers in Alabama politics state wide and the fact we are trying to do something with the legislation Rep. Jack is proposing that will potentially raise the ire of Auburn and even T-Roy as well. They like their "extension schools" too. I know I've got some T-Roy alum friends that are convinced they are the largest University in the state because they insist on counting all of their remote campuses on military bases all over the world as well as their in-state "extensions".
02-05-2015 12:50 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(02-05-2015 12:50 PM)blzrclub80 Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 12:18 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  This is the age of information...even here in Alabama. Ignorance can only to be tolerated by those who are uninformed. Now days people are waking up....Yes even here. Again if the Birmingham business community as a whole step to the plate and say halt UAB should be governed by it's own structure....The legislature would be on it before the next sunrise. That's why the BBA backing of Watts was done to signal Montgomery that the power base was ok with the decision. I suspect that will be walked back slowly as well.

I agree! The problem we have now is the entrenchment of UA Law School lawyers in Alabama politics state wide and the fact we are trying to do something with the legislation Rep. Jack is proposing that will potentially raise the ire of Auburn and even T-Roy as well. They like their "extension schools" too. I know I've got some T-Roy alum friends that are convinced they are the largest University in the state because they insist on counting all of their remote campuses on military bases all over the world as well as their in-state "extensions".

Ask them have they ever had an issue such as this with their school? The bammers like to bring up AUM and football, but my cousin went to AUM and I never heard a complaint about never having football from her or her friends at the time.
The extension campus thing is getting out and outdated. Alabama needs a new system like a board of regents such as Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida.
02-05-2015 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.