GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
OT: Biologists Ask Public to Report Blinged-out Owls
Biologists Ask Public to Report Blinged-out Burrowing Owls
Posted February 3, 2015 - 1:43pmUpdated February 4, 2015 - 7:53am
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada...owing-owls

[Image: web1_web_Banded-Burrowing-Owls-at-Burrow...k=i-sgUfnE]
Three burrowing owls sit outside their home after being fitted with leg bands in 2014. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is asking people in Las Vegas and Pahrump to report any sightings of banded burrowing owls to help with research into the movement of the birds. (Courtesy/U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)

By HENRY BREAN
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Have you seen a smallish owl with some blueish bling? The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service wants to know about it.

Biologists from the service placed metallic blue bands on the legs of 52 burrowing owls in Las Vegas and Pahrump in 2014. Now they’re asking the public to report any sightings of the banded birds around town or out in the desert.

Western burrowing owls are small, long-legged, ground-inhabiting birds with large yellow eyes. They are often seen during the daytime resting outside of their burrows, usually in an open area with little vegetation.

In the fall and winter, the young owls tend to leave home and move to new areas. Some remain in southern Nevada year-round, while others migrate south or disperse into other areas where there may be more food — namely insects, small rodents and lizards — during winter.

By tracking the banded birds, researchers hope to learn more about where the juveniles go after leaving their parents’ burrows.

Each banded owl has a blue metallic band on its left leg and a silver band on its right leg. If you see one, the service asks you to try to read the two-digit number and letter on the blue band, record the bird’s GPS location or note the nearest cross streets and call it in to 702-515-5230.

You will probably need binoculars or a spotting scope to read the band. They tend to fly away if you get too close.

Dan Balduini, spokesman for the Fish & Wildlife Service in Las Vegas, said burrowing owls are not federally listed but are considered a species of concern due to habitat loss.

At Floyd Lamb Park in Las Vegas, the service and the Red Rock Audubon Society have created artificial burrows to replace natural ones lost through development of surrounding land. For the past seven years, volunteers have monitored these burrows during nesting to estimate the number of young in each.

The banding in 2014 was done by service biologists and the Audubon Society, with 48 juveniles and four adult owls captured at Floyd Lamb Park in Las Vegas and at several locations in Pahrump.

Banded birds of many species pass through southern Nevada during migration. Anyone who reads the band on a bird or finds a dead banded bird may report it online at http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/ or by calling 1-800-327-2263.
02-04-2015 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

RE: OT: Biologists Ask Public to Report Blinged-out Owls
I just thought the little guys in the picture were cute and had never heard of burrowing owls before, so I decided to share it with ya'll.
02-04-2015 02:56 PM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Is that Nike, NB or Adidas footwear they sport ?
02-04-2015 03:05 PM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(02-04-2015 02:56 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I just thought the little guys in the picture were cute and had never heard of burrowing owls before, so I decided to share it with ya'll.

Our conference mates over at FAU use the burrowing owl as their mascot. Even some things on campus use the name 'Burrow'.

http://www.fau.edu/business-services/din...-grill.php
02-04-2015 03:57 PM
greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
We have tons of burrowing owls out here in West Texas. They are a fixture on and around most of the golf courses.
(I don't recall ever seeing a great horned owl in the area.)
I'll have to get out the binoculars and see if any of the little critters have been banded!!
02-04-2015 04:44 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(02-04-2015 03:57 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 02:56 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I just thought the little guys in the picture were cute and had never heard of burrowing owls before, so I decided to share it with ya'll.

Our conference mates over at FAU use the burrowing owl as their mascot. Even some things on campus use the name 'Burrow'.

http://www.fau.edu/business-services/din...-grill.php

Well, thank you, loki! I still learn something new here sometimes!

,__,
(0,0)
/)_)
""
02-04-2015 06:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.