petrino recruiting article
02-03-2015 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
RE: petrino recruiting article
Seems fair, but if you are going to ban every program that does that you won't have any kids playing college ball.
02-05-2015 05:54 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(02-05-2015 05:54 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Seems fair, but if you are going to ban every program that does that you won't have any kids playing college ball.

Don't like what Petrino did but he wasn't the only one...Saban, WVU & Auburn did pretty much the same...it stinks but unfortunately it is the ugly side of Football Recruiting...
02-05-2015 10:04 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
I'm at a complete loss as to why this is a national story. Every major program has literally done this numerous times, sometimes numerous times in a year. It's a part of recruiting. Period. Do I like it? No, but that's the nature of the beast.
02-05-2015 10:28 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(02-05-2015 10:28 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  I'm at a complete loss as to why this is a national story. Every major program has literally done this numerous times, sometimes numerous times in a year. It's a part of recruiting. Period. Do I like it? No, but that's the nature of the beast.

I know right...Spurrier did the same to Lorenzo Mauldin a few years ago...luckily for us he landed at UofL and will be playing in the NFL next fall..
02-05-2015 10:44 PM
prp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tartans!
(02-05-2015 10:28 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  I'm at a complete loss as to why this is a national story. Every major program has literally done this numerous times, sometimes numerous times in a year. It's a part of recruiting. Period. Do I like it? No, but that's the nature of the beast.

It's a story because of Petrino's history. Petrino has a track record of questionable behavior, reneging on all sorts of commitments, and being a generally scummy person. Despite his proclamations that he's a changed man, a story like this is evidence to a lot of people that he's anything but.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 12:44 PM by prp.)
02-05-2015 11:09 PM
Advertisement

Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

EVERY EFFING MAJOR PROGRAM DOES IT. IT'S NOT A PETRINO THING. IT'S A FREAKIN' COLLEGE FOOTBALL THING. HOW FREAKIN' HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND!? This doesn't prove whether he is or isn't a changed man, it proves he's a college football coach.
02-05-2015 11:16 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-05-2015 11:16 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  EVERY EFFING MAJOR PROGRAM DOES IT. IT'S NOT A PETRINO THING. IT'S A FREAKIN' COLLEGE FOOTBALL THING. HOW FREAKIN' HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND!? This doesn't prove whether he is or isn't a changed man, it proves he's a college football coach.

Really? When did Clemson do it?

FSU?

Kentucky?

Should be easy enough to show where these schools deceived a recruit up until the last minute since "everybody" does it.

Thanks in advance!
02-05-2015 11:53 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(02-05-2015 11:53 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 11:16 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  EVERY EFFING MAJOR PROGRAM DOES IT. IT'S NOT A PETRINO THING. IT'S A FREAKIN' COLLEGE FOOTBALL THING. HOW FREAKIN' HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND!? This doesn't prove whether he is or isn't a changed man, it proves he's a college football coach.

FSU?

Kentucky?

Should be easy enough to show where these schools deceived a recruit up until the last minute since "everybody" does it.

Thanks in advance!

Well don't know about Kentucky/Clemson but WVU, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi State etc...etc...it was if I am not mistaken the SEC put in a limit on signees earlier this Century...his point was Louisville wasn't the only P5 Program that did this yesterday and some that did it didn't even offer the opportunity to Greyshirt.
02-06-2015 12:01 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-06-2015 12:01 AM)Maize Wrote:  

FSU?

Kentucky?

Thanks in advance!

Well don't know about Kentucky/Clemson but WVU, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi State etc...etc...it was if I am not mistaken the SEC put in a limit on signees earlier this Century...his point was Louisville wasn't the only P5 Program that did this yesterday and some that did it didn't even offer the opportunity to Greyshirt.

So that's "everybody"?

K then.
02-06-2015 12:13 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins

NOT EVERY PROGRAM HIRED A PERSON WITH PETRINO'S TRACK RECORD! HE GETS MORE SCRUTINY
02-06-2015 05:10 AM
Advertisement

rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
Like the above posters said, this happens at a number of other schools. Move on
02-06-2015 05:43 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(02-06-2015 05:43 AM)rednblackattack Wrote:  Like the above posters said, this happens at a number of other schools. Move on

Yup...a number of schools did this yesterday and will continue to do so...don't like it but it is what it is....07-coffee3
02-06-2015 07:54 AM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

(02-06-2015 12:13 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 12:01 AM)Maize Wrote:  

FSU?

Kentucky?

Thanks in advance!

So that's "everybody"?

K then.

I didn't say "Every School" but a number of schools including Saban and Alabama...but if you want to continue to whine about go right ahead...Colburn is going to get a Free Education and I wish the young man nothing but the best....
02-06-2015 07:56 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Just Petrino being Petrino. and yes there are a few other Petrino's out there.
02-06-2015 07:59 AM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-s...44921.html

I'll await the outrage over Auburn spurning the young man ON NATIONAL SIGNING DAY NO LESS...
02-06-2015 08:20 AM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
For a little contrast here's an article on his younger brother's recruiting M.O. at Idaho

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...cholarship
02-06-2015 08:49 AM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I don't think anyone here LIKES it. I don't think anyone here thinks it's right or is defending it...but this notion that somehow Louisville is the only school to have ever done this that's going around for God only knows why is blatantly false. That's the long and the short of the story.
02-06-2015 09:57 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Even though it wouldn't be good for the recruit... most likely, but I do wonder what a lawsuit might do, say if the kid doesn't get another scholarship offer. Although, he probably won't play a down in his life, but at least hold the school to pay for his education the he and his family thought they had covered.
02-06-2015 10:09 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC

FSU?

Kentucky?

Thanks in advance!

Kentucky with Pay Cal ran most of Billy G's recruits off when He brought in His former Memphis recruiting class as well as telling some already there They weren't going to play.....Ever.
02-06-2015 10:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.