Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Seattle Muslims Demand Teacher Resign For Showing Mohammed Cartoons To Students…
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
Seattle Muslims Demand Teacher Resign For Showing Mohammed Cartoons To Students…
[Image: wkal1.jpg]

You’re in America, they’re friggen cartoons, get over it.

Quote: Controversy over cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed hit home in Seattle recently, culminating in a protest outside of southend refugee service provider on Friday.

A group of Somali Americans gathered outside the Refugee Women’s Alliance (ReWA) on Martin Luther King, Jr. Way to demand the resignation of a teacher who showed the cartoons to her teenage students on the day after the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris.

“We’re not gonna be silent when it’s something that’s not right,” said Hassan Aden, who was one of between 15 to 20 people who attended the protest. “We’re trying to show that we’re not happy with what she did.”

The teacher, Deepa Bhandaru, recently earned her Ph.D from the UW Political Science department, and works for ReWA teaching a free class on world affairs for youth, where she showed the cartoons during a lesson on free speech and religious pluralism.

http://www.seattleglobalist.com/2015/02/...oons/33120
02-03-2015 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Seattle Muslims Demand Teacher Resign For Showing Mohammed Cartoons To Students…
That towel on her head offends me. Take it off.
02-03-2015 01:12 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: Seattle Muslims Demand Teacher Resign For Showing Mohammed Cartoons To Students…
Why would the teacher show anything that might be offensive? Poor judgement at least.
02-03-2015 01:17 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(02-03-2015 01:10 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  [Image: wkal1.jpg]

You’re in America, they’re friggen cartoons, get over it.

Quote: Controversy over cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed hit home in Seattle recently, culminating in a protest outside of southend refugee service provider on Friday.

A group of Somali Americans gathered outside the Refugee Women’s Alliance (ReWA) on Martin Luther King, Jr. Way to demand the resignation of a teacher who showed the cartoons to her teenage students on the day after the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris.

“We’re not gonna be silent when it’s something that’s not right,” said Hassan Aden, who was one of between 15 to 20 people who attended the protest. “We’re trying to show that we’re not happy with what she did.”

The teacher, Deepa Bhandaru, recently earned her Ph.D from the UW Political Science department, and works for ReWA teaching a free class on world affairs for youth, where she showed the cartoons during a lesson on free speech and religious pluralism.

http://www.seattleglobalist.com/2015/02/...oons/33120

And take the dirty table cloth off your face at the same time. Aren't there laws against concealing your identity or wearing masks during protests or something like that?
02-03-2015 01:18 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(02-03-2015 01:17 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Why would the teacher show anything that might be offensive? Poor judgement at least.

Didn't we say the same thing about schools allowing kids to wear towels to school and how it might offend others? Or how about celebrating Cinco de Mayo in school and American kids not being allowed to wear American flags - do you think that might offend someone? How about the college professors who harshly criticize conservatives? Do you think that might offend someone? who got fired then?

Fit, you say squat when conservatives are criticized in schools but all of a sudden you're concerned about this?

And as a teacher, I can't believe you don't want kids to learn something about an issue that was a huge international news issue.
02-03-2015 01:32 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(02-03-2015 01:17 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Why would the teacher show anything that might be offensive? Poor judgement at least.

You can post cartoons on Jesus and that does not offend me.
02-03-2015 01:44 PM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC

Because 99% of Americans are not offended by a cartoon and These protesters are probably 99% Non American . So Heck with them !
02-03-2015 01:47 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(02-03-2015 01:32 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

Didn't we say the same thing about schools allowing kids to wear towels to school and how it might offend others? Or how about celebrating Cinco de Mayo in school and American kids not being allowed to wear American flags - do you think that might offend someone? How about the college professors who harshly criticize conservatives? Do you think that might offend someone? who got fired then?

Fit, you say squat when conservatives are criticized in schools but all of a sudden you're concerned about this?

And as a teacher, I can't believe you don't want kids to learn something about an issue that was a huge international news issue.

Be more specific. Where did I not say anything when conservatives were offended.

I have been consistant on this issue.

Teachers and students cannot do anything that is offensive to other students because it distracts them from the learning environment.
02-03-2015 02:07 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
01-wingedeagle

(02-03-2015 01:10 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  
Quote:...a teacher who showed the cartoons to her teenage students on the day after the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris.
The teacher, ... works for ReWA teaching a free class on world affairs for youth, where she showed the cartoons during a lesson on free speech and religious pluralism.

Obviously, the correct decision when teaching free speech and religious pluralism is to self-censor while being intimidated by a single religion.
02-03-2015 02:29 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The answer to speech is more speech.

That's the guiding principle of the whole thing.
02-03-2015 02:34 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(02-03-2015 02:29 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
01-wingedeagle

Quote:...a teacher who showed the cartoons to her teenage students on the day after the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris.
The teacher, ... works for ReWA teaching a free class on world affairs for youth, where she showed the cartoons during a lesson on free speech and religious pluralism.

Obviously, the correct decision when teaching free speech and religious pluralism is to self-censor while being intimidated by a single religion.

The teacher could have shown better judgment.

In fact, when teaching freedom of speech, one should always teach students that freedom of speech does not mean that you can say ANYTHING without consequence.

Something this teacher obviously never learned.
02-03-2015 02:37 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Separation of school and state.
02-03-2015 02:38 PM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
(02-03-2015 02:37 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
01-wingedeagle

In fact, when teaching freedom of speech, one should always teach students that freedom of speech does not mean that you can say ANYTHING without consequence.

(02-03-2015 02:09 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Why do you hate the 1st amendment?
02-03-2015 02:41 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
Freedom of speech, not freedom to offend?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

That f*cking rag head can get smurfed in the face by my pork stick while I smear bacon grease all over her.
02-03-2015 03:24 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(02-03-2015 02:37 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
01-wingedeagle

They've got their culture, we've got ours. They're in America, they can adhere to our culture, STFU, or GTFO.
02-03-2015 03:26 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(02-03-2015 03:26 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  They've got their culture, we've got ours. They're in America, they can adhere to our culture, STFU, or GTFO.

Yep, someone needs to educate that young woman that freedom of speech is exactly the freedom to offend.
02-03-2015 03:46 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

These Muslimes need to take a look at the thread where the Palestinian students offended the Jewish kids. F**k these foriegners who come here and want us to change our ways for them.
02-03-2015 03:56 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Arrest her for wearing a mask in public. That "used" to be a law.

Enforce all current laws across the board and we will not have a fraction of the crap that we currently see on a daily basis in this country.
02-03-2015 03:59 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Anyone want to bet that within a week that teacher's head and body are in two different places?
02-03-2015 04:59 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(02-03-2015 04:59 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Anyone want to bet that within a week that teacher's head and body are in two different places?

And on top of that, no pun intended, I'll also bet that UofMemphis says he don't need to worry about them because it didn't happen in his state.

When it happens in another country, it's their problem, if it happens in another state, he'll say it's that states problem.
02-03-2015 05:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.