Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU beats Indiana article 1/5/72
Bookmark and Share
kschwi Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Huskies
NIU beats Indiana article 1/5/72
I've been reading the Tribune archives and came across this story.

<iframe src="http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1972/01/05/page/57/article/niu-rips-indiana" width="300" height="600" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

This must have been one heck of a game to see.
02-03-2015 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: NIU beats Indiana article 1/5/72
Several years ago when NIU had those "garage sales" during the Spring Football Game, my brother bought a framed photo from this game. I'll post it sometime it's pretty cool.
02-03-2015 01:45 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Very cool. Thanks for posting.
02-03-2015 02:06 PM
kflyer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
(02-03-2015 12:08 PM)kschwi Wrote:  I've been reading the Tribune archives and came across this story.

<iframe src="http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1972/01/05/page/57/article/niu-rips-indiana" width="300" height="600" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Thanks for posting this and lots of other interesting news from back then, in the sports section as well as the rest of the news... I remember us all laughing when my finance major roommate predicted the DOW would hit 1000! Page 7 has another article about "N.I.U." reinstating the national anthem before home games... very interesting times...
02-03-2015 02:12 PM
kschwi Offline
Water Engineer

(02-03-2015 01:45 PM)NIURedBlack Wrote:  Several years ago when NIU had those "garage sales" during the Spring Football Game, my brother bought a framed photo from this game. I'll post it sometime it's pretty cool.

That would be very cool since in all probability there isn't any surviving video or audio of this game. Which raises a question: Does anyone know if NIU has saved or archived any of their old audio or video for football or basketball from the 70s or 80s?
02-03-2015 02:16 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2015 02:16 PM)kschwi Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 01:45 PM)NIURedBlack Wrote:  Several years ago when NIU had those "garage sales" during the Spring Football Game, my brother bought a framed photo from this game. I'll post it sometime it's pretty cool.

That would be very cool since in all probability there isn't any surviving video or audio of this game. Which raises a question: Does anyone know if NIU has saved or archived any of their old audio or video for football or basketball from the 70s or 80s?

This past summer media services did a huge digital backup of some archives which were getting moldy in some cardboard boxes in the field house...at least I think that is what they were doing with that stuff.
02-03-2015 02:26 PM
Advertisement

NIU17 Offline
All American

(02-03-2015 12:08 PM)kschwi Wrote:  I've been reading the Tribune archives and came across this story.

Our offense was #2 in the nation and averaging over 100 pts a game. 04-jawdrop How did we get a Jim Bradley to come to NIU? I know college bball has changed, but he was a beast. One of the best in college basketball.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 03:12 PM by NIU17.)
02-03-2015 03:11 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I found the dow jones under a 1000, under 10 million stocks traded interesting. Combined with an ad for 5% on your money on a bank savings account and people still can't figure out where the $ goes, who controls this country and why.
02-03-2015 03:29 PM
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I was at that game as a young kid. Instead of programs, they would give out a sheet of paper with each team's roster. I got Fritz Peterson's autograph on that roster sheet before the game. I wish I still had that.
02-03-2015 03:38 PM
kschwi Offline
Water Engineer

(02-03-2015 03:11 PM)NIU17 Wrote:  

Our offense was #2 in the nation and averaging over 100 pts a game. 04-jawdrop How did we get a Jim Bradley to come to NIU? I know college bball has changed, but he was a beast. One of the best in college basketball.

Good question. I was wondering that myself when I read the season preview in the Trib archives for 1971.
02-03-2015 05:01 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(02-03-2015 03:11 PM)NIU17 Wrote:  Our offense was #2 in the nation and averaging over 100 pts a game. 04-jawdrop How did we get a Jim Bradley to come to NIU? I know college bball has changed, but he was a beast. One of the best in college basketball.

Some other schools started a whispering campaign that Jorgy (HC Tom Jorgensen) had used illegal recruiting inducements to get Bradley to come to NIU. Nothing was ever proven.

Regarding the playing of the national anthem, the late 1970s and early 1980s were an ugly time at NIU as far as race relations. A lot of the ugliness had to do with the playing of the national anthem. VERY tense times at basketball games.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 06:24 PM by huskiebob.)
02-03-2015 06:19 PM
Advertisement

bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

It was indeed a heck of a game to see. It was my freshman year at NIU. The game was sold out and the Field House was rocking. All of the home games were sold out that year and you had to line up in the early morning of game day if you hoped to get a ticket.
02-03-2015 10:11 PM
Michael James Offline
1st String

I Root For: Northern
(02-03-2015 10:11 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  

It was indeed a heck of a game to see. It was my freshman year at NIU. The game was sold out and the Field House was rocking. All of the home games were sold out that year and you had to line up in the early morning of game day if you hoped to get a ticket.

And what about now?
02-03-2015 10:54 PM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
I don't think race relations in late '70's early ’80's was related to the national anthem. The black players boycotted an away game against CMU because they thought one player wasn't starting because he was black. Not all black players agreed with the boycott but were pressured to participate. The player who complained was the kid from St. Joes who played with Isaiah Thomas.....name was Ray ???
02-03-2015 11:37 PM
niu79 Offline
All American

(02-03-2015 11:37 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  I don't think race relations in late '70's early ’80's was related to the national anthem. The black players boycotted an away game against CMU because they thought one player wasn't starting because he was black. Not all black players agreed with the boycott but were pressured to participate. The player who complained was the kid from St. Joes who played with Isaiah Thomas.....name was Ray ???

You are referring to Ray Clark. I believe that boycott occurred in the 1980-81 season. Supposedly there was an administrator behind the scenes that wanted the coach fired, and this was his brainchild. His attempt failed, but a year later after NIU made its first appearance in the NCAA, the three best returning African Americans on the team transferred out - Jon Collins to Eastern Illinois, Leonard Hayes to St. Peter's in New Jersey, and Keith Gray to junior college.
02-04-2015 12:15 AM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
$8 for a tire! Hot damn!

Holy crap, NIU had 4 guys shoot over 50% in 1971. And it was the four guys with the most shots on the team. LORD.

[Image: northern-illinois_1972_00000019019.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 03:04 AM by The Frisky Biscuit.)
02-04-2015 03:00 AM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(02-04-2015 12:15 AM)niu79 Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 11:37 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  I don't think race relations in late '70's early ’80's was related to the national anthem. The black players boycotted an away game against CMU because they thought one player wasn't starting because he was black. Not all black players agreed with the boycott but were pressured to participate. The player who complained was the kid from St. Joes who played with Isaiah Thomas.....name was Ray ???

You are referring to Ray Clark. I believe that boycott occurred in the 1980-81 season. Supposedly there was an administrator behind the scenes that wanted the coach fired, and this was his brainchild. His attempt failed, but a year later after NIU made its first appearance in the NCAA, the three best returning African Americans on the team transferred out - Jon Collins to Eastern Illinois, Leonard Hayes to St. Peter's in New Jersey, and Keith Gray to junior college.

The administrator behind the boycott and the attempt to get John McDougall fired was Deacon Davis. Davis was also the founder of the CHANCE program at NIU and a colleague of Eddie Williams. Despite the boycott and missing several of its best players, NIU won on the road at CMU. Davis then prevailed on the administration to allow the boycotting players to return to the team.

The situation with national anthem was that the African American spectators in the stands at Evans refused to stand for the playing of the anthem.
02-04-2015 07:11 AM
beachboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: huskies
(02-04-2015 07:11 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  

The administrator behind the boycott and the attempt to get John McDougall fired was Deacon Davis. Davis was also the founder of the CHANCE program at NIU and a colleague of Eddie Williams. Despite the boycott and missing several of its best players, NIU won on the road at CMU. Davis then prevailed on the administration to allow the boycotting players to return to the team.

The situation with national anthem was that the African American spectators in the stands at Evans refused to stand for the playing of the anthem.

That incident occurred the same day the athletic board cut baseball and track, and I believe Deacon Davis was demoted. Not only did people in that section not stand for the anthem, but they booed Allen Rayhorn, who was being honored on Senior Night (he was the only senior scholarship player) then several sat on the court before the second half began. Pretty insane day. Postscript? NIU ended up winning the game and (improbably) the MAC Tournament to qualify for the the school's first NCAA Tournament. Back then there were 48 teams.
02-04-2015 09:29 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(02-04-2015 09:29 AM)beachboy Wrote:  

That incident occurred the same day the athletic board cut baseball and track, and I believe Deacon Davis was demoted. Not only did people in that section not stand for the anthem, but they booed Allen Rayhorn, who was being honored on Senior Night (he was the only senior scholarship player) then several sat on the court before the second half began. Pretty insane day. Postscript? NIU ended up winning the game and (improbably) the MAC Tournament to qualify for the the school's first NCAA Tournament. Back then there were 48 teams.

Good recap, although it was next year (1981-82) that the Huskies made it to the Dance.
02-04-2015 09:42 AM
beachboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: huskies
(02-04-2015 09:42 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 09:29 AM)beachboy Wrote:  

Good recap, although it was next year (1981-82) that the Huskies made it to the Dance.

The walkout took place in 1980-81, when the Huskies lost to Ball State in the MAC Tournament final. The sports cuts, Davis demotion and game disruption were in 1981-82, when NIU defeated Ball State to win the MAC tournament. Later that night a few of us nearly got into a fight with some sore loser Ball State fans at an Ann Arbor tavern. The good old days ...
02-04-2015 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.