Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA's Advertising Slogan - is it really appropriate?
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
CUSA's Advertising Slogan - is it really appropriate?
Or, rather, is it wise?

Who's Next?

In context, they are talking about student athletes that went on to do great things as professionals.

In the context of conference realignment, with Rice second only to SMiss in CUSA tenure (and tied with UTEP and Marshall), it seems kind of ridiculous.

Has anyone else gotten a chuckle out of the slogan.
02-03-2015 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MrMxyzptlk Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: CUSA's Advertising Slogan - is it really appropriate?
Reminds me of a certain 1970's album:

02-03-2015 11:01 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
Unfortunately, that album doesn't contain "Who Are You," with its semi-appropriate epithet "Who the f*** are you?" for all of the changeover. But it does contain "Going Mobile" or maybe "Won't Get Fooled Again." Hopefully "Song is Over" isn't going to be representative of Rice's swan song.
02-03-2015 11:40 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(02-03-2015 11:40 AM)gsloth Wrote:  Unfortunately, that album doesn't contain "Who Are You," with its semi-appropriate epithet "Who the f*** are you?" for all of the changeover. But it does contain "Going Mobile" or maybe "Won't Get Fooled Again." Hopefully "Song is Over" isn't going to be representative of Rice's swan song.

A running gag I've had with my kids is that when a Beatles song was playing, I'd ask them who's this group, and they'd always answer "The Beatles". We fooled more than a few guests in our car with that. But, "Who are you" was playing a few weeks ago and i told my son he had one guess who the band was. It failed because he thought they were singing "ooo-eee-youuuu" over and over.
02-03-2015 01:26 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(02-03-2015 09:15 AM)I45owl Wrote:  Or, rather, is it wise?

Who's Next?

03-lmfao

Never noticed that before, but it is funny.

On a side note, I do wonder how they come up with these. Is anyone on this board in advertising? Would C-USA have a focus group for something like this? Even big companies swing and miss big, and have wondered how that happens - for example, did anyone really think the anti craft beer advertisement by Budweiser was a good idea?
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 01:44 PM by Antarius.)
02-03-2015 01:42 PM
Sheffield Owl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
(02-03-2015 01:42 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 09:15 AM)I45owl Wrote:  Or, rather, is it wise?

Who's Next?

03-lmfao

Never noticed that before, but it is funny.

On a side note, I do wonder how they come up with these. Is anyone on this board in advertising? Would C-USA have a focus group for something like this? Even big companies swing and miss big, and have wondered how that happens - for example, did anyone really think the anti craft beer advertisement by Budweiser was a good idea?

Yeah, that Bud commercial hasn't gone down well here in northern Colorado.
02-03-2015 01:49 PM
NYNightOwl Online
NYOwl

I find focus groups to be one of more mis-used research techniques (although in this example CUSA sure could have used a few assuming they were populated with CUSA-aware folks). Basically, IMO most marketers use focus groups as a poor surrogate for quantitative. Or simply to confirm something they want to believe. Focus groups are basically 10 people in a room, usually dominated by 1-3 of the "A" personalities in the room - despite however good the moderator is.

I find that focus groups are actually useful in a couple of ways. Two of the most common... 1) helping to suss out precise and descriptive language that you can then use in quantitative. This way you don't end up asking questions thinking one thing and people answer thinking something else. e.g. what does "competitive" or "fresh" or "exciting" actually mean to you? 2) to get disaster check "real world" feedback. e.g. So... conference USA fans, what do you all think of this "who's next" campaign? Oh... really? Yeah.. we who drink (and produce) the Kool-Aid didn't think of the other implications....
02-03-2015 06:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.