Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trying to keep up with Power 5,UConn offers increased scholarship[BUT LESS THAN P5]
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Trying to keep up with Power 5,UConn offers increased scholarship[BUT LESS THAN P5]
Can't blame UConn for trying. However, the divide is still there. UConn will only give extra money for athletes on a full scholarship. Contrast this with, eg, the Big Ten's Minnesota. All scholarship athletes in its 23 sports will be included.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-husk...story.html

Full-cost-of-attendance scholarships were approved in one of the first votes by the major conferences. The new Division I governing model allows schools in smaller conferences, such as UConn in the American Athletic Conference, to opt into changes adopted by the Power Five, but does not require them to do so...

"When Division I decided to grant autonomy to the Power Five conferences, it really changed the power structure, so now the Power Five conferences are really in the driver's seat," said University of Hartford President Walter Harrison, the former chairman of the Division I Committee on Academic Performance.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_2678...all-sports

"We plan to include every sport," deputy director of athletics Beth Goetz said Thursday...
.If approved, Goetz said she expects the rules to be in place for the 2015-16 school year and apply to all 23 sports offered by Minnesota's athletics department."
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 09:18 PM by BE4evah.)
01-30-2015 08:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Trying to keep up with Power Five schools, UConn will offer full-cost-of-attendance
(01-30-2015 08:01 PM)BE4evah Wrote:  Can't blame UConn for trying.

Full-cost-of-attendance scholarships were approved in one of the first votes by the major conferences. The new Division I governing model allows schools in smaller conferences, such as UConn in the American Athletic Conference, to opt into changes adopted by the Power Five, but does not require them to do so...

"When Division I decided to grant autonomy to the Power Five conferences, it really changed the power structure, so now the Power Five conferences are really in the driver's seat," said University of Hartford President Walter Harrison, the former chairman of the Division I Committee on Academic Performance.

UConn is not alone. Most G5 schools will do the same.
01-30-2015 08:35 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
RE: Trying to keep up with Power 5,UConn offers increased scholarship[BUT LESS THAN P5]
You are really stretching it to try and turn this negative you pathetic troll.
01-31-2015 11:05 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Trying to keep up with Power 5,UConn offers increased scholarship[BUT LESS THAN P5]
That is both a logistic and financial issue, does some one on 1/2 schollie get 1/2 stippend?? Full?? none??
01-31-2015 11:12 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-31-2015 11:05 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  You are really stretching it to try and turn this negative you pathetic troll.

How is it "negative" to point out that many G5 schools will not be "matching" the same COA money that P5 schools will be doling out? It's a highly relevant thing to do.

Especially if that G5 is UConn, which is right near the very top of the G5 in terms of athletic budget and infusions of state money. If UConn can't match what the B1G is doing re COA, chances are the bulk of G5 won't be able to either.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 11:13 AM by quo vadis.)
01-31-2015 11:13 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(01-31-2015 11:05 AM)Hank Schrader Wrote:  You are really stretching it to try and turn this negative you pathetic troll.
It's not a positive, dude. UConn is planning to attempt to keep up with the P5 conference schools with a reduced bankroll and a greatly increased cost of living. New England is an expensive place to live, and the disparity in funding for athletes will have an effect on recruiting as talented players follow the money trail.
01-31-2015 11:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(01-30-2015 08:01 PM)BE4evah Wrote:  Can't blame UConn for trying. However, the divide is still there. UConn will only give extra money for athletes on a full scholarship. Contrast this with, eg, the Big Ten's Minnesota. All scholarship athletes in its 23 sports will be included.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_2678...all-sports

"We plan to include every sport," deputy director of athletics Beth Goetz said Thursday...
.If approved, Goetz said she expects the rules to be in place for the 2015-16 school year and apply to all 23 sports offered by Minnesota's athletics department."

How does the quote you provided for Minnesota show that every scholarship athlete is going to have FCOA covered in their scholarship next year?

In my opinion, covering the FCOA items in a scholarship only makes sense if all other items in the student bill are already being covered in the scholarship (tuition, fees, books and room/board, if on campus).

Think about it: if the athlete has a total bill from the school of $20k and his scholarship only covers tuition at $10k, but next year he'll get tuition and FCOA covered in his scholarship for a total of $13k ... that $13k is just going to get swallowed up by the $20k bill.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 11:43 AM by MplsBison.)
01-31-2015 11:39 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Any G5 schools that want to be a player will pay the stipend.
01-31-2015 11:48 AM
harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: B1G, Bradley
All g5 schools should be able to follow P5 rules if they so chose, I know UConn is t in a P5 conference but they sure as he!! are a P5 caliber school
01-31-2015 11:53 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

(01-31-2015 11:48 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Any G5 schools that want to be a player will pay the stipend.

There are no stipends in college football. That's the same thing as a salary and is against NCAA rules.

College football does have scholarships, though.
01-31-2015 11:56 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
All the information being given is still too sketchy.You can have a clearer look at this in about eight months.
01-31-2015 11:56 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(01-31-2015 11:53 AM)harley93davidson Wrote:  All g5 schools should be able to follow P5 rules if they so chose, I know UConn is t in a P5 conference but they sure as he!! are a P5 caliber school

The rule was only voted on by the P5, but it will be allowed (though not required) for G5, FCS and non-football DI schools, in all DI sports.

I'm assuming non-DI schools that have DI sports (for example, Johns Hopkins lacrosse) will also be allowed to expand scholarships for athletes in those sports to include FCOA items.
01-31-2015 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.