Mick McCabe Detroit FP Michigan Top 50 recruits
01-29-2015 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Mick McCabe Detroit FP Michigan Top 50 recruits
I like Mick McCabe... but that list is so bad. Too many CMU kids near the top, and some big names outside the top 30.
01-29-2015 10:16 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
RE: Mick McCabe Detroit FP Michigan Top 50 recruits
(01-29-2015 10:16 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  I like Mick McCabe... but that list is so bad. Too many CMU kids near the top, and some big names outside the top 30.

Jon Wassink QB ranked #33- A state title machine. At times single handedly put his team on his arm and his legs and ran the table to Ford Field.

Jake Johnson QB ranked #30- Has spent the majority of the last two years pacing the sidelines counting the fingers on the team doctors hand.

No offense to Johnson, but he's done nothing but sit do to repeated concussion issues.

Mick mails it in every year. Talks to a few east side coaches and they tell him who they've seen (east siders), who they know, and here's what Mick does.

He overvalues every Michigan recruit. Undervalues every MSU recruit. Highly undervalues Jerry Kills choices.......even though Kill smoked Hoke and his recruits in their last meeting.

As for MAC recruits he literally draws names out of a hat. Seriously, I think Jake Johnson played three games this year and was pulled from most of them.
01-30-2015 12:08 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

http://www.freep.com/article/20140130/HS...-prospects

Here's Micks top 50 from last year.

Alex Brione QB Ishpheming #17 03-lmfao03-lmfao

Chance Stewart QB #24

I'm telling you, he puts up the scUM recruits, undervalues the MSU recruits, throws the rest of the names in a can and pulls them out one by one.

He's got some RB who went to EMU ranked way high 03-lmfao

McCabe- Okay, I think this Ian Erikson, RB Clarkston, he's a top recruit.

Staff writer- Mick, he's undersized, had no offers, and he's going to EMU, are you sure on this?

McCabe- Don't question me damn it, I live in Clarkston, I've seen him. I've eaten hotdogs at their concession. Don't question me kid, I've been doing this back when Drew Henson was the greatest prospect I've ever seen.

Staff writer- Henson was a bust sir.

McCabe-Are you questioning me!!! Now I like this Van Dort kid, his mom's twitter feed is awesome. Rank him #12.

Staff writer- Yeah Mick, but what about this Okafor kid at Southfield, he has 33 offers, including Florida and Arkansas.

McCabe- Don't question me punk, VanDort will be a star at WMU. When that kid gets to Fall Camp that MJ Flack character will be drooling. I'm never wrong on this stuff kid..never wrong.

Staff writer- You know sir, there are recruiting services who have seen all of these kids at camps and on film and they really have made a science out of evaluating talent.

McCabe- Now listen to me punk. I'm Mick McCabe, I'm a legend. All I need to do is call up Al Fracassa at Brother Rice and he tells me all I need to know every player playing high school football.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 12:38 AM by Chipdip2.)
01-30-2015 12:32 AM
Advertisement

WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
Personally, my feeling on all of the recruiting rankings is this.

Other than the rare exception, nobody really knows what any of these kids are going to do once they get to the next level. How do they adapt to the speed of the game? How do they stack up against better talent? How does the coaching staff develop them? How does the scheme fit their skill set?

Do I think that players going to "bigger" school get a bump in their rating? Absolutely. I always find it interesting when a kid gets an offer from a Michigan or Notre Dame that they suddenly become a 4 star. Or a kid like Chance Stewart is a 4 star when he has committed to Wisconsin but drops to 3 star when he decommits and goes to WMU. I've said it plenty of times on here, I actually don't think we will EVER see Stewart take a snap as QB at WMU. He's not going to beat out Terrell who is now a 2 year starter heading into his junior year and was very good last season. And if Wassink is as good as advertised and as CD pointed out, he's going to be ahead of him in a few years as well. Again, all a crap shoot as far as the situation a kid comes into and how he develops.

As far as the comments about McCabe being an idiot simply because he has a number of CMU recruits listed fairly highly on this list. That's his opinion. The opinion of a WMU fan is going to be scewed to think that those kids aren't very good and our kids are all better. Again, it will ALL come down to how they fit into the program and how the new coaching staff develops and utilizes them in the future. But to simply imply that McCabe doesn't know what he's talking about because there are more CMU guys on this list than WMU guys is silly. Maybe there are more CMU guys because the overall talent in the state of Michigan isn't really all that great, so many of the other schools are going outside the state to get their better players. And the guys that are in state are lower level D1 guys that fit perfectly into where CMU fits into that mix.

Again, they are all just names and numbers until they actually get on campus, into practice and onto the field. Until then, no one really knows. Heck, Brady Hoke allegedly brought in great players and classes every year and not a damn one of them developed while he was there.
01-30-2015 10:38 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

Yeah, but you have a built in bias
01-30-2015 11:00 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(01-30-2015 10:38 AM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  Personally, my feeling on all of the recruiting rankings is this.

Other than the rare exception, nobody really knows what any of these kids are going to do once they get to the next level. How do they adapt to the speed of the game? How do they stack up against better talent? How does the coaching staff develop them? How does the scheme fit their skill set?

Do I think that players going to "bigger" school get a bump in their rating? Absolutely. I always find it interesting when a kid gets an offer from a Michigan or Notre Dame that they suddenly become a 4 star. Or a kid like Chance Stewart is a 4 star when he has committed to Wisconsin but drops to 3 star when he decommits and goes to WMU. I've said it plenty of times on here, I actually don't think we will EVER see Stewart take a snap as QB at WMU. He's not going to beat out Terrell who is now a 2 year starter heading into his junior year and was very good last season. And if Wassink is as good as advertised and as CD pointed out, he's going to be ahead of him in a few years as well. Again, all a crap shoot as far as the situation a kid comes into and how he develops.

As far as the comments about McCabe being an idiot simply because he has a number of CMU recruits listed fairly highly on this list. That's his opinion. The opinion of a WMU fan is going to be scewed to think that those kids aren't very good and our kids are all better. Again, it will ALL come down to how they fit into the program and how the new coaching staff develops and utilizes them in the future. But to simply imply that McCabe doesn't know what he's talking about because there are more CMU guys on this list than WMU guys is silly. Maybe there are more CMU guys because the overall talent in the state of Michigan isn't really all that great, so many of the other schools are going outside the state to get their better players. And the guys that are in state are lower level D1 guys that fit perfectly into where CMU fits into that mix.

Again, they are all just names and numbers until they actually get on campus, into practice and onto the field. Until then, no one really knows. Heck, Brady Hoke allegedly brought in great players and classes every year and not a damn one of them developed while he was there.

You're forgetting that CMU football coaches get a bonus if so much of their football roster are from Michigan high schools, I think its 60%. Given that emphasis its not unusual to have CMU every year have a majority of the players on McCabe's list.
01-30-2015 12:58 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2015 11:00 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Yeah, but you have a built in bias

Hmmmm......crickets.
01-30-2015 12:58 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2015 10:38 AM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  As far as the comments about McCabe being an idiot simply because he has a number of CMU recruits listed fairly highly on this list. That's his opinion. The opinion of a WMU fan is going to be scewed to think that those kids aren't very good and our kids are all better. Again, it will ALL come down to how they fit into the program and how the new coaching staff develops and utilizes them in the future. But to simply imply that McCabe doesn't know what he's talking about because there are more CMU guys on this list than WMU guys is silly. Maybe there are more CMU guys because the overall talent in the state of Michigan isn't really all that great, so many of the other schools are going outside the state to get their better players. And the guys that are in state are lower level D1 guys that fit perfectly into where CMU fits into that mix.

15. Mike Danna - only offer is CMU
16. Deshawn Baker-Williams - only offer is CMU
20. Romello Ross - only offer is CMU

38. Tyree Jackson - several MAC offers
39. Carter Masek - several MAC offers
42. Daniel Crawford - 19th rated prospect in MI, several MAC offers
43. Wesley French - More than a dozen offers, including P5 programs
01-30-2015 01:06 PM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
(01-30-2015 01:06 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 10:38 AM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  As far as the comments about McCabe being an idiot simply because he has a number of CMU recruits listed fairly highly on this list. That's his opinion. The opinion of a WMU fan is going to be scewed to think that those kids aren't very good and our kids are all better. Again, it will ALL come down to how they fit into the program and how the new coaching staff develops and utilizes them in the future. But to simply imply that McCabe doesn't know what he's talking about because there are more CMU guys on this list than WMU guys is silly. Maybe there are more CMU guys because the overall talent in the state of Michigan isn't really all that great, so many of the other schools are going outside the state to get their better players. And the guys that are in state are lower level D1 guys that fit perfectly into where CMU fits into that mix.

15. Mike Danna - only offer is CMU
16. Deshawn Baker-Williams - only offer is CMU
20. Romello Ross - only offer is CMU

38. Tyree Jackson - several MAC offers
39. Carter Masek - several MAC offers
42. Daniel Crawford - 19th rated prospect in MI, several MAC offers
43. Wesley French - More than a dozen offers, including P5 programs

Well said Hoekjeness. I'm an offer list kind of guy. I'm not so big on these type of rankings, Top 50, Top 100, etc.
01-30-2015 01:09 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I've attended press conferences with McCabe. He mails it in. Same in this case.

He knows a few senior coaches in metro Detroit and they give him feedback to build this list. There was a time when that made him the guru of MI recruiting. That day is long gone. Mick spends 2% of his time researching this. There are entities that take this very serious and do a lot of research in evaluating. Those are much more viable sources and even they are often off the mark.
01-30-2015 02:11 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

(01-30-2015 12:58 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 10:38 AM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  Personally, my feeling on all of the recruiting rankings is this.

You're forgetting that CMU football coaches get a bonus if so much of their football roster are from Michigan high schools, I think its 60%. Given that emphasis its not unusual to have CMU every year have a majority of the players on McCabe's list.

That actually kinda was part of my point. Maybe the fact that the state of Michigan doesn't produce as much cream of the crop talent is one of the reasons that the "better" players in the state end up at CMU. Kinda goes back to the old argument as to why Cubit didn't have many "local" kids. I think he felt that the talent pool was better coming from Florida or elsewhere.

I didn't realize that they got a bonus for having kids from Michigan schools. If that's the case, its actually kinda stupid. Go get the best kids you are able to get. If that's the best you can get, then so be it.

There was plenty of question regarding the 6 hour recruiting radius that PJ was going to implement when he got to WMU. Seems that he has figured out how to get the best kids he can inside of that window. But that window also doesn't just mean Michigan.
01-30-2015 02:52 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

(01-30-2015 02:11 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  I've attended press conferences with McCabe. He mails it in. Same in this case.

He knows a few senior coaches in metro Detroit and they give him feedback to build this list. There was a time when that made him the guru of MI recruiting. That day is long gone. Mick spends 2% of his time researching this. There are entities that take this very serious and do a lot of research in evaluating. Those are much more viable sources and even they are often off the mark.

I would agree that if you are only doing your homework on the metro Detroit kids you are missing plenty of good players. Heck over the last decade the Grand Rapids and West Michigan area has at times dominated the state and put several players into big time programs. If he isn't giving them the same credence simply because he isn't talking to coaches on this side of the state, then I would agree with you.

My point is, until they get on the practice field and eventually game field, its all speculation anyways.
01-30-2015 02:55 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2015 02:11 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  I've attended press conferences with McCabe. He mails it in. Same in this case.

It doesn't take more than about 10-15 minutes of research to put a list like this together, seriously. Just lazy.
01-30-2015 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.