Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice Stadium needs to be RAZED like Foreman Field at ODU
Ralphus Offline
Banned

I Root For: ODU
Rice Stadium needs to be RAZED like Foreman Field at ODU
Fellow CUSAers,

I'm astonished that Rice has chosen to build an EZ facility is such an OLD venue. To UH's credit, they tore down Robertson and built a sleek modern on campus facility, that really showcases their program. You better believe that helped them land in the Big East and procure Tom Herman as well.

ODU is doing the same thing. We are NOT EXPANDING Foreman, and we WILL be building NEW. That's what we need to compete with the other fbs level programs. To do anything else would be tantamount to resigning ourselves to bottomfeeders.

And, IMO, the Rice admin has resigned the University to being in the pecking order BEHIND the U of H by pouring more money into Rice Stadium instead of leaping in front of U of H and SMU with a contemporary stadium (i.e. Modern gameday experience). Even TULANE got a brand spankin new stadium and moved up.

Rice will stay a fixture in CUSA as long as the U of H stays in the AAC because of this gross disparity in facilities. Any other thinking is Pie In The Sky, my friends.

UNT even has a new stadium. And, for that reason, I am down with the Screaming Eagles or whatever they are. Lol

Just watch when we get ours at ODU. I know the ODU AD is competing for any future AAC spot if one opens up, and this jewel of a building will make ODU a front runner.

I don't think anyones thinkin Big 12. On the whole Monarch fans see expansion in a realistic sense.

Me, personally, I am very happy with CUSA. And if you're happy with having an old Robertson-like gameday vibe, then I'm happy you're happy. We will be happy together for a long time.

I'm just sayin, that there are reasons we're CUSA 4Life! "BUY THE SHIRT!!"
01-29-2015 03:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Rice Stadium needs to be RAZED like Foreman Field at ODU
While we're at it...why do the Cubs keep playing at Wrigley Field when the White Sox have a new park? Let's raze Wrigley and Fenway while we're at it.

To me, the bottom line is that Jeppesen Stadium was a bad stadium that needed to be replaced. Rice Stadium is a great place to see a football game that needs to be renovated.
01-29-2015 09:22 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
Ralphus, Leave our board. Rice Stadium is a historic stadium that is structurally sound. The sightlines are second-to-none and all Houstonians love it.
01-29-2015 10:22 AM
TheDirtyV Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: RICE
(01-29-2015 03:38 AM)Ralphus Wrote:  Fellow CUSAers,

I'm astonished that Rice has chosen to build an EZ facility is such an OLD venue. To UH's credit, they tore down Robertson and built a sleek modern on campus facility, that really showcases their program. You better believe that helped them land in the Big East and procure Tom Herman as well.

And, IMO, the Rice admin has resigned the University to being in the pecking order BEHIND the U of H by pouring more money into Rice Stadium instead of leaping in front of U of H and SMU with a contemporary stadium (i.e. Modern gameday experience). Even TULANE got a brand spankin new stadium and moved up.

Rice will stay a fixture in CUSA as long as the U of H stays in the AAC because of this gross disparity in facilities. Any other thinking is Pie In The Sky, my friends.

(Emphasis mine)

Firstly, Robertson was a terrible place to watch a football game. The new touchdown ECU stadium is only slightly better, and has become a boondoggle with student fees/usage/budget/etc.

The second paragraph above is utter nonsense. I really don't know where to start...

As for the "gross disparity in facilites," you must not have spent very much time in Reckling, Tudor, etc. Yes, HRS is old, but it is still a fantastic place to watch a football game.
01-29-2015 10:37 AM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Ralphus' 26-0 record (soon to be 27-0) -- not one positive review -- is impressive. But he should be met with silence, fellow Owls.
01-29-2015 10:40 AM
davidw Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
Ralphus - in theory you are correct; old stadiums need to be razed and new ones built to usher in the new era. We have a different situation tho. While old, the design of Rice stadium is superb, with great sight lines in most all seats, and a sunken field so that most seats are right on top of the action. Cougar field was an old municipal stadium, which I actually liked, but which looked every bit as such.
More to the point, since we are a small private university with a correspondingly small alumni base, raising money is no easy task. To wit, it's taken us years to come up with $30 mil for the improvement plan. Nothings easy.
01-29-2015 10:42 AM
Advertisement

NoodleOwl Offline
All Noodle

I Root For: the Owls! HOOT!

Folding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-29-2015 10:42 AM)davidw Wrote:  Ralphus - in theory you are correct; old stadiums need to be razed and new ones built to usher in the new era. We have a different situation tho. While old, the design of Rice stadium is superb, with great sight lines in most all seats, and a sunken field so that most seats are right on top of the action. Cougar field was an old municipal stadium, which I actually liked, but which looked every bit as such.
More to the point, since we are a small private university with a correspondingly small alumni base, raising money is no easy task. To wit, it's taken us years to come up with $30 mil for the improvement plan. Nothings easy.

He's not even correct in theory.

Rice Stadium is not one of the 50 oldest stadia currently in use by a D1 FBS team. 13 SEC schools have older stadia (UK's is the newbie at only 42 years old). Should Alabama or LSU be looking at razing their old grounds too? They have plenty of resources.

Renovation - yes, frequently, please. Replacement - no reason in this lifetime.

(Hell, for that matter, piddly 20,000 seat Foreman Field at ODU was built in 1936 per Wikipedia.)
01-29-2015 11:12 AM
Dirty Sanchez Offline
2nd String

I Root For: free beer.
(01-29-2015 10:37 AM)TheDirtyV Wrote:  Firstly, Robertson was a terrible place to watch a football game.

While the stadium was old and outdated (in terms of concessions and restrooms) why was actually watching football bad there to you? There wasn't a seat in the stadium that didn't offer really good sight lines. Well maybe other then the very 1st row or 2.
01-29-2015 02:14 PM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Maybe it's just my personal opinion but the addition of the boxes on the west side blocked the view of a majority of the field from seats in the boxes, the press box and outside the boxes.
01-29-2015 02:29 PM
NolaOwl Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: RU, StL & NOL

New Orleans Bowl
(01-29-2015 10:40 AM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Ralphus' 26-0 record (soon to be 27-0) -- not one positive review -- is impressive. But he should be met with silence, fellow Owls.

+1. Don't feed the troll.
01-29-2015 04:22 PM
Burpelson Offline
2nd String

I Root For: coogs
I believe they can give ya great “sightlines” with a new stadium, the hallowed stadium is a dump, pure and simple, and it’s time to move on, the whole EZF is a tired idea, and Rice should rebuild!
01-30-2015 06:20 AM
Advertisement

ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
TCU and Amon G. Carter stadium should be the model for renovations.
01-30-2015 06:28 AM
SidRich Offline
Water Engineer

TCU's renovation is the model and the master plan for redevelopment of the stadium will set out a fantastic plan to modernize the facility. The EZF is just the first part. A much-needed part, but the entire stadium will be renovated.
01-30-2015 03:47 PM
Middle Ages Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
Why are we feeding the troll? Ignore it and it will hopefully go away
01-30-2015 03:53 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(01-30-2015 03:53 PM)Middle Ages Wrote:  Why are we feeding the troll? Ignore it and it will hopefully go away

Ralphus or Burpelson? 05-stirthepot
01-30-2015 04:05 PM
davidw Offline
Special Teams

a new stadium would cost what - $150 mil ? don't think we could ever come up with that much.
01-30-2015 08:40 PM
Advertisement

baker-'13 Offline
2nd String

(01-30-2015 04:05 PM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 03:53 PM)Middle Ages Wrote:  Why are we feeding the troll? Ignore it and it will hopefully go away

Ralphus or Burpelson? 05-stirthepot

...is "yes" allowed?
01-30-2015 09:46 PM
Murray007 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Please ignore Ralphus. He/she is probably another college's fan (JMU or VCU if I had to guess) trolling as an ODU fan. To my knowledge, Ralphus has already been kicked off the ODU board, the UAB board, the CUSA board, and the general Conference Realignment board. I would suggest that the Rice mods do the same here.

Good luck in the future! I'll be in the stands when ODU plays Rice at the Bud - I'm sure it'll be a great series.
01-31-2015 02:20 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(06-10-2015 02:21 PM)BoKnows Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 06:28 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  TCU and Amon G. Carter stadium should be the model for renovations.

I agree with this.
As much as I hate to admit it, the G5 has become a facilities arms race to appeal for P5 membership. The old Amon Carter would have never sufficed in the B12, and although UAB is just focusing on CUSA, Legion Field just isn't a long-term viable option for fbs.
That said, I wonder how much aging facilities will be used against both Rice and UAB in recruiting. UH has a brand new stadium. I'm sure it's hard for a new EZF to compete with that.
IMO, if you must keep the old, then an overhaul like TCU's is what you really need, even to compete with UNT, UTSA, and UTEPs stadia (who I'd rank 1,2, and 3, among the CUSA Texas schools).
Go away, Bo!
06-10-2015 02:22 PM
BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
(06-10-2015 02:22 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 02:21 PM)BoKnows Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 06:28 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  TCU and Amon G. Carter stadium should be the model for renovations.

I agree with this.
As much as I hate to admit it, the G5 has become a facilities arms race to appeal for P5 membership. The old Amon Carter would have never sufficed in the B12, and although UAB is just focusing on CUSA, Legion Field just isn't a long-term viable option for fbs.
That said, I wonder how much aging facilities will be used against both Rice and UAB in recruiting. UH has a brand new stadium. I'm sure it's hard for a new EZF to compete with that.
IMO, if you must keep the old, then an overhaul like TCU's is what you really need, even to compete with UNT, UTSA, and UTEPs stadia (who I'd rank 1,2, and 3, among the CUSA Texas schools).
Go away, Bo!

My bad. It's just that the other schools have bowl-worthy venues. I didn't mean anything. I'm hopeful that the EZF really impresses..
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 02:39 PM by BoKnows.)
06-10-2015 02:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.