http://www.highgroundnews.com/features/U...C+and+more
01-28-2015 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
RE: A guide to developments happening at & around the U of M
new operator of newbys is a former employee.
01-28-2015 03:54 PM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

I Root For: Memphis
Thanks for posting that. Sounds promising!
01-28-2015 04:05 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I've been on campus several times lately since my kids are now enrolled there and I have been impressed with the work that is going on. Especially on the west side.
01-28-2015 04:11 PM
kapsig tgr Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Most encouraging bit is the 14000 applications and 5300 enrollees. That's huge
01-29-2015 09:35 PM
Advertisement

OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators
There are just a lot of very good things happening.
01-29-2015 10:03 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Wow. More than one somebody gets it.
01-29-2015 10:57 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

Wish I could press the "make me a college age kid again" button and spend time again as a young student at the University of Memphis. I had a great experience at Memphis State from '79 - '83, but man, there are so many great things that have happened on campus in the last few years! I am so impressed with the direction of the University and am proud of all the new planning and construction.

I AM one of those who believes that an on campus stadium would do wonders in bringing alums back to see the wonderful things happening on campus and increasing alumni giving for all the departments and programs at the university.

It just keeps getting better and better!
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 06:11 AM by danny1.)
01-30-2015 06:10 AM
ZachMan Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tigers
(01-30-2015 06:10 AM)danny1 Wrote:  Wish I could press the "make me a college age kid again" button and spend time again as a young student at the University of Memphis. I had a great experience at Memphis State from '79 - '83, but man, there are so many great things that have happened on campus in the last few years! I am so impressed with the direction of the University and am proud of all the new planning and construction.

I AM one of those who believes that an on campus stadium would do wonders in bringing alums back to see the wonderful things happening on campus and increasing alumni giving for all the departments and programs at the university.

Agree, it is a shame most alums do not have a reason to go back on the campus and appreciate all that has been done over there. Never impressed with Dr. Raines aroudn thletics but she did a great job improving the campus and Dr. Rudd is continuing that, really going ot be a nice campus when they get it all done.
01-30-2015 08:56 AM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
the idea floated by brad martin about the university taking over audubon park sure got quiet fast.

there really needs to be some physical connection between main and south campus - especially with the new academic buildings being built on south campus.
01-30-2015 09:37 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(01-30-2015 06:10 AM)danny1 Wrote:  I AM one of those who believes that an on campus stadium would do wonders in bringing alums back to see the wonderful things happening on campus and increasing alumni giving for all the departments and programs at the university.

Unfortunately, it is obvious that the university has no intention of ever building an on-campus stadium. If they did, space would be set aside on the master plan.
01-30-2015 09:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2015 09:40 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 06:10 AM)danny1 Wrote:  I AM one of those who believes that an on campus stadium would do wonders in bringing alums back to see the wonderful things happening on campus and increasing alumni giving for all the departments and programs at the university.

Unfortunately, it is obvious that the university has no intention of ever building an on-campus stadium. If they did, space would be set aside on the master plan.

Very short-sighted & city politics driven. Unfortunately (at least for unbiased university development), the big university financial contributors are also invested in the city & deal with city politics on a day-to-day basis. Therefore their university support is always tempered by how the city politicians accept or influence it - and as a result the city has always used the university for its immediate needs, to the university's detriment. And it continues....
01-30-2015 09:50 AM
tigergreen Offline

(01-30-2015 08:56 AM)ZachMan Wrote:  Never impressed with Dr. Raines aroudn athletics but she did a great job improving the campus and Dr. Rudd is continuing that, really going to be a nice campus when they get it all done.

Totally agree. Dr. Raines did a lot for academics & general overall aesthetics on campus, but just didn't get (more likely didn't care) that you can improve both athletics AND academics at the same time.
01-30-2015 10:07 AM
Advertisement

Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2015 08:56 AM)ZachMan Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 06:10 AM)danny1 Wrote:  Wish I could press the "make me a college age kid again" button and spend time again as a young student at the University of Memphis. I had a great experience at Memphis State from '79 - '83, but man, there are so many great things that have happened on campus in the last few years! I am so impressed with the direction of the University and am proud of all the new planning and construction.

Agree, it is a shame most alums do not have a reason to go back on the campus and appreciate all that has been done over there. Never impressed with Dr. Raines aroudn thletics but she did a great job improving the campus and Dr. Rudd is continuing that, really going ot be a nice campus when they get it all done.

Tons of reasons to go back. People choose what they choose.
02-01-2015 06:43 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-01-2015 06:43 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  

And many alumni (especially out of the city alumni) would choose to go back if our university played football on campus......
02-01-2015 09:54 AM
FUB Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
(02-01-2015 09:54 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  

And many alumni (especially out of the city alumni) would choose to go back if our university played football on campus......

Plain and simple if it matters you get your a$$ to the bowl. If it does not you don't.
02-01-2015 09:59 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(01-28-2015 03:54 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  new operator of newbys is a former employee.

Which one?
02-01-2015 10:44 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-01-2015 09:59 AM)FUB Wrote:  
(02-01-2015 09:54 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  

Plain and simple if it matters you get your a$$ to the bowl. If it does not you don't.

To the bowl?
02-01-2015 11:45 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2015 08:56 AM)ZachMan Wrote:  .... it is a shame most alums do not have a reason to go back on the campus and appreciate all that has been done over there......
...Tons of reasons to go back. People choose what they choose.

That is true. I wanted an OCS bad enough to donate to the Heery Study (and do not regret it), but there ARE other reasons to get back onto campus for those who really want to: Lady Tiger basketball, volleyball, lectures, concerts, plays, shopping at the bookstore, just walking around, etc.. Hindus make a good point in saying that true happiness lies not in having what you want, but in wanting what you have. Good old American ambition is fine but using what you don't have as an excuse is for losers.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 12:02 PM by Gray Avenger.)
02-01-2015 12:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

There is a great campus neighborhood plan that is coming together. They did a study and everything. They picked out some schools to pattern their plan. We are going to have an urban university neighborhood. The study is old enough now I can't even find it anymore. But it remains the pattern that is being followed.

There is only one little problem with their plan. Every school they used as a model has an on-campus stadium. Every single one has an on-campus stadium. Why does this matter? It matters because the stadium is a major economic engine for the area businesses. Without the extra game day revenue, businesses in a university neighborhood are severely hamstrung. The problem is Christmas and summer sales. There are none in a university neighborhood where everyone leaves. Those sales are replaced by game day sales. Without a stadium or an arena the economics of a university neighborhood are unable to compete with other area businesses.

We have a lot of developers pumping a lot of money into something that is likely to fail. A large part of that blame lies with the university area planners. They are simply wishing they could replicate the success of other schools' neighborhoods without honestly evaluating how the economy of those schools work. The only hope these investors have is that they pull enough non-university Memphians into the area so they can survive. It could happen, but it never worked before.

We don't have the development that surrounds most large universities because we don't have the other things most large universities have. We have no arena and no stadium. Trying to develop around nothing more than a bunch of students is a low-dollar situation. If you aren't drawing other people into campus, then it won't work. Our university can't help itself. I find it highly unlikely it will help other developers.
02-01-2015 02:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.