Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFP will discuss if Navy should be eligible for future NY6 bowls
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
CFP will discuss if Navy should be eligible for future NY6 bowls
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
.@CFBPlayoff committee will discuss if Navy should be eligible for future NY6 bowls

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-committee

The College Football Playoff's management committee will discuss Navy's eligibility for this season's New Year's Six bowls because of the academy's new conference affiliation and the timing of its annual game against Army.

Navy will join the American Athletic Conference in the fall.

The commissioners' concern is if the Midshipmen are ranked high enough to earn one of the New Year's Six bowl bids - and then lose the following week to Army. That loss would not count toward Navy's final ranking, penalizing other teams that would have earned a New Year's Six bowl bid if the loss was factored in.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said this isn't a Navy-Army issue, but believe any schools playing after the final rankings are released should be ineligible for a spot in the College Football Playoff or a New Year's Six bowl.

"All games should be done by Selection Sunday for those teams to be considered for a College Football Playoff bowl," Thompson said.

The College Football Playoff management committee (the 10 FBS conference commissioners plus Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick) will discuss the Navy-Army situation at its next meeting in April, several commissioners said.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 01:30 PM by Bearcat2012.)
01-28-2015 01:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: CFP will discuss if Navy should be eligible for future NY6 bowls
(01-28-2015 01:24 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
.@CFBPlayoff committee will discuss if Navy should be eligible for future NY6 bowls

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-committee

The College Football Playoff's management committee will discuss Navy's eligibility for this season's New Year's Six bowls because of the academy's new conference affiliation and the timing of its annual game against Army.

Navy will join the American Athletic Conference in the fall.

The commissioners' concern is if the Midshipmen are ranked high enough to earn one of the New Year's Six bowl bids - and then lose the following week to Army. That loss would not count toward Navy's final ranking, penalizing other teams that would have earned a New Year's Six bowl bid if the loss was factored in.

Hmm, never thought about that.
01-28-2015 01:27 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Kevin McGuire ‏@KevinOnCFB
The @CFBPlayoff wants to be a stickler for tradition but would possibly punish Navy for playing the most traditional game in the sport. OK.

----

My thoughts exactly.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 01:33 PM by Bearcat2012.)
01-28-2015 01:33 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(01-28-2015 01:33 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  Kevin McGuire ‏@KevinOnCFB
The @CFBPlayoff wants to be a stickler for tradition but would possibly punish Navy for playing the most traditional game in the sport. OK.

----

My thoughts exactly.

^ this.
01-28-2015 01:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(01-28-2015 01:33 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  Kevin McGuire ‏@KevinOnCFB

----

My thoughts exactly.

x100000. What a load of crap.
01-28-2015 01:45 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
In the last 50 years, Army and Navy have been ranked in the final polls three times. Army finished #24 (1996), Navy finished #17 (1978) and #24 (2004).

This problem about them making the CFP is really not a problem.
01-28-2015 01:45 PM
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
...Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said this isn't a Navy-Army issue, but believe any schools playing after the final rankings are released should be ineligible for a spot in the College Football Playoff or a New Year's Six bowl.

"All games should be done by Selection Sunday for those teams to be considered for a College Football Playoff bowl," Thompson said.

G5 wars? How about waiting on the G5 selection until AFTER the game. I mean this is Army and Navy. They're giving that respect to Notre Dame - right?
01-28-2015 01:46 PM
zfred12 Offline
1st String

I'm pretty sure this is not even going to be an issue next year.
01-28-2015 01:48 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-28-2015 01:46 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  ...Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said this isn't a Navy-Army issue, but believe any schools playing after the final rankings are released should be ineligible for a spot in the College Football Playoff or a New Year's Six bowl.

G5 wars? How about waiting on the G5 selection until AFTER the game. I mean this is Army and Navy. They're giving that respect to Notre Dame - right?

They've been playing for 125 years. "The next game in 2015 is scheduled for Philadelphia on December 12."
01-28-2015 01:59 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(01-28-2015 01:48 PM)zfred12 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure this is not even going to be an issue next year.

That's not the point at all
01-28-2015 02:03 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-28-2015 01:59 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 01:46 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  ...Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said this isn't a Navy-Army issue, but believe any schools playing after the final rankings are released should be ineligible for a spot in the College Football Playoff or a New Year's Six bowl.

They've been playing for 125 years. "The next game in 2015 is scheduled for Philadelphia on December 12."

BTW -- Yes this IS an Army Navy issue. This IS a special case. Move the fracking G5 rankings.
01-28-2015 02:05 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

(01-28-2015 01:24 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said this isn't a Navy-Army issue, but believe any schools playing after the final rankings are released should be ineligible for a spot in the College Football Playoff or a New Year's Six bowl.

"All games should be done by Selection Sunday for those teams to be considered for a College Football Playoff bowl,"
Thompson said.

He is right...because if Navy can play a regular season game on the 2nd Weekend of December and not have a loss hurt their playoff access status...then others might do the same (i.e. play a non-conf game on that same 2nd weekend too, maybe a tough one at that), so a loss wouldn't hurt them either.

Similar to how FAMU and Bethune Cookman wanted to play in late Nov...which made both ineligible for Div I-AA playoffs...but that was their decision.

If Navy wants to play the week after Selection Sunday (to get all the publicity of being the only Div I-A game on that day)...then they should be ineligible for any access bowl slot.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 02:10 PM by KnightLight.)
01-28-2015 02:08 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
MWC hates Navy.
01-28-2015 02:09 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Here is a crazy idea, how about allowing it to be the fist game of the season. Play the Saturday before Labor day weekend to open the season. Not that I agree with reasoning for the CFP but it does seem crazy to have the possibility of Navy play a CCG and still have a game left in the season. In addition, while other ACC will have played 12 games, Navy will have only played 11 games. It may not sound big, but Navy is getting one additional bye week that other AAC teams do not get. It would be a pretty cool way to kickoff the season.
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-28-2015 02:03 PM)gotigers1 Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 01:48 PM)zfred12 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure this is not even going to be an issue next year.

That's not the point at all

You're right. These are the men and women we expect to go fight and die in our wars. If Navy's record merits the Access Bowl (no matter the conference) those players should be there --- I mean if they do this it's pathetic. The other stuff I understand but this -- sorry.
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Quote:Aresco, whose conference will hold a league title game for the first time this year, said he already has discussed the Navy situation with Hancock and several commissioners.

"We're perfectly aware of the issues, and it behooves us to solve it," Aresco said. "It's not a game anyone wants to move."

Aresco said he has some "creative solutions" that would allow the Navy-Army game to be factored into the final rankings, but said it was premature to share them publicly.

I hope his "creative solutions" are better than the ones he talked about for a bowl game for the conference champion, or the TV deal. It's probably more likely that he doesn't really have any.
01-28-2015 02:40 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(01-28-2015 02:08 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 01:24 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said this isn't a Navy-Army issue, but believe any schools playing after the final rankings are released should be ineligible for a spot in the College Football Playoff or a New Year's Six bowl.

"All games should be done by Selection Sunday for those teams to be considered for a College Football Playoff bowl,"
Thompson said.

He is right...because if Navy can play a regular season game on the 2nd Weekend of December and not have a loss hurt their playoff access status...then others might do the same (i.e. play a non-conf game on that same 2nd weekend too, maybe a tough one at that), so a loss wouldn't hurt them either.

Similar to how FAMU and Bethune Cookman wanted to play in late Nov...which made both ineligible for Div I-AA playoffs...but that was their decision.

If Navy wants to play the week after Selection Sunday (to get all the publicity of being the only Div I-A game on that day)...then they should be ineligible for any access bowl slot.

IOW, that IS their bowl? I can see the logic in that. Still...
01-28-2015 02:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
This is about the G5 spot as the champ of the American (which will be decided prior to Selection Sunday).

If Navy wins the American in the title game, they will be ineligible for the spot because of their game against Army a week later.

So the American will have to appoint the loser of its championship game as its champion to get the G5 access spot if its Navy that wins it.

Or the CFP will consider Army/Navy exempt because of their tradition on the field.....I don't see why they can't just do that.
01-28-2015 03:00 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Really? Pray tell---who else plays after Selection Sunday? I doubt it ever matters, but if it did, is anyone really concerned that a top 25 Navy team might lose to Army?
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 03:11 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-28-2015 03:10 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Hope the CFP and others pick on Navy for a fight. They are they only school with enough congressional support to fight back and win. Hubris and over reaching are the downfall of every bloated, arrogant monopoly.
01-28-2015 03:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.