Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB vs. UTEP - CUSA's unsung rivalry
Bookmark and Share
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
UAB vs. UTEP - CUSA's unsung rivalry
Check out the scores of the last six games in this series. The teams have split 3-3. Three of the games went to OT. The other three were decided by one possession. A total of 6 overtime games have been played. But because of geographic distance, you hardly ever hear of this series being a rivalry. They play again on CBS Sports Network on Thursday night.

1/30/2010 65-74 2ot Bartow Arena, Birmingham, AL - UTEP wins
3/6/2010 50-52 Don Haskins Center, El Paso, TX - UTEP wins
1/8/2011 100-97 3ot Bartow Arena, Birmingham, AL - UAB wins
2/4/2012 61-60 Don Haskins Center, El Paso, TX - UAB wins
1/30/2013 78-72ot Bartow Arena, Birmingham, AL - UAB wins
1/18/2014 61-63 Bartow Arena, Birmingham, AL - UTEP wins
01-28-2015 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB vs. UTEP - CUSA's unsung rivalry
I spoke with Randy Culpepper after the '11 game. Told him, "Please take this as the compliment it's intended, but I hope I never see you again."

He dropped 35+ points on us, including a couple of 3 point bombs at the end of regulation and at one of the OTs, IIRC.

Sweet Georgia Brown, what a game.
01-28-2015 09:16 AM
dude_miner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTEP
I remember games where (was his name Aaron 'Speedy' Johnson?) would frustrate the bejeezus out of us with his speed (of course) and ability to see the open floor and always find the right Blazer for the open jumper or easy layup. That dude was as good a PG as I have ever seen at the college level, with the exception of our Tim Hardaway. Oh...and Robert Vaden burrying 3 after 3 after 3 on our asses...and our defenders were up in his mug!

UAB has had some very talented teams with solid coaching. Our rivalry has been exciting and close, and we're going to miss that should UAB not be allowed to continue as a member of C-USA.
01-28-2015 09:47 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Aaron Johnson broke his nose in the 2 overtime game in 2010. With him out, the Miners were able to pull ahead in the 2nd OT.
01-28-2015 10:05 AM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
Aaron "SQUEAKY" Johnson was incredibly fun to watch. We played one of the most entertaining basketball in the NCAA during his tenure.

UAB fans really got into the UTEP player's craw. Emotionally it felt like a rivalry.
01-28-2015 11:25 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-28-2015 11:25 AM)GreenMississippi Wrote:  Aaron "SQUEAKY" Johnson was incredibly fun to watch. We played one of the most entertaining basketball in the NCAA during his tenure.

UAB fans really got into the UTEP player's craw. Emotionally it felt like a rivalry.

Squeaky Johnson and Aaron Johnson were two different point guards.

Carldell "Squeaky" Johnson played under Mike Anderson.
AJ played under Mike Davis.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 11:29 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
01-28-2015 11:28 AM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Squeaky'd steal if from you so smooth you'd be dribbling air thinking you still had it.

AJ'd steal it from you and come down the floor with the bloody stump of your arm still around it.
01-28-2015 11:57 AM
shyminer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP MINERS
Who can forget this:

01-28-2015 02:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I expect a down to the wire finish. UTEP will have the advantage so we would be fortunate to escape.
01-28-2015 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(01-28-2015 10:05 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Aaron Johnson broke his nose in the 2 overtime game in 2010. With him out, the Miners were able to pull ahead in the 2nd OT.

I'm not sure which Miner it was... Character maybe??? On that play, he ran into our Center, flopped, and hit Aaron Johnson in the nose on the way down. Not only did we lose AJ on that play but it was Kenneth Cooper's 5th foul.

On that one play we went from #25 to NIT team.
01-28-2015 06:44 PM
GO_MONARKS Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Two great traditions!!!
01-28-2015 07:35 PM
Advertisement

roundsound Offline
Special Teams

(01-28-2015 06:44 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 10:05 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Aaron Johnson broke his nose in the 2 overtime game in 2010. With him out, the Miners were able to pull ahead in the 2nd OT.

I'm not sure which Miner it was... Character maybe??? On that play, he ran into our Center, flopped, and hit Aaron Johnson in the nose on the way down. Not only did we lose AJ on that play but it was Kenneth Cooper's 5th foul.

Now, now. You guys won your share of barn burners. That triple OT game, I think Barbee was still coach, where you guys toughed it out at the end and won at your house. I lost my voice screaming at the radio on that one. An epic game.

And wasn't it you guys we were playing when Floyd and Asst coach Johnson got ejected at the beginning of the second half (also your house). They brought in a fat cop to confront Floyd and that really pissed him off. You guys must have won that game because there was no way the stripes were gonna let us walk away with a W.

I have great respect for your program and I certainly consider you to one of our greatest rivals04-cheers.
01-28-2015 08:02 PM
roundsound Offline
Special Teams

NM
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2015 12:48 PM by roundsound.)
01-28-2015 08:03 PM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-28-2015 08:02 PM)roundsound Wrote:  And wasn't it you guys we were playing when Floyd and Asst coach Johnson got ejected at the beginning of the second half (also your house). They brought in a fat cop to confront Floyd and that really pissed him off. You guys must have won that game because there was no way the stripes were gonna let us walk away with a W.

East Carolina. And what happened there was worse than Hitler according to some on this board.
01-28-2015 08:06 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(01-28-2015 08:02 PM)roundsound Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 06:44 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  

Now, now. You guys won your share of barn burners. That triple OT game, I think Barbee was still coach, where you guys toughed it out at the end and won at your house. I lost my voice screaming at the radio on that one. An epic game.

And wasn't it you guys we were playing when Floyd and Asst coach Johnson got ejected at the beginning of the second half (also your house). They brought in a fat cop to confront Floyd and that really pissed him off. You guys must have won that game because there was no way the stripes were gonna let us walk away with a W.

I have great respect for your program and I certainly consider you to one of our greatest rivals04-cheers.

Don't get me wrong. UTEP is probably my second favorite program in C-USA at least in basketball. I will always remember that feeling of disgust when I saw AJ's nose and Cooper's 5th foul. I was a student and sitting 2nd row in the student section that day. I knew we were toast. The fact that it even went to OT was amazing.

This is the Video of the end of the 3rd OT game in 2011.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U32-20doUhA
01-28-2015 08:50 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Love the intensity.
01-29-2015 09:25 AM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Oh, if we only had Culpepper back. Tsk. Unfortunately, we have Cooper.
01-29-2015 01:35 PM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
Hunter and Morris on the bench. Cooper and Willms to start.
01-29-2015 09:04 PM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
0-2 from the line already.
01-29-2015 09:14 PM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
0-2 from the line, 2 turnovers, and a timeout because we picked up the dribble and no one cared to cut to the ball.
01-29-2015 09:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.