Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Realignment Idea/wish
Bookmark and Share
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bobcats
Realignment Idea/wish
Everyone talking about CUSA moves. What about this senario? What if The Sun Belt became the aggressor and went after two CUSA teams? What if we dropped Idaho and created a balanced 12 team conference by pulling two Texas teams. Try this for size.
Sun Belt East
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Troy
South Alabama
Arkansas State

Sun Belt West
Louisiana
Monroe
Texas State
UT San Antonio
UT El Paso
New Mexico State
UTArlington

Long shot I know but hay it's off season and I'm bored.
Ofcourse this would require the Presidents and Karl to get their act together. What are the pros and cons of this arrangement. My thoughts are that this would pull to rivals into the conference. UTEP if I'm not mistaken has a long rivalry with NMST. UTSA is TXSTs long time rival. The money between the two conferences can't be that different. Also the fact UTSA has the Alamo Dome might make it easier to add another Bowl in the West.
01-27-2015 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Realignment Idea/wish
Why not invite Florida State and USC?

Nobody goes back unless you can make a real case for a lot more money, that the pecking order has changed, or some other real concrete benefit that means hard cash.
01-27-2015 10:09 AM
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

How much does CUSA pay out split 16 ways vs Sun Belt Split 12. Don't forget we have another bowl being added and I believe rotate the Bahamas Bowl starting soon. Also UTEP and UTSA are far from being top 25 teams.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 10:21 AM by TXSTCAT.)
01-27-2015 10:20 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
I think if this was 2-3 in the future you might have a chance. But this is all hypothetical and would make some sense. I think the SBC should be aggressive. The past is the past. Put forth what the realigned SBC would offer those schools. Rivalries, cost savings, similar money (wish SBC could redo it's TV deal), and personally better bowl locations. The 2 added TX teams would almost garuntee an added bowl game in TX (have it with a MWC). So the SBC would then have 5 bowl games for 12 teams. I also have a feeling that one more may be created for the SBC (hardest thing would be to find an opponent). It would make TxSt happy and NMST finally have a home.

Not impossible just highly unlikely. But thats what the leadership needs to start doing. GATA! King Karl and Presidents.
01-27-2015 10:21 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Anything like this would require Karl to miss at least 2-3 rounds of golf, ain't hapoening.
01-27-2015 10:23 AM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

(01-27-2015 10:20 AM)TXSTCAT Wrote:  How much does CUSA pay out split 16 ways vs Sun Belt Split 12. Don't forget we have another bowl being added and I believe rotate the Bahamas Bowl starting soon. Also UTEP and UTSA are far from being top 25 teams.

IF we took 2 teams away from CUSA (assuming they had already added to get back to 14) then both conferences would then be at 12.
The biggest advantage CUSA has over the SBC is their current TV deal.
01-27-2015 10:24 AM
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

(01-27-2015 10:09 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  Why not invite Florida State and USC?

Nobody goes back unless you can make a real case for a lot more money, that the pecking order has changed, or some other real concrete benefit that means hard cash.

Cost savings and rivalries could make a good arguement and if a bowl game being negotiated then it would make the move much easier. What is the exit fee for CUSA? What is the entrance fee for the SBC? if any.
01-27-2015 10:25 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

There is no compelling reason for anyone in CUSA to move to the SBC.
01-27-2015 10:29 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU

01-27-2015 10:37 AM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-27-2015 10:29 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  There is no compelling reason for anyone in CUSA to move to the SBC.

I'm guessing so - back end fees for leaving alone would be disincentive.

I'm kind of wondering what incentives Belt teams would have to join C-USA.

Football: slightly better but both SB and CUSA were behind FCS Missouri Valley Conference
Exposure: CUSA games do show up on those over-the-air in-between channels but nobody cares ( see above )
Bowl Games: CUSA 5 guarantees for 13 schools, SB 4 guarantees for 11 schools
Bowl Game Access: TxSt, NMSU, and Idaho would have better options if eligible. But would they be eligible?
Finances: entrance fee is pretty hefty for an uncertain revenue future. How long to recoup that?
Basketball: both are 1 bid leagues ( only MWC had more than one among G5 and that was 2 ).
Travel: CUSA is a scatter shot.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 11:39 AM by DoubleAggie.)
01-27-2015 11:38 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2015 11:38 AM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  
(01-27-2015 10:29 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  There is no compelling reason for anyone in CUSA to move to the SBC.

Football: slightly better but both SB and CUSA were behind FCS Missouri Valley Conference
Exposure: CUSA games do show up on those over-the-air in-between channels but nobody cares
Bowl Game Access: TxSt, NMSU, and Idaho would have better options if eligible.
Finances: entrance fee is pretty hefty for an uncertain revenue future. How long to recoup that?
Basketball: both are 1 bid leagues ( only MWC had more than one among G5 and that was 2 ).
The only real reason is survival. Nobody wants to be the last left to tirn off the lights in a conference.
01-27-2015 11:39 AM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Poaching CUSA Texas teams will be nigh impossible because of the following:

- CUSA has a buyout clause, don't they? Couple mill if memory serves.
- They'd lose TV revenue during the transition, to move to a less funded TV deal (for now, future could be different).
- Lack of Texas bowls. They already know Texas State needs to basically win the conference to have a for sure shot at a bowl, and we aren't adding any bowls that help us, so it will be all the more difficult for them.

The conference as a whole would have to make a concerted effort to make this conference "Texan friendly" and I don't know that is necessarily a good thing for EVERYONE. I'd love it, but not sure how the folks at (for example) App State would feel about it.
01-27-2015 12:48 PM
TXSTCAT Offline
Bench Warmer

In cases like this wouldn't the Sun Belt be able to compensate/ refund fees those schools would have to pay? As for TV deal when does CUSA renew their contract and when do we renew ours?
01-27-2015 07:05 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(01-27-2015 07:05 PM)TXSTCAT Wrote:  In cases like this wouldn't the Sun Belt be able to compensate/ refund fees those schools would have to pay? As for TV deal when does CUSA renew their contract and when do we renew ours?

Love your enthusiasm, and not trying to rain on your parade, but seriously . . . They ain't coming . . . No CUSA team is going to come "back to the Belt."

Largely for reasons previously stated, and due to the fact that it's viewed as a step DOWN . . . that alone ensures that it won't happen . . . .
01-27-2015 07:57 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(01-27-2015 11:39 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(01-27-2015 11:38 AM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  

Exposure: CUSA games do show up on those over-the-air in-between channels but nobody cares
Bowl Game Access: TxSt, NMSU, and Idaho would have better options if eligible.
The only real reason is survival. Nobody wants to be the last left to tirn off the lights in a conference.

You are 100% correct, and that is exactly what prevents any SBC member from declining an invitation from CUSA. Everybody knows that if they don't take it, someone else will. I watched it happen in the WAC. Everyone has to look out for their own self interest.
01-27-2015 09:38 PM
ASUMountaineer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian
(01-27-2015 10:23 AM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  Anything like this would require Karl to miss at least 2-3 rounds of golf, ain't hapoening.

Wait! Karl likes to play golf?!? Since when?!?!?!?

/sarcasm
01-28-2015 01:17 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
This is where leadership a do communication comes in real handy. The SBC needs to have a plan, and an agreement from the current schools that we are where we want to be. Let's start attacking the CUSA! When they get raided, instead of jumping ship, we raid the CUSA as well.
01-28-2015 01:28 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-28-2015 01:28 PM)Usajags Wrote:  This is where leadership a do communication comes in real handy. The SBC needs to have a plan, and an agreement from the current schools that we are where we want to be. Let's start attacking the CUSA! When they get raided, instead of jumping ship, we raid the CUSA as well.

Sure everyone promises not to leave.....your AD turns down an invite.....then the ULL AD breaks his promise and takes your invite.....your AD is burned at the stake and doesn't work in his chosen career field ever again.

Not going to happen.

The only way you can safely turn down a CUSA invite is if you look at the numbers and they are so good that you know nobody is else is going to leave.
01-28-2015 01:44 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(01-28-2015 01:44 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 01:28 PM)Usajags Wrote:  This is where leadership a do communication comes in real handy. The SBC needs to have a plan, and an agreement from the current schools that we are where we want to be. Let's start attacking the CUSA! When they get raided, instead of jumping ship, we raid the CUSA as well.

Sure everyone promises not to leave.....your AD turns down an invite.....then the ULL AD breaks his promise and takes your invite.....your AD is burned at the stake and doesn't work in his chosen career field ever again.

Not going to happen.

The only way you can safely turn down a CUSA invite is if you look at the numbers and they are so good that you know nobody is else is going to leave.
The WAC had some sort of agreement that all schools were on board with keeping the conference stable and working together. Except everyone in the WAC was talking to other conferences. Every member was lying to each other.
01-28-2015 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(01-28-2015 04:36 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 01:44 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Not going to happen.

The WAC had some sort of agreement that all schools were on board with keeping the conference stable and working together. Except everyone in the WAC was talking to other conferences. Every member was lying to each other.

Yeah, I remember that, worked out reeeeeeeal well . . . ... 01-swc WAC
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 07:04 PM by Bobcat87.)
01-28-2015 07:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.