Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sunbelt Gets Some Props For Running Game--Dennis Dodd
Bookmark and Share
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Sunbelt Gets Some Props For Running Game--Dennis Dodd
In a CBS-Sports.com article about how the offensive revolution has been sparked by the running game, the Sunbelt gets an impressive stat mentioned. Having watched a number of Texas State games, I had noticed that the Sunbelt does have some solid running games--but the below stats are impressive.

The Sun Belt was most productive conference on the ground, averaging more than 194 yards per game and 4.74 yards per carry. Georgia Southern, averaging more than 381 yards per game, led the country. It is not listed at the top of NCAA because it was reclassifying as an FBS program in 2014.

Counting the Eagles, five of the 11 Sun Belt programs finished in the top 50 in rushing. The Big Ten had three in the top 11 in that category (Wisconsin, Ohio State, Indiana).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ound-gains
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 11:38 AM by Attackcoog.)
01-26-2015 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Sunbelt Gets Some Props For Running Game--Dennis Dodd
Is this stat due to running game being that good or run defenses being that bad?????

Kinda like, are the offenses in the PAC12 that good or are the defenses that bad. And every year we see it is because the defenses are just that bad over in the left coast.
01-26-2015 03:06 PM
Oldyeller Online
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
(01-26-2015 03:06 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Is this stat due to running game being that good or run defenses being that bad?????

Kinda like, are the offenses in the PAC12 that good or are the defenses that bad. And every year we see it is because the defenses are just that bad over in the left coast.

It's relative. Assuming that the offenses are as bad as the defenses the stat is impressive.
01-26-2015 03:15 PM
Advertisement

TrojanNation Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Troy
Defenses have gotten smaller and quicker due to the revolution of the spread/passing game that most of the SBC has been using. Now you have several teams running a spread/power run game that is absolutely manhandling dlines (at least in TROY's case).
01-26-2015 03:20 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(01-26-2015 03:06 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Is this stat due to running game being that good or run defenses being that bad?????

It's a fair question, and I had the same thought. But just to note - Southern put up some pretty good rushing stats against two ACC teams. Both of which nearly beat Florida State. I acknowledge that last thing is somewhat deminished by the thrashing that FSU took at the hands of Oregon.
01-27-2015 11:37 AM
Advertisement

Duncan20 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: App State
Nice article. Thanks for linking it. I also saw a graphic at the bottom of the article that showed the "most balanced offenses". Not sure if that equates to anything great but it is nice to see App in a list. 04-rock
NATION'S MOST-BALANCED OFFENSES
RANK SCHOOL RUSH/PASS DIFFERENCE
1. North Carolina State 7 yards
2. Middle Tennessee 44 yards
3. Alabama-Birmingham 92 yards
4. Florida 93 yards
5. Utah 95 yards
6. Washington 161 yards
7. Eastern Michigan 167 yards
8. Marshall 215 yards
9. Ohio State 260 yards
10. Applachian State 264 yards
11. Toledo 289 yards
12. Auburn 337 yards
01-27-2015 12:19 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(01-27-2015 12:19 PM)Duncan20 Wrote:  Nice article. Thanks for linking it. I also saw a graphic at the bottom of the article that showed the "most balanced offenses". Not sure if that equates to anything great but it is nice to see App in a list. 04-rock
NATION'S MOST-BALANCED OFFENSES
RANK SCHOOL RUSH/PASS DIFFERENCE
1. North Carolina State 7 yards
2. Middle Tennessee 44 yards
3. Alabama-Birmingham 92 yards
4. Florida 93 yards
5. Utah 95 yards
6. Washington 161 yards
7. Eastern Michigan 167 yards
8. Marshall 215 yards
9. Ohio State 260 yards
10. Applachian State 264 yards
11. Toledo 289 yards
12. Auburn 337 yards

Pretty cool to make the list but that's a horrible statistic to use for comparison. Total yardage never tells you much of anything.
01-27-2015 12:32 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
I do sort of like that so many SBC teams seem to be run heavy. Troy may be one of only a few bombing a way like Troy ('07-'09), Arkansas State (under Freeze), and Appalachian State (under Jerry Moore).

I felt like in 11, 12, and 13 Troy's offense was nullified in some ways with almost everyone trying to do what Troy had been doing with high flying passing offenses, and Troy's pass defense being complete garbage.

Neal Brown was 1st in the country in offensive tempo and 2nd in the country in passing yards during his time at TT and had similar numbers at Troy. Very exciting offense to watch. I don't know if last season was an anomaly, but if the trend continues, Troy may be on an island with the rest of the league going run heavy.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 12:43 PM by TroyFootball05.)
01-27-2015 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(01-27-2015 12:42 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I do sort of like that so many SBC teams seem to be run heavy. Troy may be one of only a few bombing a way like Troy ('07-'09), Arkansas State (under Freeze), and Appalachian State (under Jerry Moore).

I felt like in 11, 12, and 13 Troy's offense was nullified in some ways with almost everyone trying to do what Troy had been doing with high flying passing offenses, and Troy's pass defense being complete garbage.

Neal Brown was 1st in the country in offensive tempo and 2nd in the country in passing yards during his time at TT and had similar numbers at Troy. Very exciting offense to watch. I don't know if last season was an anomaly, but if the trend continues, Troy may be on an island with the rest of the league going run heavy.

App was more of a running team under Jerry Moore. When they went the way of the spread they tossed it around a good bit, but they also had an incredibly strong rushing attack to go along with it. The combo of Edwards and Richardson was hard to stop. I keep expecting them to go back in that direction, and I think they did toward the end of the season. They were definitely way too pass heavy early on.
01-27-2015 12:54 PM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(01-27-2015 12:54 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  
(01-27-2015 12:42 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I do sort of like that so many SBC teams seem to be run heavy. Troy may be one of only a few bombing a way like Troy ('07-'09), Arkansas State (under Freeze), and Appalachian State (under Jerry Moore).

App was more of a running team under Jerry Moore. When they went the way of the spread they tossed it around a good bit, but they also had an incredibly strong rushing attack to go along with it. The combo of Edwards and Richardson was hard to stop. I keep expecting them to go back in that direction, and I think they did toward the end of the season. They were definitely way too pass heavy early on.

Once Cox had recovered and we decided to use an H-Back to block our offense took off. I'm glad to see us running the ball more because the pass happy O we started the year with just wasn't going to get it done.
01-28-2015 02:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.