Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
NFL suspends WR Josh Gordon
Josh Gordon facing 1-year ban
Updated: January 25, 2015, 4:09 PM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has failed another drug test and now will be subject to a one-year suspension, according to league sources.

[Image: nfl_g_gordts_600x400.jpg]
Josh Gordon has failed another drug test and is now subject to a one-year suspension, according to league sources. Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

The failed test is the latest in a long line of setbacks for Gordon, whose future in Cleveland and the NFL now will be in question.

Gordon ended the season in controversy when, on Dec. 27, he was suspended for the final game for violating team rules. He would have been suspended for all of 2014 were it not for a new drug testing and punishment policy the NFL implemented that allowed him to return after missing the first 10 games.

He entered the NFL after being dismissed from Baylor for a failed marijuana test. Gordon later told the Houston Chronicle: "It was against school policy, of course, and I was [suspended] in the summer. I've definitely put that part of my life behind me. I don't plan to ever go back there. It was a difficult time, but I learned from it, and I've moved on."

His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, could not be reached for comment.

Gordon caught 24 passes for 303 yards in five games this season. He led the NFL with 1,646 yards in just 14 games in the 2013 season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/122267...-drug-test

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 06:31 PM by ctipton.)
01-25-2015 04:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
RE: Josh Gordon facing 1-year ban
Josh Gordon has failed another drug test, according to report

[Image: -cb839fe0057faf6f.jpg]
The first pass thrown to Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon was just a bit beyond his reach during the first quarter as Atlanta Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant defends. (Joshua Gunter / The Plain Dealer)

Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
on January 25, 2015 at 4:15 PM, updated January 25, 2015 at 4:18 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Josh Gordon has failed another drug test, according to a report by ESPN's Adam Schefter, raising doubt again about his future with the Cleveland Browns.

The failed drug test is just the latest in a series of missteps by the receiver. The last game of the 2014 season, he was suspended by the Browns for violation of team rules after he a mandatory walk-through.

Gordon was placed on the list for reserve/suspended by club and missed Sunday's season finale in Baltimore. Gordon had been late to other team functions this season and has been fined for it.

Missing the Ravens game left Gordon with only five games played this season, which does not account as an accrued year. It means that the Browns will have him under contract through 2016 -- unless Gordon's agent Drew Rosenhaus and the NFLPA fight the situation and win.

When Gordon's year-long marijuana ban for this season was reduced to 10 games and he became eligible for the last six games last fall, the Browns got cheated out of a year of free agency. With Gordon set to play in six games in 2014 -- an accrued season -- he would've been eligible for unrestricted free agency after 2015.

The way it stands now, Gordon would be a restricted free agent after 2015 and an unrestricted after 2016.

Unless a battle with Gordon's camp ensues -- and it likely will.

Gordon started five games after returning from his 10-game suspension imposed by the NFL. He made 24 catches for 303 yards.

Gordon was also suspended by the NFL for two games at the beginning of 2013 for testing positive for codeine, which he said was in his prescribed cough syrup. He returned to lead the NFL with 1,646 yards and make the Pro Bowl and All-Pro teams.

Browns general manager Ray Farmer has consistently said a team does not need an elite receiver to win a Super Bowl, and the Browns were not pleased with Gordon's performance after he returned for the Falcons game Nov. 23.

After catching eight and seven passes in his first two games back, he caught two, three and four in the next three games.

The Browns might be getting to the point where they feel Gordon isn't worth the trouble. And if he feels the Browns suspended him for this game to keep him from becoming a free agent after next year, he might not want to be here any longer.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...cart_river

01-25-2015 04:29 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
Again!? Why would anyone even mess with this guy?

01-25-2015 04:37 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
(01-25-2015 04:37 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  Again!? Why would anyone even mess with this guy?

Steve Howe (major league pitcher) was suspended 7 times.

01-25-2015 04:53 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 09:16 AM by CliftonAve.)
01-26-2015 09:16 AM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
[Image: kangaroo-kicks-man-into-lake.gif][Image: animated.gif]

01-27-2015 07:43 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
NFL suspends WR Josh Gordon
Updated: February 3, 2015, 6:17 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The NFL officially announced Tuesday that Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has been suspended without pay for at least one year for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

[Image: nfl_g_gordon3_cr_c1296x864_600x400.jpg]
Josh Gordon has been suspended for at least the 2015 season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. (Scott Cunningham/Getty Images)

Gordon's suspension begins immediately, the league said.

"As we have conveyed, we are disappointed to once again be at this point with Josh," Browns general manager Ray Farmer said in a statement.

"Throughout his career we have tried to assist him in getting support like we would with any member of our organization. Unfortunately our efforts have not resonated with him. It is evident that Josh needs to make some substantial strides to live up to the positive culture we are trying to build this football team upon. Our hope is that this suspension affords Josh the opportunity to gain some clarity in determining what he wants to accomplish moving forward and if he wants a career in the Nation Football League. We will have no further comment on Josh as he will not be permitted in our facility for the duration of his suspension."

Gordon tested positive for alcohol, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter last month.

Gordon was arrested on July 5, 2014, and charged with driving while impaired after speeding down a street in Raleigh, North Carolina. Gordon was previously suspended for the first two games of the 2013 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/122751...t-one-year

02-03-2015 06:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.