Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shane Carden's dream school was SMU - but June Jones couldn't return a phone call
Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
Shane Carden's dream school was SMU - but June Jones couldn't return a phone call
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-sc...8782bc42f7

Chad Morris is rebuilding SMU by recruiting in state, and he's already winning some major battles

...For Morris and his staff to rebuild relationships, something as simple as a phone call could be all that’s needed. When Smith reached out to Bellaire Episcopal coach Steve Leisz to give him his newly minted SMU e-mail address, Leisz was flabbergasted.

“Because, in my years of coaching, there’s not been a SMU guy return a phone call,” Leisz said.

Under Leisz for the past decade, Episcopal has won two of the last three Southwest Preparatory Conference large-school titles. In recent years, the school has produced Division I prospects with some regularity. Leisz said he had at least three in the current pipeline: Giovanni Pancotti, a 6-6, 290-pound junior offensive lineman with offers from Houston and Texas Tech; and two sophomores whom Leisz believes will be major college recruits, defensive tackle Marvin Wilson and receiver Jhamon Ausbon.

If not for the coaching change, none of them would have ever contemplated attending SMU. While he could pick up his phone and get Texas or TCU “within 10 minutes,” Leisz had so little success contacting SMU’s staff during Jones’ tenure that he actively dissuaded his players from considering the Mustangs.

For an example, Leisz pointed to five years ago. He had a senior quarterback, an accomplished passer, who dreamed of going to SMU. Leisz tried to reach out, to no avail.

“I couldn’t do anything,” he said.

That quarterback, Shane Carden, went to East Carolina instead. As a senior this season, Carden became East Carolina’s career passing leader, ironically setting the mark against SMU in a 45-24 win. Ending his career as ECU’s all-time leader in completions, touchdowns and total yards, Carden is considered by ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. as the 10th-best quarterback prospect in the upcoming NFL draft.

“Now, when I look at all the coaching clinics coming up, I see SMU, SMU, SMU, around everything,” Leisz said. “There’s no doubt they are making a splash.”
01-25-2015 07:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
RE: Shane Carden's dream school was SMU - but June Jones couldn't return a phone call
(01-25-2015 07:04 AM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-sc...8782bc42f7

Chad Morris is rebuilding SMU by recruiting in state, and he's already winning some major battles

...For Morris and his staff to rebuild relationships, something as simple as a phone call could be all that’s needed. When Smith reached out to Bellaire Episcopal coach Steve Leisz to give him his newly minted SMU e-mail address, Leisz was flabbergasted.

“Because, in my years of coaching, there’s not been a SMU guy return a phone call,” Leisz said.

Under Leisz for the past decade, Episcopal has won two of the last three Southwest Preparatory Conference large-school titles. In recent years, the school has produced Division I prospects with some regularity. Leisz said he had at least three in the current pipeline: Giovanni Pancotti, a 6-6, 290-pound junior offensive lineman with offers from Houston and Texas Tech; and two sophomores whom Leisz believes will be major college recruits, defensive tackle Marvin Wilson and receiver Jhamon Ausbon.

If not for the coaching change, none of them would have ever contemplated attending SMU. While he could pick up his phone and get Texas or TCU “within 10 minutes,” Leisz had so little success contacting SMU’s staff during Jones’ tenure that he actively dissuaded his players from considering the Mustangs.

For an example, Leisz pointed to five years ago. He had a senior quarterback, an accomplished passer, who dreamed of going to SMU. Leisz tried to reach out, to no avail.

That quarterback, Shane Carden, went to East Carolina instead. As a senior this season, Carden became East Carolina’s career passing leader, ironically setting the mark against SMU in a 45-24 win. Ending his career as ECU’s all-time leader in completions, touchdowns and total yards, Carden is considered by ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. as the 10th-best quarterback prospect in the upcoming NFL draft.

“Now, when I look at all the coaching clinics coming up, I see SMU, SMU, SMU, around everything,” Leisz said. “There’s no doubt they are making a splash.”
Wow. No reason for SMU not to be really good in football. Great school, great recruiting grounds and great story to sell.
01-25-2015 07:21 AM
Herd_fever Offline
Banned

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Shane Carden's dream school was SMU - but June Jones couldn't return a phone call
A story of cheating??
01-25-2015 08:18 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
I love June so much.
01-25-2015 08:47 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(01-25-2015 08:18 AM)Herd_fever Wrote:  A story of cheating??

Those who live in glass houses, Marshall fan..
01-25-2015 09:34 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(01-25-2015 09:34 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Those who live in glass houses, Marshall fan..

Amen
01-25-2015 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC

That was 30 years ago. And every school in the Southwest Conference was doing the same thing. Didn't Eric Dickerson get a Trans Am from A&M? A player from Oklahoma got a new house for his mother.

Don't be a an idiot.
01-25-2015 10:06 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown

Lol coming from Marshall
01-25-2015 10:20 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

Mods with all due respect, why is this person allowed to keep posting here?
01-25-2015 10:21 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Wow...watch out for SMU over the next couple of years.

That Marshall fan is adorable. Like a little kid, who had his juice box taken and therefor he hates everyone.
01-25-2015 10:54 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
i lulzed at juice box

June basically just trolled Pony Fans for 5 years and took home 10 million bucks.

I love him so much.
01-25-2015 10:56 AM
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Shane Carden's dream school was SMU - but June Jones couldn't return a phone ...
(01-25-2015 07:04 AM)Carolina Stang Wrote:  http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-sc...8782bc42f7

As Tracy Jordan says, "I hate to say I told you so, so...Welcome to Miami!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-25-2015 11:49 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(01-25-2015 10:56 AM)panicstricken Wrote:  June basically just trolled Pony Fans for 5 years and took home 10 million bucks.

I love him so much.

June Jones helped land Larry Brown. That was a game changer.

All things considered, he was a positive hire for SMU. Just time to move on.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 01:08 PM by BigEastHomer.)
01-25-2015 01:07 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

No clue if SMU was Shane's "dream school" but a lot of teams in the state of Texas and in the region missed on him. I'm sure had SMU or Houston (read an article a while back talking about how he wanted to go there as well) offered him he'd have never come to ECU, so thanks a lot guys!
01-25-2015 01:15 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

He's not a NQ...no reason to consider Marshall. 07-coffee3
01-25-2015 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I'm not sure June would have offered him anyway
01-25-2015 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
June doesn't like a good quarterbacks
01-25-2015 01:41 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-25-2015 07:21 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  No reason for SMU not to be really good in football. Great school, great recruiting grounds and great story to sell.
This.

I remember when Jones was hired from Hawaii, I really believed that SMU had finally turned the corner from its post-death-penalty doldrums. And -- give Jones some credit here -- the Ponies did show some signs of life. But they never really emerged as a national force. Never showed up in a Top 25 poll, never won a conference title. And then the last 2 years or so, Jones just mentally checked out for some reason. I don't know what that was about, but it sure f****d SMU up badly.

I don't know how it will go with Chad Morris, but sounds like he knows what he's doing. Good luck to SMU.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 04:03 PM by Native Georgian.)
01-25-2015 04:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

The newly hired staffs at SMU, Houston, and Tulsa all have some strong ties to Texas recruiting. I expect that the AAC West is going to be stocking up on Texas talent. With improvement on the horizon for Houston, SMU, and Tulsa----along with an already solid Memphis---plus an 8-win Navy on the way---this new group of coaches is going to make the AAC West fun to watch over the next few years.
01-25-2015 05:35 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Shane Carden's dream school was SMU - but June Jones couldn't return a phone ...
(01-25-2015 05:35 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

The newly hired staffs at SMU, Houston, and Tulsa all have some strong ties to Texas recruiting. I expect that the AAC West is going to be stocking up on Texas talent. With improvement on the horizon for Houston, SMU, and Tulsa----along with an already solid Memphis---plus an 8-win Navy on the way---this new group of coaches is going to make the AAC West fun to watch over the next few years.

All the teams in the West have good Texas ties. I know Navy got 3-4 solid recruits out of Nashville too.
01-25-2015 05:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.