Presidential Search Finalists
Bookmark and Share
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Glad to see some women in the mix.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Education/201...lists.html

It doesn't say it in the Blade story, but Howard is a graduate of the Air Force Academy, was a Rhodes Scholar, has a PhD from Oxford and an MBA from Harvard. Also played football at USAFA. You'd think they might include that!
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015 11:33 AM by DetroitRocket.)
01-22-2015 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Presidential Search Finalists
(01-22-2015 11:12 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Also played football at USAFA.

Pick him!!!
01-22-2015 11:42 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-22-2015 11:42 AM)RangerRocket Wrote:  
(01-22-2015 11:12 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Also played football at USAFA.

Pick him!!!

Helicopter pilot and intelligence officer. Played on a top HS team in Texas. Use him for recruiting.
01-22-2015 11:46 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Diversity is clearly a mandate. White man need not apply? Just asking. I am looking forward to getting to know whoever is selected. Anything to make UT better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015 01:20 PM by indianasniff.)
01-22-2015 12:29 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
If the President candidates are not PRO athletics like Doc Jacobs was, they can pull their name out of the hat now and save us the fight.
01-22-2015 01:29 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2015 12:29 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Diversity is clearly a mandate. White man need not apply? Just asking. I am looking forward to getting to know whoever is selected. Anything to make UT better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it's not clear and can you see, yours in exactly the response that says we aren't "there" yet?

Look at those qualifications! How are you going to say, they were not the three best applicants?
01-22-2015 04:07 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Read again and repeat.

LOOK AT THOSE QUALIFICATIONS!

Personally, I don't wan none a dat british or southern speak. Deyd better learn to talk like a proper Toledoan!
01-22-2015 04:15 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Hire the best candidate. If this is the best fine. I did not see a list of semi finalists. Whoever is hired will have a tough act to follow as far as the predecessor for athletics. Staff not so much from what I hear

As for being there yet I agree. We are not.

Big test. Pronounce Maumee correctly

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
01-22-2015 06:43 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Just read thru the cover letters. The gentleman that is currently a president took the time to speak about Toledo and less of himself. That is appealing to me. He is putting himself at our university instead of listing past accomplishments. He is my favorite.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
01-22-2015 07:09 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
My selection criteria:

Reading through those curriculum vitae and cover letters I have to admit I had to lift my feet up off of the ground as to avoid stepping in it...

First Candidate

Has quite the affinity for crayfish, crabs, and barnacles... i.e.:

Hemolymph ecdysone and electrolytes during the molting cycle of crayfish: a comparison of natural molts with those induced by eyestalk removal or multiple limb autotomy.

Wow, I would not want to be the crayfish who endured an eyestalk removal.... sounds painful

So crayfish, crabs, and barnacles but no mention of Rockets or athletics...

My Vote: REJECTED!!!

Second Candidate

A really desperate stab:

In 2010 I joined the Chancellor and Athletics Director (the current chair of the Bowl Selection Committee) on a trip to the NCAA offices in Indianapolis to learn more about our relationship with the NCAA.

My Vote: Nice Try, REJECTED!!!

Third Candidate

Just as importantly, a unified UT will offer its constituencies the esprit de corps or dare I say “swagger” they so deserve.

Our athletic program had the highest percentage of wins of any college in Virginia a few years ago while our basketball team will be one of the few DIII programs to play on ESPNU this year.

The University of Toledo is as the mascot intimates a “Rocket”.

It would be an honor to discuss the role I might play in helping this fine school (Rocket) achieve even greater heights.

My Vote: Ding, Ding, Ding, WINNER!!!

Go Rockets!!!

That is all, carry on...
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2015 09:37 PM by RangerRocket.)
01-22-2015 09:28 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Dear Mr. RangerRocket,

I am pleased to announce the Presidential Search Committee has recommended three outstanding finalists for the presidency of The University of Toledo.

On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I want to say how thankful we are for the input, expertise and guidance from faculty, staff and student leadership, as well as alumni, UT supporters and members of the community who served on the search committee.

In short order, we hope to have developed itineraries for the candidates to visit campus. While here, they will meet with leadership from our faculty, students, staff and administration, learn about the campus, and participate in open forums where members of the UT community can come, ask questions and hear about the candidates’ visions for this University’s future.

Once finalized, this information will be heavily publicized, and you can always visit utoledo.edu/presidential-search for the most up-to-date information.

The candidates selected for on-campus interviews are:

· Dr. Sharon Gaber, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at the University of Arkansas.

· Dr. Christopher Howard, president of Hampden-Sydney College.

· Dr. Michele Wheatly, professor and senior adviser to the president at West Virginia University.

The most important part of the search will take place in the coming weeks and as members of the UT community, you will play a critical role. In addition to the open forums, we will be setting up feedback opportunities through the presidential search website to share your views as the Board works to make a final decision.

Thank you for the work you do for The University of Toledo.

Sincerely,

Joseph Zerbey
Chairman
The University of Toledo Board of Trustees
01-22-2015 09:43 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Gaber did stuff and dropped names.
Howard grew the stuff though at a smaller private school and brought in donor money.
Wheatley's got that Medical background everyone wants and brought in grant money.

I HATE the quote someone famous cover letter. Strikes against Howard and Wheatley but Gaber dropped the Walton name, without ever saying she actually has something to do with them, so it all evens out.

I HATE the "urban" designation, it's a killer and means what exactly regards UT? Kill it, don't use it (except to get money). It was a farm when it started, it's not "urban." It's... rural. :)

I'm leaning Howard, the endowment needs work and I like that he grew the place but a uni can't run off donor money, it needs grant money. I think Wheatley gets it.

STEM, STEAM, STEM-H, someone shoot me in the head, I'm tired of buzzwords.
01-22-2015 10:43 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Not particularly impressed with this group of finalists.UT need more dynamic leadership. You're not only determining the future of the University, but the city and region.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2015 03:30 AM by Boca Rocket.)
01-23-2015 03:21 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Dynamic in what way? I've not heard any of them actually speak. They boring? The resume's are I guess what academic resumes are but they all seem accomplished.
01-23-2015 05:27 AM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
(01-22-2015 09:28 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  My selection criteria:

Reading through those curriculum vitae and cover letters I have to admit I had to lift my feet up off of the ground as to avoid stepping in it...

First Candidate

Has quite the affinity for crayfish, crabs, and barnacles... i.e.:

Hemolymph ecdysone and electrolytes during the molting cycle of crayfish: a comparison of natural molts with those induced by eyestalk removal or multiple limb autotomy.

Wow, I would not want to be the crayfish who endured an eyestalk removal.... sounds painful

So crayfish, crabs, and barnacles but no mention of Rockets or athletics...

My Vote: REJECTED!!!

Second Candidate

A really desperate stab:

In 2010 I joined the Chancellor and Athletics Director (the current chair of the Bowl Selection Committee) on a trip to the NCAA offices in Indianapolis to learn more about our relationship with the NCAA.

My Vote: Nice Try, REJECTED!!!

Third Candidate

Just as importantly, a unified UT will offer its constituencies the esprit de corps or dare I say “swagger” they so deserve.

Our athletic program had the highest percentage of wins of any college in Virginia a few years ago while our basketball team will be one of the few DIII programs to play on ESPNU this year.

The University of Toledo is as the mascot intimates a “Rocket”.

It would be an honor to discuss the role I might play in helping this fine school (Rocket) achieve even greater heights.

My Vote: Ding, Ding, Ding, WINNER!!!

Go Rockets!!!

That is all, carry on...

Which candidate goes with which number?
01-23-2015 07:40 AM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(01-23-2015 07:40 AM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  Which candidate goes with which number?

1 - W
2 - G
3 - H
01-23-2015 07:56 AM
Advertisement

SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2015 07:56 AM)RangerRocket Wrote:  
(01-23-2015 07:40 AM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  Which candidate goes with which number?

1 - W
2 - G
3 - H

Thanks, Ranger. Great analysis. I agree with your assessment.
01-23-2015 07:59 AM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(01-22-2015 11:12 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Glad to see some women in the mix.

It doesn't say it in the Blade story, but Howard is a graduate of the Air Force Academy, was a Rhodes Scholar, has a PhD from Oxford and an MBA from Harvard. Also played football at USAFA. You'd think they might include that!

My vote is for Howard. Can't beat his credentials.
01-23-2015 10:21 AM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2015 10:21 AM)BDV27 Wrote:  
(01-22-2015 11:12 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Glad to see some women in the mix.

My vote is for Howard. Can't beat his credentials.

http://www.hsc.edu/About-H-SC/President/...oward.html
01-23-2015 10:35 AM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(01-22-2015 10:43 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Gaber did stuff and dropped names.
Howard grew the stuff though at a smaller private school and brought in donor money.
Wheatley's got that Medical background everyone wants and brought in grant money.

I HATE the quote someone famous cover letter. Strikes against Howard and Wheatley but Gaber dropped the Walton name, without ever saying she actually has something to do with them, so it all evens out.

I HATE the "urban" designation, it's a killer and means what exactly regards UT? Kill it, don't use it (except to get money). It was a farm when it started, it's not "urban." It's... rural. :)

I'm leaning Howard, the endowment needs work and I like that he grew the place but a uni can't run off donor money, it needs grant money. I think Wheatley gets it.

STEM, STEAM, STEM-H, someone shoot me in the head, I'm tired of buzzwords.

Johnson saw Toledo as an urban university. That was his academic specialty. He saw Toledo as a "small" school and he said no to leaving the MAC. 03-banghead
01-23-2015 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.