Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If Connecticut and Boston College are heated rivals....
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
If Connecticut and Boston College are heated rivals....
Why don't the schools end their football season playing each other like other rivalry games? For example- Clemson and South Carolina. Georgia and Georgia Tech. Army and Navy.
01-18-2015 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
RE: If Connecticut and Boston College are heated rivals....
Cause BC thinks their ***** too good to even think about UConn.
01-18-2015 11:33 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
There's a lot of bad blood there, unlike the other rivalries you listed.

Also, BC fans will tell you that it doesn't benefit them at all to play a school like UCONN.
01-18-2015 11:34 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(01-18-2015 11:34 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  There's a lot of bad blood there, unlike the other rivalries you listed.

Also, BC fans will tell you that it doesn't benefit them at all to play a school like UCONN.

There's bad blood between UCLA and USC - but they play each other.

Bad blood is what makes rivalries fun. TV contracts have killed a lot of the fun in college football.
01-18-2015 11:38 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
They hate each other too much.

Cooler heads will prevail, in about 50 years.
01-18-2015 11:39 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(01-18-2015 11:38 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(01-18-2015 11:34 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  There's a lot of bad blood there, unlike the other rivalries you listed.

Bad blood is what makes rivalries fun. TV contracts have killed a lot of the fun in college football.

The difference is that UCLA and USC have to play each other as a result of being in the same conference.
01-18-2015 11:40 AM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline

(01-18-2015 11:38 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  

It's 100x worse between BC and UConn.

No disrespect intended, but this topic isn't worth discussing. The teams won't play until we're long gone.
01-18-2015 11:44 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
It'll happen eventually...give it 5-10 years. A 1-1-1 with the 3rd game at Foxboro would be cool.
01-18-2015 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
No bad blood between South Carolina and Clemson at allll
01-18-2015 01:02 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

(01-18-2015 01:00 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  It'll happen eventually...give it 50-100 years. A 1-1-1 with the 3rd game at Foxboro would be cool.

Had to FIFY.
01-18-2015 01:15 PM
UConn-SMU Offline

(01-18-2015 01:00 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  It'll happen eventually...give it 5-10 years. A 1-1-1 with the 3rd game at Foxboro would be cool.

That makes too much sense.
01-18-2015 01:25 PM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
No P5 wants a G5 as a rival.
01-19-2015 09:38 AM
rallen Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-19-2015 09:38 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  No P5 wants a G5 as a rival.

That's exactly why. BC views it as a game where they have nothing to gain by winning but a lot to lose if they get beat. They see themselves as the big dog in New England and won't jeopardize that perception. However, if somehow UCONN ever gets an invite to the B1G, I'm sure the game will happen, and wouldn't be surprised if it were BC that initiated the discussions.
01-19-2015 10:22 AM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(01-19-2015 10:22 AM)rallen Wrote:  

That's exactly why. BC views it as a game where they have nothing to gain by winning but a lot to lose if they get beat. They see themselves as the big dog in New England and won't jeopardize that perception. However, if somehow UCONN ever gets an invite to the B1G, I'm sure the game will happen, and wouldn't be surprised if it were BC that initiated the discussions.

Between 1893 and 2009, Tulane played LSU 98 times, the rivalry stopped (just like why BC won't play UConn) because LSU had nothing to gain + would rather schedule some bum to get their own gate rather than help Tulane by playing in the Dome. It's messed up but personally TU really has to look at ourselves (partially) for sucking so bad.
01-19-2015 11:07 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
You could repeat that pattern many times over between P5 schools and our schools. You can even repeat that pattern between our schools and CUSA ,Sun Belt or MAC schools

Whichever school feels is in a higher position will be less likely to agree to those games. Penn State did it to Pitt and they were both in BCS conferences
01-19-2015 11:12 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
What's with the "If" in the title? Are you actually questioning whether these schools hate eachother?
01-19-2015 11:22 AM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2015 11:07 AM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

Between 1893 and 2009, Tulane played LSU 98 times, the rivalry stopped (just like why BC won't play UConn) because LSU had nothing to gain + would rather schedule some bum to get their own gate rather than help Tulane by playing in the Dome. It's messed up but personally TU really has to look at ourselves (partially) for sucking so bad.

I'm glad that rivalry is dead. Tulane needed to move on.

Also, keep in mind that Tulane also would not take measures to help keep the rivalry alive as well. The BR crowd claims that Tulane were apparently being stingy during negotiations and wouldn't cave on anything.
01-19-2015 11:28 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(01-18-2015 11:25 AM)chess Wrote:  Why don't the schools end their football season playing each other like other rivalry games? For example- Clemson and South Carolina. Georgia and Georgia Tech. Army and Navy.

1) As said elsewhere, BC and UConn are not so much "heated rivals" as much as they just hate each other.

2) Remember, BC and UConn actually have very little FOOTBALL history in that UConn played at the FCS level most of the time BC was playing in the BE. UConn was elevating their program when BC left, meaning there was only something like a two-or-so season overlap where BC actually played UConn as equals in FB.

3) It really is NOT in BC's interest to play UConn in the same way that it is not in WVU's interest to play Marshall or that it is not in OSU's interest to play UC. New England doesn't produce much FBS-level talent, BC is "in" the power-world while UConn is not, and if BC wins they gain nothing and if they lose then they look bad. I'm not saying it's "fair," but it is what it is.

4) BC's traditional rivals, that they ***SHOULD*** finish the year with is really either Notre Dame or Miami.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 11:38 AM by BearcatJerry.)
01-19-2015 11:33 AM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(01-19-2015 11:28 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(01-19-2015 11:07 AM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

I'm glad that rivalry is dead. Tulane needed to move on.

Also, keep in mind that Tulane also would not take measures to help keep the rivalry alive as well. The BR crowd claims that Tulane were apparently being stingy during negotiations and wouldn't cave on anything.

I'd rather play them but not if we are getting blown out every year.
01-19-2015 11:33 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

Yup. The funny thing is that it's the exact opposite situation when it comes to basketball.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 11:35 AM by HuskyU.)
01-19-2015 11:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.