Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BC lone dissenter on cost of attendance measure
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
BC lone dissenter on cost of attendance measure
We know the P5 passed the cost of attendance measure. What stands out is that Boston College was the one dissenting vote. Is that a surprise? Did you expect more dissenters? Did you expect NO dissenters? I'm personally surprised that BC made a protest vote after knowing this was a done deal and now they stand out. Interesting...
01-18-2015 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VirginiaPirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
RE: BC lone dissenter on cost of attendance measure
From article..."The single "No" vote on COA was Boston College, according to a record of the electronic voting provided by the NCAA. BC released a statement late Saturday that said, in part, the school "is concerned with continuing to pass legislation that increases expenses when the vast majority of schools are already institutionally subsidized. The consequence of such legislation could ultimately hurt student-athletes if/when programs are cut. This legislation further segregates student-athletes from the general student population by increasing aid without need-based consideration. Legislation already exists for student-athletes in need through Pell grants and the student-assistance fund."

*Arguing the issue of whether some athletes really need "extra cash" I.e. Needs based. Also the impact on other programs possibly being cut due to subsidies. Makes sense. Hmm..let the lawsuits begin. Also, would not be shocked if some players end up receiving sweeter benefits than others on the same program based on performance.
01-18-2015 08:55 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I hate BC a little less this morning.
01-18-2015 08:58 AM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Translation: Welcome to the ACC, UConn!
01-18-2015 10:20 AM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(01-18-2015 10:20 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Translation: Welcome to the ACC, UConn!

Won't ever happen.

The only possibility UConn has going to the P5 is if the Big 10 wants to add UConn and Kansas for BB reasons. Maybe that has about a 2% chance of happening.

Or maybe Texas and Oklahoma go to the PAC 12. Then it's all going to hit the fan.
01-18-2015 11:06 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN

04-cheers Wouldn't that be nice...

In all seriousness though, if I'm an ACC President/AD/official, I'd be pretty pissed at BC. It shows a lack of solidarity and a lack of commitment to doing whatever it takes to "play" at the highest level. Yet again not everyone is on the same page regarding that conference (which doesn't reflect well on the ACC).

Note: I'll be pissed if any AAC schools vote against this measure too.
01-18-2015 11:13 AM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-18-2015 11:13 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

In all seriousness though, if I'm an ACC President/AD/official, I'd be pretty pissed at BC. It shows a lack of solidarity and a lack of commitment to doing whatever it takes to "play" at the highest level. Yet again not everyone is on the same page regarding that conference (which doesn't reflect well on the ACC).

There's a 1000% chance you'll be pissed then.
01-18-2015 08:17 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I'd like to have BC in this conference if the ACC doesn't want them. They'd be roughly in the top half in both basketball and football. Their academics are well in order too. BC reminds me a lot of Tulane when it comes to student background and snotty attitude (let's not lie: Tulane has a TON of this on campus).
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 09:06 PM by oliveandblue.)
01-18-2015 09:05 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
??
01-19-2015 01:09 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-18-2015 09:05 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  I'd like to have BC in this conference if the ACC doesn't want them. They'd be roughly in the top half in both basketball and football. Their academics are well in order too. BC reminds me a lot of Tulane when it comes to student background and snotty attitude (let's not lie: Tulane has a TON of this on campus).
Agree with all of this, although in fairness to BC the only two people I have known from there were absolutely wonderful people. Not even a trace of attitude/snobbery about them.
01-19-2015 01:10 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(01-18-2015 08:17 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Hahaha....agreed
01-20-2015 06:54 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(01-20-2015 06:54 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(01-18-2015 08:17 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Hahaha....agreed

Who is voting against it? Aresco said everyone was on board so he's either an idiot or a liar (or possibly both...).
01-20-2015 08:50 AM
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC

Or its possible that BC let the ACC know they were voting that way and the ACC was okay with it since the outcome was already a foregone conclusion. Call me a pessimist, but I see the public votes as a formality after the reality has already been decided. Maybe BC represented the dissenter opinion of a few. We the public see one dissenter when in reality the debate may have actually been closer. The BC Dissenter vote IS the unity vote.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015 09:07 AM by Danger in Carolina.)
01-20-2015 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dezagcoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coogs!
(01-18-2015 08:55 AM)VirginiaPirate Wrote:  From article..."The single "No" vote on COA was Boston College, according to a record of the electronic voting provided by the NCAA. BC released a statement late Saturday that said, in part, the school "is concerned with continuing to pass legislation that increases expenses when the vast majority of schools are already institutionally subsidized. The consequence of such legislation could ultimately hurt student-athletes if/when programs are cut. This legislation further segregates student-athletes from the general student population by increasing aid without need-based consideration. Legislation already exists for student-athletes in need through Pell grants and the student-assistance fund."

*Arguing the issue of whether some athletes really need "extra cash" I.e. Needs based. Also the impact on other programs possibly being cut due to subsidies. Makes sense. Hmm..let the lawsuits begin. Also, would not be shocked if some players end up receiving sweeter benefits than others on the same program based on performance.

I think the worst part is that their line of thinking actually would lead to everything being WAY less controlled. Because if we did it all "needs based" then who would get to decide what needs are, how they are measured, and which ones are met. It almost sounds like BC was arguing for even LESS control on how much the schools spend per kid and how to decide that.
01-20-2015 09:38 AM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
(01-19-2015 01:10 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(01-18-2015 09:05 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  I'd like to have BC in this conference if the ACC doesn't want them. They'd be roughly in the top half in both basketball and football. Their academics are well in order too. BC reminds me a lot of Tulane when it comes to student background and snotty attitude (let's not lie: Tulane has a TON of this on campus).
Agree with all of this, although in fairness to BC the only two people I have known from there were absolutely wonderful people. Not even a trace of attitude/snobbery about them.

I grew up in Boston and have many great BC friends and family members, but overall their students are the worst. The old joke, "how do you know whether someone went to BC?.....They tell you."
01-20-2015 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.