Sad Day For College Athletics
01-17-2015 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Sad Day For College Athletics
(01-17-2015 05:02 PM)wh49er Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col.../21921073/

The cartel continues...

The vote, taken during the NCAA's annual convention, redefines an athletic scholarship so that it can cover not only the traditional tuition, room, board, books and fees, but also the incidental costs of attending college. That means a scholarship will now be able to pay for items including transportation and miscellaneous personal expenses.

Transportation- a new Mercedes or BMW.
Personal expenses- Bling, bling, and more bling.
01-17-2015 05:10 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
No surprise here.
01-17-2015 05:14 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
That makes them pro teams. I'd say take away their tax exempt status. NOW!
01-17-2015 05:14 PM
leapinggazelle Offline
Banned

I Root For: Temple
You only can blame yourself for lousy attendance and viewership in your confernece.
01-17-2015 06:46 PM
shyminer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP MINERS
(01-17-2015 06:46 PM)leapinggazelle Wrote:  You only can blame yourself for lousy attendance and viewership in your confernece.

Say's the Temple fan.03-lmfao
01-17-2015 07:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RougeDawg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
The birth of a new division. The P5 conferences are now a minor league NFL business while the remainder continues the tradition of college athletics. I haven't cared about the NFL for a long time and I will not miss illiterate players from the SEC, Big Ten, PAC 12, ACC, Big XII; to each their own.
01-17-2015 07:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-17-2015 05:14 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  That makes them pro teams. I'd say take away their tax exempt status. NOW!

Pretty much, I would love to see drug testing like the NFL.

I'm pretty sure the IRS loves cases like this.
01-17-2015 07:33 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(01-17-2015 05:14 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  That makes them pro teams. I'd say take away their tax exempt status. NOW!

Agreed! They are definitely "semi-pro" now. I wonder how the IRS will treat these new "stipends"???
01-17-2015 10:10 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
many a folk here been predicting this long time.....

I truly despise the message this sends.....

sidenote: at least usa today used "....five wealthiest conferences...." as opposed to espenis that chose "....power 5 ok cost...."

we are almost officially juco now.....

this is as wrong as what happend to UAB.....

I'm almost at the point where I wish I was UAB alum (not meaning to offend any uab alum).....at least they won't have to suffer through the future torture of degradation....
01-17-2015 10:53 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
college football is dead. the p5 is now the free farm system for the nfl.

when they killed UAB, they killed the honesty in collage football.
01-17-2015 11:43 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-17-2015 10:10 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  

Agreed! They are definitely "semi-pro" now. I wonder how the IRS will treat these new "stipends"???

screw all this.....why would the masses (tv) want to watch lower tier talent.....why would a marginal 3 star even look at lower tier school....

small schools and small towns are screwed.....

once it's defined as such.....only a handful will care....

perception is the b!tch that barks, bites, and never lets go.....

we are now officially a stepping stone....and it no longer only involves coaches.....

I'm telling ya.....transfer players in football will be like hoops moving forward....

at least I got to witness 40 years of southern miss fun......both the good and bad was fun.....

it's no longer fun anymore....
01-17-2015 11:45 PM
redfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: all

The way the IRS looks at it, only money used toward tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment required for your courses is considered non-taxable.

Any grant or scholarship money used for other purposes (like housing, for example) is considered taxable and needs to be reported, as would a "stipend".
01-18-2015 02:40 AM
Theflash Online
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Only gonna get worse. What's next?
01-18-2015 08:10 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(01-18-2015 08:10 AM)Theflash Wrote:  Only gonna get worse. What's next?

95+ Scholarships to deepen the rosters for a 8 team or 16 team playoff. With additional football games and plenty of money the cartel will look to crush the G5 with more scholarships. They will take those fringe 3 star players to develop and use on the practice squads. They might even look to change the transfer rules making it easier for talented football players that emerge in the G5 to transfer to P5 schools. I also imagine they will tweak acceptance exceptions to the point of being able to take kids with the IQ of a tree stump.

Like the Southern Miss poster said, I am just glad I was able to watch ECU Football the past 25yrs especially during the Independent years. Not sure what the future holds for those of us left behind in the G5 but hopefully we do not spiral into a FCS/JUCO level of play.
01-18-2015 08:47 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
The point of all of this, in my view, is that there WILL be more. The question for the "rest of us" then is how far do we chase?

I've consistently read that most of the G5 schools will pay this first round of increases, but how far can that chasing go before we run out of resources and are forced to make poor choices just to keep up. Those poor choices could be dropping down, eliminating minor sports, or take the UAB approach.

Sources of additional funds for many G5 members are limited. Either larger TV contracts (which may occur but won't likely allow us to keep up with the Joneses), higher student fees (already some clamor about that and some of us don't have much more room to go to that pump), or diverting money from academics to athletics (not at all likely) are about the only sources of additional revenue.

The question becomes, how far to we chase the big boys, when we know we can't keep up indefinitely. I hope someone is sitting down among the G5 conferences and trying to figure out how we best survive, and even thrive, in this new world.

If a current G5 wants to chase, and has the resources to do it, more power to them. But I daresay 75% -80% of us don't.
01-18-2015 09:02 AM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Two evenly matched FCS teams playing each other, for the love of the game, not money, is still pretty fun. If ODU can't keep up and the G5 stay relatively even in terms of competition, it'll still be football on a beautiful fall afternoon. I say F the P5, let's go our own way. I love ODU and I love ODU football. 10,000 at a game or 50,000. I'll still be there.
01-18-2015 09:34 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
(01-17-2015 06:46 PM)leapinggazelle Wrote:  You only can blame yourself for lousy attendance and viewership in your confernece.

Says the Temple fan that got kicked out of the original Big East for poor attendance and a non-competitive nature. Also the same team that just a few years ago had a much better record than many fbs schools but got left out at bowl selection time because they have no fans. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
01-18-2015 09:37 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
This can and will be put to a screeching stop if/when the government steps up and says "no more tax-exempt" status for you guys. All you guys need to do is start writing your political reps to let your feelings be known. Otherwise, it will be business as usual.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 09:43 AM by MUHERD76.)
01-18-2015 09:41 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-18-2015 02:40 AM)redfan Wrote:  
(01-17-2015 05:14 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  

Any grant or scholarship money used for other purposes (like housing, for example) is considered taxable and needs to be reported, as would a "stipend".
This is way overblown. The players will have to pay for the tax, not the school. and players who can't work end up with 2 to 5k per year in income, and really will have 0 or very close to that owed to federal govt.

It likely is a $$$ loser for the Gov't, as doing the returns will cost more than the $$ coming in.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 09:53 AM by goodknightfl.)
01-18-2015 09:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.