Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

POWER 5 Conferences just voted to pay cost of attendance for scholarship [update]
Bookmark and Share
BigTigerMike Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
POWER 5 Conferences just voted to pay cost of attendance for scholarship [update]
The Power 5 conferences of the NCAA have agreed to a proposal to increase the cost of scholarships Saturday. In the proposal, which passed 79-1, the exact dollar amount is not known, but University of Texas athletes, for example, will get $4,500 to $5,000 per year, according to the Austin American-Statesman. The scholarship will now be able to cover transportation and miscellaneous expenses in addition to tuition, room and board and books.

Because tuition varies, so will the amount paid by each school

The proposal also guarantees scholarships cannot be reduced or canceled for athletic reasons. Athletes will also be allowed to borrow against future earnings and will have a new concussion management protocol.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson said "It appears we've got a commitment to ensure that the policy going forward reflects what we were seeking."

Univeristy of South Carolina president Harris Pastides told the USA Today prior to the meeting it would be "an active one, even historic."

"I think it's an opportunity to, if I may say, re-plant the flag and say that the NCAA is an organization of universities that know what they're doing and can come together even with diverse perspectives and do what's right for student-athletes," Pastides said.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 05:34 PM by BigTigerMike.)
01-17-2015 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
RE: POWER 5 Conferences just voted to pay full cost of attendance for scholarship
We have to follow suit.
01-17-2015 05:16 PM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
RE: POWER 5 Conferences just voted to pay full cost of attendance for scholarship
I'm curious as to how this is going to work and if they are doing this for all sports ... what about the soccer team, the women's rowing team, the tennis teams?

Obviously, football would be included, Title IX, would seem to indicate that the same deal would have to be offered to an equal number of female athletes ... right?

Admittedly, I'm no expert on this stuff. Anyone with some knowledge care to weigh in? Oh wait, I forgot where I am ... anyone want to pull something out of their a$$ and weigh in?
01-17-2015 05:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
RE: POWER 5 Conferences just voted to pay cost of attendance for scholarship [update]
(01-17-2015 05:01 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  The Power 5 conferences of the NCAA have agreed to a proposal to increase the cost of scholarships Saturday. In the proposal, which passed 79-1, the exact dollar amount is not known, but University of Texas athletes, for example, will get $4,500 to $5,000 per year, according to the Austin American-Statesman. The scholarship will now be able to cover transportation and miscellaneous expenses in addition to tuition, room and board and books.

The proposal also guarantees scholarships cannot be reduced or canceled for athletic reasons. Athletes will also be allowed to borrow against future earnings and will have a new concussion management protocol.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson said "It appears we've got a commitment to ensure that the policy going forward reflects what we were seeking."

Univeristy of South Carolina president Harris Pastides told the USA Today prior to the meeting it would be "an active one, even historic."

"I think it's an opportunity to, if I may say, re-plant the flag and say that the NCAA is an organization of universities that know what they're doing and can come together even with diverse perspectives and do what's right for student-athletes," Pastides said.

I wonder who made the ONE dissenting vote.
03-drunk
01-17-2015 05:46 PM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

RE: POWER 5 Conferences just voted to pay cost of attendance for scholarship [update]
Good thing we're joining the B12
01-17-2015 05:47 PM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(01-17-2015 05:24 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  I'm curious as to how this is going to work and if they are doing this for all sports ... what about the soccer team, the women's rowing team, the tennis teams?

Obviously, football would be included, Title IX, would seem to indicate that the same deal would have to be offered to an equal number of female athletes ... right?

Admittedly, I'm no expert on this stuff. Anyone with some knowledge care to weigh in? Oh wait, I forgot where I am ... anyone want to pull something out of their a$$ and weigh in?

I do believe the "full cost of attendance" absolutely MUST include all athletes in all sports participated in by a given university. To deny the same benefit the men's football and basketball teams get to the women's volleyball, soccer, and softball teams would be a major lawsuit.
01-17-2015 05:58 PM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(01-17-2015 05:58 PM)boss man Wrote:  
(01-17-2015 05:24 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  I'm curious as to how this is going to work and if they are doing this for all sports ... what about the soccer team, the women's rowing team, the tennis teams?

I do believe the "full cost of attendance" absolutely MUST include all athletes in all sports participated in by a given university. To deny the same benefit the men's football and basketball teams get to the women's volleyball, soccer, and softball teams would be a major lawsuit.

Major. Sweep Pedophile State University's sins under the rug if you want to but DO NOT f**k around with the money. Ever.
01-17-2015 06:16 PM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!

Well, as it stands now, it is my understanding that some sports only give partial scholarships. Here's a link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/8-things-you...olarships/

So, my guess is that this is not going to apply to the women's rowing team and the men's diving team.
01-17-2015 07:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
true_blue_thru_and_thru Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers
(01-17-2015 05:46 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  
(01-17-2015 05:01 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  The Power 5 conferences of the NCAA have agreed to a proposal to increase the cost of scholarships Saturday. In the proposal, which passed 79-1, the exact dollar amount is not known, but University of Texas athletes, for example, will get $4,500 to $5,000 per year, according to the Austin American-Statesman. The scholarship will now be able to cover transportation and miscellaneous expenses in addition to tuition, room and board and books.

The proposal also guarantees scholarships cannot be reduced or canceled for athletic reasons. Athletes will also be allowed to borrow against future earnings and will have a new concussion management protocol.o

03-drunk
BC, said they couldn't afford it.
01-17-2015 07:50 PM
tigers1125 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers
(01-17-2015 07:50 PM)true_blue_thru_and_thru Wrote:  

The proposal also guarantees scholarships cannot be reduced or canceled for athletic reasons. Athletes will also be allowed to borrow against future earnings and will have a new concussion management protocol.o

03-drunk

The vote was like 79-1. Does that mean American voted? Thought it was only 65 Chosen Five teams.
01-17-2015 07:59 PM
JRR_IV Offline
All American

(01-17-2015 07:59 PM)tigers1125 Wrote:  

03-drunk

The vote was like 79-1. Does that mean American voted? Thought it was only 65 Chosen Five teams.

65 + 15 student-athletes from P5 universities.
01-17-2015 08:13 PM
Advertisement

tigers1125 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers
(01-17-2015 08:13 PM)JRR_IV Wrote:  
(01-17-2015 07:59 PM)tigers1125 Wrote:  

03-drunk

65 + 15 student-athletes from P5 universities.

Figures.
01-17-2015 08:46 PM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
edging ever closer to taxible income for those athletes isnt it. the IRS is sitting and watching.
01-17-2015 08:48 PM
blue68 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Titans
P5 just eliminated competition for 5,4 and 3 star athletes.
01-17-2015 09:06 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Good for them
01-17-2015 09:44 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(01-17-2015 08:48 PM)tigerjeb Wrote:  edging ever closer to taxible income for those athletes isnt it. the IRS is sitting and watching.

I believe everything beyond tuition, fees, books, etc., is already taxable. This includes room and board. IRS Pub. 970.
01-17-2015 10:00 PM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(01-17-2015 06:16 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  

Major. Sweep Pedophile State University's sins under the rug if you want to but DO NOT f**k around with the money. Ever.

Will you give it a F'n rest already The NCAA was going to lose the lawsuit and lose big because nothing that went on was a violation of NCAA rules. It was a CRIMINAL ISSUE that should be handled in the criminal justice system and the NCAA had no business getting involved.
01-18-2015 01:13 AM
jason80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: M-Town
How does this effect the American? Can we follow suit or is this just another step towards the power five pulling away from the have nots. Anyone know if we can offer the same thing since we are not in one of the power five. I know TC is convinced we will b one soon bit I'm not so sure. Does this hurt us?
01-18-2015 03:01 AM
eastcoastDave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis, ODU
I fear this will make it harder for non-P5 schools to recruit top athletes. If you're a good left tackle, would you accept an offer from, say, U of Memphis and start right away or one from a P5 school and sit on the bench for 4 or 5 years. At the P5 school, you'd get paid, but at Memphis you might not. I think most kids would opt for the paycheck.
01-18-2015 07:01 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(01-17-2015 09:06 PM)blue68 Wrote:  P5 just eliminated competition for 5,4 and 3 star athletes.

Mid-to-Lower level P5 Football programs are loving this...as they can now legally tell all their recruits, many that they are fighting with some top G5 programs for and just 2 1/2 weeks before signing day, "we can officially offer you at least $5,000 per year".

Smart recruiting tool.

G5 schools can say "we will probably do that too" but there has been no vote for that and no doubt those P5 schools are telling all of their recruits on official visits this weekend plus those next weekend and/or others via phone calls, in home visits, etc..."If you come to our school, we can LEGALLY (some obviously will give more illegally), give you CA$H".

Timing is everything.
01-18-2015 08:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.