Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did UAB's president just say.....
Bookmark and Share
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Did UAB's president just say.....
he might have a change of heart about the FB program?

"In the coming months, I will await an independent review of the numbers and assumptions on which we based our athletic department decision to ensure they were accurate and reasonable.

I will work closely with our local officials and our donors -who have done so much for UAB - to determine if public and private dollars are available to fund a consistently competitive football program moving forward.

And I will listen closely to all of those who share my love for this university."

Watts
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 03:28 PM by MinerInWisconsin.)
01-16-2015 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jack Bauer Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
RE: Did UAB's president just say.....
Wow, i think he should have said. If the private donors can prop up a program and the uaT BOT are ok with thr results of the numbers.
01-16-2015 03:31 PM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
Every time I see this guy and every time I read his quotes I just want to cuss.
01-16-2015 03:58 PM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Common sense says you should have had an independent review of the report before making a decision that affected so many lives.
01-16-2015 03:59 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
Yes he did say that.

Do I believe him? LMFAO **** NO. 03-puke
01-16-2015 04:10 PM
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
I just want to cuss.
01-16-2015 04:14 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
It does quite simply amaze me that we have had multiple Presidents forced out in the past over tiny issues, but this guy is still in place even after every entity on campus have essentially voted no confidence in him. It's crazy that the Board of Trustees is still even allowed to exist.

People who disagree with this decision:

Faculty Senate
UAB NAS
Nursing Students
School of Medicine Students
Graduate SGA
Undergraduate SGA
Past Mr. and Mrs. UABs
Past Presidents
Past Student Affairs prof.
BHM City Council
City of Birmingham
City of Pelham
City of Gardendale
City of Trussville
City of Helena
City of Pinson
City of Hoover
City of Jasper
City of Moody
City of Irondale
City of Vestavia
City of Clay (next week)
City of Locust Fork (next week)
and many more cities to come

I honestly think within 1 year there will be a lot of information coming out. There will end up being someone speaking to a lawyer and going public. People have been paid millions annually to not speak, but we can't field a football team? It's going to end up being a lot bigger story than it is right now I believe.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 04:56 PM by Shrack.)
01-16-2015 04:53 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
One would have to have a heart before it could be changed.

Ray Watts must go, preferably notified via text message just like the women's athletes.
01-16-2015 04:59 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
While he said it, actions speak louder & his actions as well as BOT indicate otherwise plus those words were meant more to ward off SACS violations for UAB & UA BOT (both universities are up for certification from SACS) & the "shared governance" problem his actions created. The words are meaningless & only meant as a smokescreen for the masses to think things have changed.
01-16-2015 05:00 PM
Advertisement

blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Just to give you an example - my brother deals in commercial real estate & for properties of from six figures to low seven figures his analysis reports are 50-100 pages long yet the Carr report was 9 pages for $49mil+ not to mention my brother isn't the only one deciding the future of said property several people are involved - how many were involved in UAB? According to Watts - only him????
01-16-2015 05:08 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

http://www.uab.edu/usga/images/2014-2015...9-2014.pdf

"On April 10th, the scope of CarrSports' work shifted from performing assistance on strategic planning for UAB Athletics to providing a pair of pro formas: one showing UAB Athletics with football and one showing UAB Athletics without football," minutes from the finance committee say. "Upon inquiry, Konzem acknowledged that the pro formas were 'substantially complete' in late April, with the pro formas being done and discussed in a telephone conversation in May (Konzem's sense was the phone call occurred around Memorial Day weekend)."

"Concerns were raised regarding the impacts to recruitment and retention of students, development (capital campaign), and general student experience; specifically, were these factored into the analysis?" committee notes from the meeting state. "Konzem stated that these factors were not within the scope of the CarrSports agreement and were not considered in the analysis.”

I think this last paragraph is why the above committee was shut down and the new one was created because they don't want people snooping or trying to get Mackin to talk. The new committee was made to divert attention away from the real problem:

"At the close of the meeting, the general consensus of the group was that the next meeting should examine the assumptions used to generate the pro formas and that drove the decision to eliminate specific athletic programs. The observation was made that Former Athletic Director and current UAB employee Brian Mackin should be in attendance at the next meeting, as his input was deemed critical to the decision process and would be invaluable to the task force’s efforts. There was general agreement that this was an appropriate course of action. Concern was expressed that it might be difficult for Mackin to attend. No reason was given for why there might be difficulties in obtaining Mackin’s participation. The task force agreed that the next meeting should occur as soon as possible after the first week of class. Bolton’s office was to coordinate."

If Mackin speaks, this whole thing blows up. That will probably never happen though.
01-16-2015 05:33 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
all of 'this' just literally made me gag and vomit......

FUCKKKKK bammers.....

that shite is beyond wrong......

edit: ban me again for this sentiment.....
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 05:49 PM by stinkfist.)
01-16-2015 05:46 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
It is just so difficult to believe that an educated and experienced person could react to a single report without independent confirmation, under any circumstances.
Therefore, in fact, I don't believe that to be the case. I believe that the entire process was carefully calculated from the start.

Additionally, with all due respect to Carr; anyone who has read a number of their "reports", knows that they are short on empirical data, and long on flowery language.
Below is an example; this recommendation from the JMU Carr Report on how to maintain Title IX compliance.

Quote:JMU and Athletics should continue to be proactive in maintaining compliance with Title IX. This goal can be achieved through Athletics' commitment to annual external assessments and transparency of policies and procedures.
http://www.slideshare.net/YippeeWK/james...ortsreport

That sounds impressive at first glance, but a closer look shows it to be just some vague generalizations completely lacking in any real substance. It is essentially babble.

It appears to me that a Carr report is more or less a tool used by those who commission CarrSports to validate an existing conclusion and thus provide external "evidence" to support an already determined course of action.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 12:02 AM by ODUalum78.)
01-16-2015 07:02 PM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
(01-16-2015 07:02 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
Quote:JMU and Athletics should continue to be proactive in maintaining compliance with Title IX. This goal can be achieved through Athletics' commitment to annual external assessments* and transparency of policies and procedures.
http://www.slideshare.net/YippeeWK/james...ortsreport

*like those conducted by Carr Sports, for instance

I forget what it was, but recently I read some study that referred to its "empirical data collection and proprietary methods of analysis" or some such b.s. My immediate thought was that calling something "proprietary methods of analysis" was just a fancy way of saying "We made that sh__ up and you can't ask us about it."
01-16-2015 11:00 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-16-2015 03:59 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Common sense says you should have had an independent review of the report before making a decision that affected so many lives.

True -- If you assume the decision-maker was acting in good-faith. Such an assumption is not -- to put it as mildly as possible -- quite justified in this instance.
01-17-2015 12:23 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Ray L. Watts, MD

Asks for second opinion AFTER pulling the plug.
01-17-2015 10:08 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-17-2015 10:08 AM)Smaug Wrote:  Ray L. Watts, MD

Asks for second opinion AFTER pulling the plug.

That is a 3rd degree bbbbuurrrnnn.
01-17-2015 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.