Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wave of the future? UConn looks to new tv deal (women's basketball)
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Wave of the future? UConn looks to new tv deal (women's basketball)
Looks like Uconn will be looking to cash in on its women's basketball TV revenue.

Before you laugh, women's hoops will earn as much for Uconn as each AAC school will receive from the AAC.

"UConn's current TV deal -- a four-year contract worth about $4.5 million that expires next year -- was initially brokered by SNY. The terms were later picked up by ESPN when the Huskies joined the American Athletic Conference, which controls the broadcast rights of its members."

The UConn women's basketball franchise -- and, really, that's what it is to TV executives -- will only get more valuable. There is no better long-term bet in women's college basketball.

"We're at the front end of the idea," said Burton, the David B. Falk Distinguished Professor of Sport Management at Syracuse University's Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. "But UConn has been a constant."

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Bria...016582.php

Uconn use to receive $1.2 million a year for its third tier women's bb rights, but then it had to give this money to the AAC. Going forward, Uconn will most likely see a substantial revenue jump. It's game ratings have been off the chart. I'm sure that just like Navy Gert's to keep its Army/Navy game revenue, Uconn will likewise get to keep its wbb revenue.

$2 million a year plus the $4.5 million year for exit fees at least will provide a short term energy boost versus the P5.
01-16-2015 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Wave of the future? UConn looks to new tv deal (women's basketball)
How does UConn get those monies?
01-16-2015 02:42 PM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
oh good its BE4eva again
01-16-2015 03:01 PM
HartfordHusky Online
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
I had a lot of questions when I read this the other day. It sounds like UConn might still be getting paid for its womens hoops contract with SNY, which most of us thought had been voided by the AAC TV deal. If we are still getting paid and if we do have leeway to once again sign this type of contract, it is certainly great news for UConn. I just don't know though. I don't know if this writer knows what he is talking about.

Either way, UConn wbb is valuable and UConn should be able to cash in on that. The AAC should not prevent that.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 04:49 PM by HartfordHusky.)
01-16-2015 04:45 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
If that is true then other writers have been wrong, correct? I could have sworn I read other articles from UConn beat writers essentially saying they got screwed in TV money because of the women's contract.
01-20-2015 10:47 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(01-20-2015 10:47 AM)mlb Wrote:  If that is true then other writers have been wrong, correct? I could have sworn I read other articles from UConn beat writers essentially saying they got screwed in TV money because of the women's contract.

Who knows.

Here's something from March 2013 that basically also says who knows

"The women’s deal is a bit trickier. The women’s basketball rights are now held by ESPN, which controls the entire conferences athletics now. The league will have up to 60 games aired on a family of network next year, and where does SNY get its inventory? The school and SNY have a contract that pays about $1.1 million over 4 years signed last spring. The women’s program delivered big ratings in Connecticut. How many games does SNY get for UConn women, how many does ESPN get?

These are things that have to be worked out. UConn women are such a unique property and is different than the other teams in the conference. All of the parties involved understand that dynamic.

“We know there is great and unique interest in the UConn women’s basketball package on SNY,” commissioner Mike Aresco said. “We will be working hard to give UConn fans the same access to their women’s games as we move forward.”

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/how-t...cts-uconn/
01-20-2015 11:30 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Who is going to want to watch a bunch of long legged women, in shorts run up and down the court.
01-20-2015 12:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.