Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Update: NCAA sends Notice of Allegations to SMU
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Update: NCAA sends Notice of Allegations to SMU
Keith Frazier, the local 5 star player from Dallas, who was shown shouldn't of been eligible for admission to SMU because of he shouldn't have been given a college degree....was recruited by SMU Asst Coach Ulric Maligi, who was intimiately involved in the Frazier scandal.

3 days ago, Maligi was put on personal leave (he was not on the team bench when SMU played at UCF on Sunday).

Today, SMU announced Frazier is academic ineligible to play.

Coincidence?

I think not.

For those that weren't on this board during the Frazier recruiting/academic scandal, here's some background info on it and how Maligi was involved.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/inv.../14162422/

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education...hanged.ece
--------------------------------------

Latest update from ESPN:

NCAA sends SMU Notice of Allegations involving Larry Brown's team
http://espn.go.com/dallas/mens-college-b...roprieties
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 04:40 PM by KnightLight.)
01-16-2015 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zfred12 Offline
1st String

RE: SMU Hoop Scandal? Asst Coach who recruited Frazier out. Now Frazier ruled ineligible
I would have thought after all this time and what SMU has been through they would learn how to cover this stuff up better.
01-16-2015 09:35 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

RE: SMU Hoop Scandal? Asst Coach who recruited Frazier out. Now Frazier ruled ineligible
(01-16-2015 09:35 AM)zfred12 Wrote:  I would have thought after all this time and what SMU has been through they would learn how to cover this stuff up better.

I think both Frazier and SMU's (Larry Brown's) initial cover-up thought was that Frazier would have only had to go to class for one Semester (Fall 2013) and then would have jumped to the NBA for the 2014 draft...and that no one could have discovered this fraud from the beginning.

But the longer Frazier was enrolled/playing at SMU...it exposed SMU's role (especially SMU Coach Maligi's role) and what a farce it was from the very beginning for an Univ with a pretty good academic reputation would have enrolled someone who couldn't legally graduate HS.

SMU's higher ups, from former AD Orisini who hired Brown to SMU's Administration...they just told Brown to win...no matter what...and this is what happens when you try to win at all cost (and quickly).
01-16-2015 09:43 AM
Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
the amount of speculation in this thread is pure awesomeness
01-16-2015 09:57 AM
zfred12 Offline
1st String

If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin
01-16-2015 09:59 AM
Pony94 Online

I have been biting my tongue for a few weeks about this now. SMU fans have known about this for months and I have shared with a few fans on this board about how we are going to be raked through the coals in the press. This is much bigger than SMU and other schools and players will be outed.
01-16-2015 10:02 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

(01-16-2015 10:02 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  I have been biting my tongue for a few weeks about this now. SMU fans have known about this for months and I have shared with a few fans on this board about how we are going to be raked through the coals in the press. This is much bigger than SMU and other schools and players will be outed.

The worst part of this scandal is that Larry Brown's actions by his staff has totally embarrassed SMU's academic reputation (which had been very good).

Maybe not on the same fraudulent scale as UNC (even if other SMU players are outed), the fraud that schools go thru to first admit unqualified students for enrollment...and then (like at UNC and others) the lack of any academic oversight once they are enrolled, should tick off EVERY student who worked hard to qualify out of HS, let alone graduate from college.

Maybe this turns out to be Larry Brown's last year at SMU...but not sure this is the way he wanted to go out (in a recruiting/academic scandal)...but honestly, I don't think he cares about his reputation...considering all the previous places he has been fired from.
01-16-2015 10:08 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Basketball in college is a very dirty sport. Be very careful when throwing stones.
01-16-2015 10:25 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

Tweet from Jeff Goodman at ESPN: (looks like he is putting 2 & 2 together)

@GoodmanESPN's Frazier report part of mushroom cloud situation at SMU. Assistant who recruited him put on leave. NCAA on case, per source.
01-16-2015 10:28 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(01-16-2015 10:25 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Basketball in college is a very dirty sport. Be very careful when throwing stones.

Truest statement in the thread. Most schools are a snitch away from crashing in scandal.
01-16-2015 10:30 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(01-16-2015 10:02 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  I have been biting my tongue for a few weeks about this now. SMU fans have known about this for months and I have shared with a few fans on this board about how we are going to be raked through the coals in the press. This is much bigger than SMU and other schools and players will be outed.

World Wide Wes has been so good at staying out of trouble with the NCAA. If he gets exposed for this, other programs will be impacted as well.
01-16-2015 10:30 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

Frazier is the 3rd star recruit/player for SMU to be ruled academically ineligible in the last 8 months.

Last summer, 5-star recruit Emmanuel Mudiay was deemed academically ineligible for admission to SMU (ended up going to play pro ball in China, got injured recently).

In August, Giant SMU Player Markus Kennedy was declared academically ineligible for the Fall 2014 semester (came back on the team in Mid-Dec when the Fall semester was over).

And now obviously Frazier.
01-16-2015 10:34 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
this is why smu can't have nice things
01-16-2015 10:37 AM
MemphisTigerFreak Offline
Fear God, Not Man

I Root For: Memphis
(01-16-2015 10:30 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

World Wide Wes has been so good at staying out of trouble with the NCAA. If he gets exposed for this, other programs will be impacted as well.

I dunno, he and Cal have been in bed with the NCAA so long they practically run the show.
01-16-2015 10:43 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(01-16-2015 10:25 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Basketball in college is a very dirty sport. Be very careful when throwing stones.

Its a news story for now (i.e. player and coach let go).

Good news/bad news topics are discussed all the time...(which is actually one of the main reason for conf message boards).
01-16-2015 10:46 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-16-2015 10:46 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Good news/bad news topics are discussed all the time...(which is actually one of the main reason for conf message boards).

Fine with me. Just remember that when its UCFs turn
01-16-2015 10:48 AM
Advertisement

MemphisTigerFreak Offline
Fear God, Not Man

I Root For: Memphis
(01-16-2015 10:48 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(01-16-2015 10:46 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Fine with me. Just remember that when its UCFs turn

I heard O'Leary is as clean as they come. He doesn't even fib...
01-16-2015 10:52 AM
Pony94 Online

SMU is doing everything in their power to bring the coach back but Keith is gone for good.
01-16-2015 10:52 AM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(01-16-2015 10:34 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  Last summer, 5-star recruit Emmanuel Mudiay was deemed academically ineligible for admission to SMU (ended up going to play pro ball in China, got injured recently).

That's not how I remember it

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca.../12634877/
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 10:56 AM by DowdyPirate.)
01-16-2015 10:55 AM
Pony94 Online

Let's just say we are very glad Mudiay did not play for us.
01-16-2015 11:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.