Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

65 Universities Begin Era Of Autonomy
Bookmark and Share
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
65 Universities Begin Era Of Autonomy
Sixty-Five Universities of the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC and Student-Athlete Representatives to Begin Era of Autonomy

Goal is to Protect and Improve College Experience for Student-Athletes

A group of 80 voting members from the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC will meet formally in two meetings on Saturday, Jan. 17, at the NCAA Convention to begin a new era of autonomy aimed at protecting and improving the college experience for student-athletes.

This is the first autonomy meeting and it follows a decision by the NCAA Division I Board of Directors to grant self-governing prerogatives to the member institutions of these five conferences.

The sessions include representatives from each of the 65 member institutions of the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC conferences and 15 student-athlete representatives discussing and voting on a series of proposals designed to improve the student-athlete experience on campus.

The autonomy session agenda features eight proposals and one resolution aimed at creating the optimal student-athlete experience in a fully integrated collegiate model in which athletics and academics are appropriately balanced. The proposals focus on the issues of cost of attendance, loss-of-value insurance, scholarship renewal, and concussion safety.

The commissioners of the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC commented on the significance of the sessions: “This week represents a new chapter in our focus to help student-athletes learn, grow, and succeed. College sports are an American tradition, and we intend to provide these student-athletes with an enhanced level of support.”
01-15-2015 07:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: 65 Universities Begin Era Of Autonomy
Apparently the other conferences invites were lost in the mail.
01-15-2015 08:39 PM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I'm wondering where all this is going to end up? Is it going to kill the smaller conferences? I think one thing that may help protect them is maybe cutting the number of scholarships that the bullies, oops I mean bigger conferences are aloud?
01-15-2015 09:18 PM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Urban Meyer and I'm guessing others, are now pushing for 105 scholarships, due to the playoff system. The mid-majors are better off separating themselves from the power 5 completely and having their own playoffs.
01-15-2015 10:56 PM
Advertisement

FrickerRon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
(01-15-2015 10:56 PM)falconplucker Wrote:  Urban Meyer and I'm guessing others, are now pushing for 105 scholarships, due to the playoff system. The mid-majors are better off separating themselves from the power 5 completely and having their own playoffs.

Good idea.
01-16-2015 03:20 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Well, now that the institutions are autonomous it would seem that state funding could be cut off. No reason they shouldn't be able to make it on their own now.
01-16-2015 04:18 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Quote:..a fully integrated collegiate model in which athletics and academics are appropriately balanced.

And who defines "appropriate"?
01-16-2015 04:19 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(01-16-2015 04:19 PM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  
Quote:..a fully integrated collegiate model in which athletics and academics are appropriately balanced.

And who defines "appropriate"?

Cardale Jones "Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL. We ain't come to play SCHOOL. Classes are POINTLESS."
01-16-2015 05:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.