Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tulane Leaving the SEC and the Southern Ivy / Magnolia Conference Concept
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
Tulane Leaving the SEC and the Southern Ivy / Magnolia Conference Concept
One thing I've always wondered about was why did Tulane leave the SEC in 1966 without a better landing spot. They went indy because they felt the academic standards were lower at SEC schools.

Of course, the hope of Tulane was to form a Southern Ivy athletic conference (Magnolia Conference) with the likes of Duke, Vandy, SMU, and Rice.

Is there more to the story, do I have that about right? In retrospect, would Tulane fans have preferred to stay in the SEC?
01-15-2015 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
RE: Tulane Leaving the SEC and the Southern Ivy / Magnolia Conference Concept
Dumb decision, even without knowing how much money will be on the line 50 years later. Vandy stayed, so should have Tulane. Now chances of Tulane getting into a P5 conference are slim to none.
01-15-2015 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
It will never happen, but I've always loved the concept of a Southern Ivy League consisting of all private schools. However, I'm partial to the name Kudzu League.

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
01-15-2015 12:24 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Magnolia Conference[edit]
The effort to create a Southern athletic conference originated during the 1950s. Harvie Branscomb, then-chancellor at Vanderbilt University, originally attempted to establish a rivalry between Vanderbilt and traditional Ivy League schools to foster relationships with academically-oriented schools. The school followed through on this effort and played a game against Yale in October 1948. However, after the Vanderbilt Commodores shut out the Yale Bulldogs, 35-0, Yale said they no longer wanted to play Vanderbilt. This caused Branscomb to call a meeting with the presidents of other Southern private universities in the late 1950s — Southern Methodist University (SMU), Rice University, Duke University, and Tulane University — where Branscomb suggested they try to establish a new sports conference where small, academically inclined private schools could compete.[1]

In the early 1960s, the idea for the "Magnolia Conference" gained popularity. In 1963, Tulane was frustrated by its enabling competition notwithstanding within the Southeastern Conference schools since many of the schools had lower academic expectations for football and they considered withdrawing from the SEC to compete with schools with similar aims.[2] According to the Rice Thresher, the era was a time when "the academic disparity between show-me-the-money schools and the schools less inclined to compromise academics was just beginning to become more evident."[citation needed] The "Magnolia Conference" had the vision to "maintain high-end Division I budgets and schedules, while avoiding some of the crasser extremes of the big business of college sports". However, the "Southern Ivy League" never got off the ground. Duke did not want to give up its rivalry with the University of North Carolina, and SMU and Rice were not willing to give up their share of the Cotton Bowl Classic income.[1]
01-15-2015 12:29 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
it was before the "special circumstances" clause and athletes had to actually have the ability to read and do more than 5th grade math.gatech left for the same reason.

all schools with take anyone that meets ncaa minimums. dont let them fool you.
01-15-2015 12:36 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(01-15-2015 12:24 PM)3601 Wrote:  It will never happen, but I've always loved the concept of a Southern Ivy League consisting of all private schools. However, I'm partial to the name Kudzu League.

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

Don't forget Tulsa.
01-15-2015 01:18 PM
Advertisement

NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(01-15-2015 12:24 PM)3601 Wrote:  It will never happen, but I've always loved the concept of a Southern Ivy League consisting of all private schools. However, I'm partial to the name Kudzu League.

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee
01-15-2015 01:26 PM
Special Teams

(01-15-2015 01:26 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

How about that school in Tennessee...Sewanee. Aren't they also considered "Southern Ivy"?
01-15-2015 01:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rollgreenwave Offline
Special Teams

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

William and Mary is public, but it would still fit the mold in my opinion.

Tulane left in a time when it wasn't crazy to be independent. There were lots of independents then, and we actually did pretty well for a while scheduling big names and putting together some wins for a few seasons. Obviously college athletics has changed drastically since those days to a place no one anticipated back then, but there were plenty of people at Tulane shouting from the rooftops then that it was a bad idea - same with moving to the Superdome. They were both controversial around Tulane.

This is all old news rehashed way too many times for Tulane fans, but if you don't know: in the 50s there was a formal push-back by the administration to de-emphasize athletics because it was becoming too big at the expense of academics, and schools were recruiting anyone who could play football regardless of classroom work. Schools were taking on far more players than necessary just to keep other schools from having talent, and Tulane decided it wanted out of that system.

In retrospect nearly everyone agrees they should have stayed and worked to change the system rather than stop playing that game, as it were. This "de-emphasis" ended though years later (people debate when and how fully), and Tulane stopped formally hindering itself from performing on the field. Honestly since then it's only been post-Katrina that the university has gone all-in on athletic success and created rather than cut new programs to support student-athletes.

Scott Cowen - as much as a lot of our fans still hate him - was the first president we've had in decades who actually acknowledged the positives a successful athletics program can have for the rest of the university. Over the past few years we've spent over $150 million on athletic facilities, begun to admit students at NCAA minimum rather than a "Tulane minimum," and put in place a stronger support system for those students to succeed in all aspects.
01-15-2015 01:48 PM
rollgreenwave Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2015 01:38 PM)Danger in Carolina Wrote:  

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

How about that school in Tennessee...Sewanee. Aren't they also considered "Southern Ivy"?

Yes, but they left major collegiate athletics very early on and are Div III (probably why they left them out)
01-15-2015 01:49 PM
Special Teams

(01-15-2015 01:48 PM)rollgreenwave Wrote:  

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

William and Mary is public, but it would still fit the mold in my opinion.

Tulane left in a time when it wasn't crazy to be independent. There were lots of independents then, and we actually did pretty well for a while scheduling big names and putting together some wins for a few seasons. Obviously college athletics has changed drastically since those days to a place no one anticipated back then, but there were plenty of people at Tulane shouting from the rooftops then that it was a bad idea - same with moving to the Superdome. They were both controversial around Tulane.

This is all old news rehashed way too many times for Tulane fans, but if you don't know: in the 50s there was a formal push-back by the administration to de-emphasize athletics because it was becoming too big at the expense of academics, and schools were recruiting anyone who could play football regardless of classroom work. Schools were taking on far more players than necessary just to keep other schools from having talent, and Tulane decided it wanted out of that system.

In retrospect nearly everyone agrees they should have stayed and worked to change the system rather than stop playing that game, as it were. This "de-emphasis" ended though years later (people debate when and how fully), and Tulane stopped formally hindering itself from performing on the field. Honestly since then it's only been post-Katrina that the university has gone all-in on athletic success and created rather than cut new programs to support student-athletes.

Scott Cowen - as much as a lot of our fans still hate him - was the first president we've had in decades who actually acknowledged the positives a successful athletics program can have for the rest of the university. Over the past few years we've spent over $150 million on athletic facilities, begun to admit students at NCAA minimum rather than a "Tulane minimum," and put in place a stronger support system for those students to succeed in all aspects.

Interesting. Did not know the details. Thanks for sharing.
01-15-2015 02:00 PM
Advertisement

Savacool Offline
1st String

I always thought Tulane should have reviewed line by line all documents between Tulane and the SEC where it agreed to leave the SEC and see if it can find any defects in the documents that would nullify its removal. Vandy was exceptionally smart to remain in the SEC. How many millions of dollars distributed to each SEC team yearly?
01-15-2015 03:18 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(01-15-2015 01:49 PM)rollgreenwave Wrote:  

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

Yes, but they left major collegiate athletics very early on and are Div III (probably why they left them out)

They did have one team that was national championship worthy & they were in the SEC once as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_Sewane...tball_team

This included a six-day period from November 9 to 14 of 1899 which is widely regarded as the greatest road trip in college football history. Known as the "Iron Men," with just 13 men they had a six-day road trip with five shutout wins over Texas A&M; Texas; Tulane; LSU; and Ole Miss. It is recalled memorably with the phrase "...and on the seventh day they rested."

The victory over John Heisman's Auburn club is the only game that they allowed any points all season (10).

Former Penn State coach Joe Paterno once said "While there are some who would swear to the contrary, I did not see the 1899 Sewanee football team play in person. Winning five road games in six days, all by shutout scores, has to be one of the most staggering achievements in the history of the sport."
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2015 03:24 PM by Indiana Bones.)
01-15-2015 03:23 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

Re: RE: Tulane Leaving the SEC and the Southern Ivy / Magnolia Conference Concept

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

University of the South.l

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
01-15-2015 03:55 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(01-15-2015 12:36 PM)shere khan Wrote:  it was before the "special circumstances" clause and athletes had to actually have the ability to read and do more than 5th grade math.gatech left for the same reason.

all schools with take anyone that meets ncaa minimums. dont let them fool you.

Georgia Tech would have stayed if Bear Bryant voted like he promised on the "grayshirt" issue and if the Bear suspended the cheap shot Bama player.
01-15-2015 03:57 PM
Special Teams

(01-15-2015 03:23 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

They did have one team that was national championship worthy & they were in the SEC once as well.

This included a six-day period from November 9 to 14 of 1899 which is widely regarded as the greatest road trip in college football history. Known as the "Iron Men," with just 13 men they had a six-day road trip with five shutout wins over Texas A&M; Texas; Tulane; LSU; and Ole Miss. It is recalled memorably with the phrase "...and on the seventh day they rested."

The victory over John Heisman's Auburn club is the only game that they allowed any points all season (10).

Former Penn State coach Joe Paterno once said "While there are some who would swear to the contrary, I did not see the 1899 Sewanee football team play in person. Winning five road games in six days, all by shutout scores, has to be one of the most staggering achievements in the history of the sport."

Great find. Until I change my mind...this is now my all-time greatest football team :-)
01-15-2015 04:30 PM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-15-2015 04:30 PM)Danger in Carolina Wrote:  
(01-15-2015 03:23 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  
(01-15-2015 01:26 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  William and Mary
Washington and Lee

Great find. Until I change my mind...this is now my all-time greatest football team :-)

It's crazy to think that they've got a larger endowment than 3 of our current institutions...and they only have 1300 students!?
01-15-2015 04:59 PM
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers

Baylor
Duke
Rice
SMU
TCU
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
William and Mary
Washington and Lee

Miami and Emory probably would have been excellent fits (if Emory had kept playing)
01-16-2015 09:26 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Poor Cumberland gets no respect! ;-)
01-16-2015 09:32 PM
Savacool Offline
1st String

Love Sewanee. They led the SEC at one time. What a great academic school!
01-17-2015 02:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.