Open TigerLinks

Nobody Wanted 'the Job'
Bookmark and Share
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
Nobody Wanted 'the Job'
When X took off for KY Jelly RC loudly proclaimed he would make a WOW hire.

Then he fell on his face.

Nobody on his list and in fact extended list would accept the offer.

What did this mean? Does this mean that NOBODY wanted to coach men's basketball at Memphis? Period? (As a certain few posters are asserting.)

No, what it means is that all of the established coaches that RC talked to (however many or FEW that was) did not end up accepting the position.

Ok, Why?

Was it because we have no fan support? Nope.
Was it because our facilities suck? Nope.
Was it because we have no tradition and nobody's ever won here? Nope.
Was it because we don't pay our BB coaches squat? Nope.

IT WAS BECAUSE NO ESTABLISHED COACH WANTED TO COMMIT CAREER SUICIDE AND FOLLOW THE HISTORICALLY SUCCESSFUL RUN BY X POSSIBLY COUPLED WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR NCAA SANCTIONS LOOMING. THAT'S THE REASON WHY AND IT'S THE ONLY REASON WHY.

IT'S NOT BECAUSE WE HAVE A TERRIBLE PROGRAM THAT HAS BEEN A COACHING GRAVEYARD....

The "Nobody would take the job so we better just stick with what we have because we won't ever be able to get a good coach here" argument fails miserably because RC didn't talk to EVERY VIABLE CANDIDATE. He fumbled through the hiring process plain and simple.

He didn't talk to every single up and coming low, mid, and high major head coach, assistant head coach, 1st assistant, and 2nd assistant before panicking, throwing in the towel, and tossing the job to Pastner (who was our then current third or fourth assistant / recruiting coordinator).

The bottom line is this: We have a VERY desirable men's basketball program in place that has the support, the facilities, the tradition, pays the salaries, and has the local recruiting base to be an ELITE PROGRAM if we have the right mastermind in place.

So please stop it with the NOBODY GOOD WILL TAKE THE JOB WE'RE GONNA END UP WITH A DRUNKEN, CHILD MOLESTING LOSER AS OUR NEXT HEAD COACH IF WE DON'T KEEP JOSH rhetoric. It's just not true.

Who knows who may or may not be interested in the position when it opens up? This time around the same process that brought in Coach Fuente will be used and that's worked out pretty well. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but I like our chances.

Can Pastner salvage this season? I don't know, we'll see. I hope he does because that's the easiest, best thing that could happen for Tiger basketball.

Even if he doesn't does he get another year? I don't know, we'll see.
01-14-2015 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
RE: Nobody Wanted 'the Job'
We can also credit the buffoon of an AD as part of that too.
01-14-2015 10:26 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(01-14-2015 10:24 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  When X took off for KY Jelly RC loudly proclaimed he would make a WOW hire.

What did this mean? Does this mean that NOBODY wanted to coach men's basketball at Memphis? Period? (As a certain few posters are asserting.)

No, what it means is that all of the established coaches that RC talked to (however many or FEW that was) did not end up accepting the position.

Ok, Why?

IT WAS BECAUSE NO ESTABLISHED COACH WANTED TO COMMIT CAREER SUICIDE AND FOLLOW THE HISTORICALLY SUCCESSFUL RUN BY X POSSIBLY COUPLED WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR NCAA SANCTIONS LOOMING. THAT'S THE REASON WHY AND IT'S THE ONLY REASON WHY.

IT'S NOT BECAUSE WE HAVE A TERRIBLE PROGRAM THAT HAS BEEN A COACHING GRAVEYARD....

The "Nobody would take the job so we better just stick with what we have because we won't ever be able to get a good coach here" argument fails miserably because RC didn't talk to EVERY VIABLE CANDIDATE. He fumbled through the hiring process plain and simple.

He didn't talk to every single up and coming low, mid, and high major head coach, assistant head coach, 1st assistant, and 2nd assistant before panicking, throwing in the towel, and tossing the job to Pastner (who was our then current third or fourth assistant / recruiting coordinator).

The bottom line is this: We have a VERY desirable men's basketball program in place that has the support, the facilities, the tradition, pays the salaries, and has the local recruiting base to be an ELITE PROGRAM if we have the right mastermind in place.

So please stop it with the NOBODY GOOD WILL TAKE THE JOB WE'RE GONNA END UP WITH A DRUNKEN, CHILD MOLESTING LOSER AS OUR NEXT HEAD COACH IF WE DON'T KEEP JOSH rhetoric. It's just not true.

Who knows who may or may not be interested in the position when it opens up? This time around the same process that brought in Coach Fuente will be used and that's worked out pretty well. Obviously nothing is guaranteed but I like our chances.

Can Pastner salvage this season? I don't know, we'll see. I hope he does because that's the easiest, best thing that could happen for Tiger basketball.

All one giant lie.

Scott Drew would have taken the job.

Enough of this.
01-14-2015 10:31 AM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Similar jobs and similar money without being under a microscope.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 10:33 AM by midtowncowboy.)
01-14-2015 10:32 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/former-vu...2b4d4.html

"Memphis would no doubt offer a strong compensation package to land Drew, or any other coach for that matter. The Tigers play their home games in an NBA arena and have a $3.2 million practice facility.

"Judging objectively, I think Memphis is a lot better than Baylor," Calkins said. "It's a history of success that goes four decades deep. You are essentially the mayor of the city, almost like being the head of an NBA team. You're a rockstar."

The Commercial Appeal reported on Thursday night that a source close to Scott Drew stated that the 39-year-old coach was interested in the job, but it's unclear as to who the source was and what their relationship with Drew or Memphis consists of."
01-14-2015 10:33 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(01-14-2015 10:31 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(01-14-2015 10:24 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  When X took off for KY Jelly RC loudly proclaimed he would make a WOW hire.

Ok, Why?

All one giant lie.

Enough of this.

Can you verify this? What is your source?
01-14-2015 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Where is the source that nobody wanted it?

Crazy
01-14-2015 10:44 AM
tigersroll Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I, too, am sick of the same ole "who are you gonna get" that some conveniently use.
01-14-2015 10:45 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2015 10:33 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/former-vu...2b4d4.html

"Memphis would no doubt offer a strong compensation package to land Drew, or any other coach for that matter. The Tigers play their home games in an NBA arena and have a $3.2 million practice facility.

"Judging objectively, I think Memphis is a lot better than Baylor," Calkins said. "It's a history of success that goes four decades deep. You are essentially the mayor of the city, almost like being the head of an NBA team. You're a rockstar."

The Commercial Appeal reported on Thursday night that a source close to Scott Drew stated that the 39-year-old coach was interested in the job, but it's unclear as to who the source was and what their relationship with Drew or Memphis consists of."

That is pretty vague. Were their actual discussions with Drew and/or his agent? Of course, if this can even be verified....we had ONE CANDIDATE??
01-14-2015 10:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Ok, Why?

You left off that the entire recruiting class was gone except for one guy who was not one of the higher ranked recruits.
01-14-2015 10:47 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2015 10:44 AM)Easterwood Wrote:  Where is the source that nobody wanted it?

Crazy

Well it has been many years and I have not heard anyone admit that they wanted the job and were turned down. As a journalist, I am looking for something MEANINGFUL that can actually be verified, who...what...where...why...when and how. All we have are rumors and allegations. But one thing appears to be true....no one has admitted that they had discussions or even feelers from Memphis. If so, I have missed it and maybe someone can post it. But, a rumor that a mysterious someone close to Drew said Drew was interested is hardly reliable even if the CA prints it. After all, writers have been wrong on many ocassions....they even printed headlines that Dewey beat Truman and that Michael Brown had his hands up.
01-14-2015 10:57 AM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
(01-14-2015 10:44 AM)Easterwood Wrote:  Where is the source that nobody wanted it?

Crazy

Stammers and his merry followers.
01-14-2015 11:02 AM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
OP is pretty much the truth.

No one openly declared they wanted to follow Calipari.

We can speculate all week on how long and hard search committee chair Graf worked seeking an "acceptable" candidate.

Will Pastner be retained? Who knows? But when he leaves this job - whenever that occurs - it will not be such a Herculean effort to replace him.
01-14-2015 11:02 AM
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

Would any head coach who is currently employed publicly express an interest in another head coaching position? No one who values their current position would admit that to the media.
01-14-2015 11:05 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

Crazy

Who wanted it?
01-14-2015 11:07 AM
hartless Offline
All American

I Root For: TIGERS
(01-14-2015 10:43 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  

Ok, Why?

All one giant lie.

Enough of this.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/t...coach-hunt
01-14-2015 11:08 AM
Advertisement

Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I know of 6 coaches, 3 meet with RC and were underwhelmed to say the least.

The other 3 were never contacted.

Drew was interested but never offered
01-14-2015 11:09 AM
Pastnerized Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TIGERS
(01-14-2015 10:43 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  

Ok, Why?

All one giant lie.

Enough of this.

I didn't know this was any big secret. We could have had Pearl OR Drew.
RC would not give Pearl the time of day(imo-mistake).

Drew got tired of waiting for an RC phone call; AND was crucified by Calkins; so he removed his name from the list-he REALLY DID want the job.
I also heard of a couple others we should have considered, but can't remember who they were.
I don't really know who RC offered the job to that turned us down. But, it was neither Pearl nor Drew-unless you are being very strict about what you would call "turning us down". BOTH would have taken the job. But, RC's timing was awry and Drew learned he was being vilified in Memphis.

Rc th
01-14-2015 11:14 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-14-2015 11:09 AM)Easterwood Wrote:  I know of 6 coaches, 3 meet with RC and were underwhelmed to say the least.

[Image: chris-weidman-knockout-o.gif]
01-14-2015 11:15 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(01-14-2015 11:09 AM)Easterwood Wrote:  I know of 6 coaches, 3 meet with RC and were underwhelmed to say the least.

Still doesn't answer the question...
01-14-2015 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.