Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Overnight Cable TV Ratings for Colleg Football Championship
Bookmark and Share
Bearcat61 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Overnight Cable TV Ratings for Colleg Football Championship
The Buckeyes’ comfortable win ranks as the highest rated cable program ever in the metered markets, finishing well ahead of the previous record set by Auburn/Oregon in the 2011 BCS National Championship Game (16.1).

The 18.9 is also the highest for a college football national championship game since Florida/Ohio State on FOX in 2007 (19.1). Of the sixteen BCS title games (1999-2014), only Florida/Ohio State and USC/Texas in 2006 (22.7) earned a higher overnight than Monday’s game.

Together, the College Football Playoff semifinals and championship game account for three of the six highest overnights ever on cable. In the final tally, the three games will almost certainly rank #1, #2, and #3 on the all-time list.

In a demonstration of the NFL’s ratings power, Monday’s title game drew a lower overnight than three of the four NFL Divisional Round games — barely edging the Panthers/Seahawks snoozer on FOX (18.8). The game fared much better compared to other sports, however.

No NBA game has earned as large an overnight as Monday’s 18.9 since Bulls/Jazz Game 6 in 1998 (22.9), no baseball game has hit that mark since Red Sox/Cardinals Game 4 in 2004 (19.7), and no college basketball game has since at least 1997.

Columbus (OH) was the top market with a 51.2 rating, followed by nearby Dayton (43.8) and Cleveland (41.3). Portland ranked fourth with a 37.6, with Birmingham (36.1) rounding out the top five.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/category...ge-sports/

Buckeyes continue there strength in their normal havens, Columbus, Dayton & Cleveland but NOT Cincinnati.

01-13-2015 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BringDaRuckus Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Overnight Cable TV Ratings for Colleg Football Championship
The top 10 metered markets (in addition to those of the competing teams) are the following: Columbus, Dayton (43.8), Cleveland (41.3), Portland, Birmingham (36.1), Cincinnati (26.5), Jacksonville (25.7), Knoxville (25.5), Greenville (24.1) and Atlanta (23.0).

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releas...mpionship/

01-13-2015 12:34 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Michael DeCourcy ‏@tsnmike 2h2 hours ago

"@MikeHumesESPN 72% houses watching TV in Columbus had on CFP game; 62% Dayton, Cleveland 57% & Cincy 41%" Anyone still wanna debate this?

Wonder whose reporting is more accurate?

01-13-2015 12:37 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
This stat needs aired on Lance's show....further proof that the poll he takes every year is pretty accurate.

It also needs brought up every time some clown in the college sports/expansion room assumes and mentions that Cincy is 'owned by Ohio State" already. Clearly it's not.

01-13-2015 12:39 PM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Helps that the broadcast took up 4(!) channel. Put any NFL playoff game in that kind of position and they'd carry a 30% share at least.

01-13-2015 01:10 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
What % of people watching TV in Cincy would be watching UC play in a game of this magnitude? That is the key - % of people watching TV.

01-13-2015 01:18 PM
coachpipe Offline
1st String

I dont like these stats for any sporting event. They dont tell the whole story. A sporting event is going to beat any television show every single time. The way these ratings work is instead of counting per household or TV account, they count every TV console. So when Bdubs puts the game on 30 Tvs instead of rating that establishment as 1 person/vote it is a 30. Multiply that by every bdubs/sports bar and they will destroy any record that say breaking bad or game of thrones received.

01-13-2015 01:27 PM
Advertisement

Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
(01-13-2015 01:18 PM)bearcatdp Wrote:  What % of people watching TV in Cincy would be watching UC play in a game of this magnitude? That is the key - % of people watching TV.

Exactly. The rating doesn't tell you anything about OSU vs. UC in Cincinnati.

What it tells you is that Columbus is home to college football die-hards, most of whom root for OSU.

01-13-2015 01:30 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Anyway you slice it Cincy was the #5 metered market for the game last night, and Mike Decoursey tries to spin that as Cincy is a pro town.

01-13-2015 01:59 PM
BearcatFan22 Offline
Water Engineer

(01-13-2015 01:59 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Anyway you slice it Cincy was the #5 metered market for the game last night, and Mike Decoursey tries to spin that as Cincy is a pro town.

It's a lose/lose as far as I'm concerned. They can spin it any way they want.

If Cincinnati was recorded at 1% - the media would say Cincinnatians don't care about college football.

If Cincinnati was recorded at 99% - the media would say all Cincinnatians are tO$U fans.

01-13-2015 03:44 PM
Advertisement

Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(01-13-2015 01:27 PM)coachpipe Wrote:  I dont like these stats for any sporting event. They dont tell the whole story. A sporting event is going to beat any television show every single time. The way these ratings work is instead of counting per household or TV account, they count every TV console. So when Bdubs puts the game on 30 Tvs instead of rating that establishment as 1 person/vote it is a 30. Multiply that by every bdubs/sports bar and they will destroy any record that say breaking bad or game of thrones received.

I am not sure that is how ratings are measured.

01-14-2015 12:21 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(01-14-2015 12:21 AM)Eastside_J Wrote:  
(01-13-2015 01:27 PM)coachpipe Wrote:  I dont like these stats for any sporting event. They dont tell the whole story. A sporting event is going to beat any television show every single time. The way these ratings work is instead of counting per household or TV account, they count every TV console. So when Bdubs puts the game on 30 Tvs instead of rating that establishment as 1 person/vote it is a 30. Multiply that by every bdubs/sports bar and they will destroy any record that say breaking bad or game of thrones received.

It isn't

01-14-2015 12:28 AM
coachpipe Offline
1st String

This is what I was taught in my sports business class at Ohio University. We were being taught when the best time to put commercials on to promote football season tickets. Every TV was counted. Granted the only ones who are "really" counted have Nielson ratings boxes. But if you do happen to have one, every TV is counted. So While It may not be "every" bar or bdubs. You have to believe some were chosen to participate. And they dont just count 1 tv for everyone. They want to get a count on everyone in that household(every TV). But then the ratings are also skewed because the ratings happen during commercials. They dont care about the show itself. They just want to make sure you are watching their Ads. So if you are using Tivo or starting the game late to fast forward during commercials, or even change the channel during commercials, the numbers will also be off. The whole system is weird

I think these ratings will be obsolete and have no way to really track in a few years. We, as consumers, are trying to do anything to get away from cable TV. Hulu, netflix, ect. Watching shows on this obviously dont get counted. seems more and more people are cutting cable and moving towards watching things online. This wont be good for ratings.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 08:09 AM by coachpipe.)
01-14-2015 07:46 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline

(01-14-2015 07:46 AM)coachpipe Wrote:  

This is what I was taught in my sports business class at Ohio University. We were being taught when the best time to put commercials on to promote football season tickets. Every TV was counted. Granted the only ones who are "really" counted have Nielson ratings boxes. But if you do happen to have one, every TV is counted. So While It may not be "every" bar or bdubs. You have to believe some were chosen to participate. And they dont just count 1 tv for everyone. They want to get a count on everyone in that household(every TV). But then the ratings are also skewed because the ratings happen during commercials. They dont care about the show itself. They just want to make sure you are watching their Ads. So if you are using Tivo or starting the game late to fast forward during commercials, or even change the channel during commercials, the numbers will also be off. The whole system is weird

I think these ratings will be obsolete and have no way to really track in a few years. We, as consumers, are trying to do anything to get away from cable TV. Hulu, netflix, ect. Watching shows on this obviously dont get counted. seems more and more people are cutting cable and moving towards watching things online. This wont be good for ratings.

Every SIGNAL is counted, not every TV, as most of those places have multiple TV's attached to the same signal. It's the same as a household viewership, networks don't count 3 TV's watching the same program as 3 units, they count it as one.

But yes, once television gets deregulated and we can select which channels we want in our packages, the monitoring of ratings will be less important, as each individual network will know exactly how many subscribers they can reach.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015 11:11 AM by BearcatMan.)
01-14-2015 11:10 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Owners will just bundle their channels together and make you buy it that way.

01-14-2015 11:15 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(01-14-2015 11:15 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  Owners will just bundle their channels together and make you buy it that way.

Yep, which is pretty much what Sling have done by partnering with ABC/Disney.

01-14-2015 01:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.