Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thank the Lord above ODU is out of the Top 25...
Bookmark and Share
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Thank the Lord above ODU is out of the Top 25...
I would throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I saw that. Excuse me, I think I have... a little bit... coming up... right now... phew, went back down. Oh wait! 03-puke

Now if the admin would quit d!cking around and recognize that although an FBS football move would be wonderful (and they should continue to monitor their phone for a call from the ACC or whatever the hell it is they're waiting for), for a fraction of the time and a fraction of the cost we could return to the glory days of the 80's and 90's in men's basketball.

When I was a student my friends and I were actually on ESP frickin N during a Lefty-era JMU game. Those were the days before 57 ESPN channels and a gajillion other sports networks and online streaming. What a blast and what pride I had in my school getting such national exposure!

Get us back there and I (along I'm sure many others) would donate / contribute through the nose. It would give me so much more reason to be engaged vs watching JMU continue to slip into regional masters-level university mediocrity.

We can't just hitch our cart to one horse when that horse seems to be clueless offspring of a donkey and Mr. I don't care how we justify it, we need to just throw a bunch of money at a rising star head coach. Not someone just making a lateral move. Uncle Ron and his legacy deserve more than this crap. I need to go lie down.
01-12-2015 10:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HMK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
RE: Thank the Lord above ODU is out of the Top 25...
(01-12-2015 10:50 PM)2Buck Wrote:  I would throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I saw that. Excuse me, I think I have... a little bit... coming up... right now... phew, went back down. Oh wait! 03-puke

Now if the admin would quit d!cking around and recognize that although an FBS football move would be wonderful (and they should continue to monitor their phone for a call from the ACC or whatever the hell it is they're waiting for), for a fraction of the time and a fraction of the cost we could return to the glory days of the 80's and 90's in men's basketball.

When I was a student my friends and I were actually on ESP frickin N during a Lefty-era JMU game. Those were the days before 57 ESPN channels and a gajillion other sports networks and online streaming. What a blast and what pride I had in my school getting such national exposure!

Get us back there and I (along I'm sure many others) would donate / contribute through the nose. It would give me so much more reason to be engaged vs watching JMU continue to slip into regional masters-level university mediocrity.

We can't just hitch our cart to one horse when that horse seems to be clueless offspring of a donkey and Mr. I don't care how we justify it, we need to just throw a bunch of money at a rising star head coach. Not someone just making a lateral move. Uncle Ron and his legacy deserve more than this crap. I need to go lie down.

Wow! I enjoyed reading your post especially the part about the donkey.
After going through the great years, the frustration of losing hurts more than the joy of winning.
01-13-2015 01:59 AM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

(01-12-2015 10:50 PM)2Buck Wrote:  I would throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I saw that. Excuse me, I think I have... a little bit... coming up... right now... phew, went back down. Oh wait! 03-puke

[Image: fixed-the-newel-post-o.gif]
01-13-2015 10:26 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Can we PLEASE stop it with the ODU threads?
01-13-2015 10:43 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

agree.....let's hate on them b/c their admin actually had a vision for the athletic department. Don't get me wrong their are plent of reasons to hate on ODU but this is not one of them.
01-13-2015 11:29 AM
Advertisement

CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
[Image: 2f9.jpg]
01-13-2015 02:36 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-13-2015 02:36 PM)CameramanJ Wrote:  [Image: 2f9.jpg]

This could be one of JJtheButcher's relatives.
01-13-2015 03:37 PM
Dukester Offline

And that Karma came to bite Dallas in the butt!
01-13-2015 05:25 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(01-13-2015 10:26 AM)Mad victory Wrote:  

[Image: fixed-the-newel-post-o.gif]

I expect Jeff Bourne's list of pros and cons for a next mbb coach would look like this:

Cons
Expects a salary greater than the average CAA coach salary...
Expects JMU to have an athletics vision...

Pros
Willingness to attend Rockingham County Rotary events...
Willing to live in Harrisonburg City limits...
Won't get Me/JMU sued in court...
Well liked by the good ol' boys the keep me in the job after destroying the mbb program...
Has Tom Yeager's approval.
01-13-2015 06:39 PM
Advertisement

jjthebutcher Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2015 03:37 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

I'm not sure I know how to respond to that...
01-14-2015 10:06 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2015 10:06 PM)jjthebutcher Wrote:  

Meant to be a colorful comment, nothing else.
01-15-2015 09:39 AM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(01-15-2015 09:39 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(01-14-2015 10:06 PM)jjthebutcher Wrote:  

Meant to be a colorful comment, nothing else.

I like JJ, so I'll take it as a compliment.
01-15-2015 02:23 PM
mdc105 Offline
Water Engineer

I am another Lefty era JMU grad. I can't remember...were we ever ranked in the Top 20 (25)? Loved those UNLV (lost 80-73 in 1991), UR, Auburn (won 89-80 in 1992), Florida (we won 93-66 in 1990) games of the early 90's!!
01-19-2015 03:22 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2015 03:22 PM)mdc105 Wrote:  I am another Lefty era JMU grad. I can't remember...were we ever ranked in the Top 20 (25)? Loved those UNLV (lost 80-73 in 1991), UR, Auburn (won 89-80 in 1992), Florida (we won 93-66 in 1990) games of the early 90's!!

I'm 99.9% positive that is a no. The closest we came was with Lou at the beginning of the 1982 - 83 season.
01-19-2015 03:34 PM
jmuwyhamhgawd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes
(01-19-2015 03:34 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(01-19-2015 03:22 PM)mdc105 Wrote:  I am another Lefty era JMU grad. I can't remember...were we ever ranked in the Top 20 (25)? Loved those UNLV (lost 80-73 in 1991), UR, Auburn (won 89-80 in 1992), Florida (we won 93-66 in 1990) games of the early 90's!!

I'm 99.9% positive that is a no. The closest we came was with Lou at the beginning of the 1982 - 83 season.

No clue how close we came then, but I remember getting some votes in 2010, when we had that pretty good team with Bowles.

I remember because I know we got votes/ranked in the men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, and FBS football (after beating Tech) polls that year.
01-19-2015 05:54 PM
White Hall Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Dukes
(01-19-2015 05:54 PM)jmuwyhamhgawd Wrote:  
(01-19-2015 03:34 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

No clue how close we came then, but I remember getting some votes in 2010, when we had that pretty good team with Bowles.

I remember because I know we got votes/ranked in the men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, and FBS football (after beating Tech) polls that year.

I remember us getting close during the Lefty era, we showed up in the middle of the pack in the "other getting votes" category.
01-19-2015 06:20 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
ODU has now dropped 3 in conference and appear to be behind Western Kentucky and Louisiana Tech in CUSA. They should still play in the post season this year but their chances at an at large seem to be gone.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 08:30 AM by NJDuke97.)
01-27-2015 07:33 AM
Advertisement

HMK Offline
Special Teams

(01-27-2015 07:33 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  ODU has now dropped 3 in conference and appear to be behind Western Kentucky and Louisiana Tech in conference. They should still play in the post season this year but their chances at an at lare seem to be gone.

The only single mention of a top 20 spot occurred around 1982 when Sports Illustrated had JMU in their top 20 pre-season publication.
01-27-2015 08:12 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Honestly, I don't think we were at Top 25 team this year, but we just started hot. Bigger, more physical teams are starting to exploit our small size. (Not sure how healthy Richard Ross is either). Of course, starting out with 5 out of our first 7 conference games on the road hasn't helped, and the road in this conference is brutal.

Anyway, I think that the 2011 Championship team was a legitimate Top 25 (or better) team, and never got the votes. They would abuse the current Monarch lineup.
01-28-2015 08:23 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
(01-28-2015 08:23 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  Honestly, I don't think we were at Top 25 team this year, but we just started hot. Bigger, more physical teams are starting to exploit our small size. (Not sure how healthy Richard Ross is either). Of course, starting out with 5 out of our first 7 conference games on the road hasn't helped, and the road in this conference is brutal.

Anyway, I think that the 2011 Championship team was a legitimate Top 25 (or better) team, and never got the votes. They would abuse the current Monarch lineup.

That was a great team- I remember picking them to go deep and they almost got past Butler in the first round and then who knows if they take the same path.

There has been talk lately on these boards about lack of quality big men at JMU- some of the big guys in our rotation can't finish or complete plays the way we would want them to. Look at ODU's roster- their strength like a lot of programs is in their guards and wings. There is a dearth of quality big men in college hoops and btw JMU has a developing big man in Dalembert that a lot of programs would want. ODU out recruited JMU for Arledge as a 5th year senior and judging from the games I've watched and the stats I think he's been up and down. Their other big man Ross reminds me a little of the Hofsra big man- active body but not too much skill offensively. ODU was in the top 25 without a viable big man just as JMU could be and JMU actually has a sophomore big man who I think will continue to improve. There isn't that much difference in 100-125 rpi and 40-75 rpi in terms of talent IMO- just need to execute better, limit turnovers, make free throws etc and you win a lot of close games that way.
01-28-2015 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.