UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Athletics FAQ Contradiction (More Ammo to Use)
BirminghamBound Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
Watts claims that BOT involvement, understanding, or approval is not needed to end an athletics program (per the FAQ section, it's SOP to involve the BOT and Chancellor on hiring and contractual matters).

Source: http://www.uab.edu/athleticsplan/faq

This, however, runs counter to the BOT bylaws. Per Section 10 of the Board Manual:

This committee exists to assist the Board in its oversight of the intercollegiate athletics programs of each campus. The committee shall serve as liaison between the Board and the respective campuses and their athletic departments. It shall advise and consult with the Chancellor of The University of Alabama System and the campus Presidents on all matters that, in the judgment of the Chancellor and Presidents, have longterm impact on the operations, reputation and standing of The University of Alabama System and the campus athletic programs. Its responsibilities shall include monitoring and reviewing institutional compliance with the laws, rules, regulations, and policies of the Board, the campuses, the NCAA, and any other applicable governmental or regulatory agency or body; reviewing athletic budgets, facilities plans and student athletic fees; making recommendations to the Board as part of the annual budget, facilities, tuition and fee approvals; overseeing academic and other support services provided to student-athletes and monitoring their retention and graduation rates; requesting and reviewing reports on major legal, political, and public matters affecting the athletic departments or their personnel; and keeping the Board informed of relevant changes in conference and NCAA affiliations, structures, rules and regulations.

Source: http://uasystem.ua.edu/wp-content/upload...ANUAL1.pdf

I'm fairly certain this discrepancy has been pointed out before. However, I wasn't sure if it was before the most recent updates to the FAQ site (which included an answer re: the lack of BOT involvement) were made.

I would (1) screenshot the FAQ site in case it's scrubbed later and (2) email/tweet this out to every interested party and stakeholder in this fight; especially the faculty, senators, and the media.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 08:39 PM by BirminghamBound.)
01-08-2015 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uabco95 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
RE: UAB Athletics FAQ Contradiction (More Ammo to Use)
Very well done.
01-08-2015 09:37 PM
Advertisement

Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Good catch. I think we all suspected as much but it's good to see it and have it in black and white.

Would love to have the BOT or Watts address this.
01-08-2015 10:42 PM
uabbean Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: UAB Athletics FAQ Contradiction (More Ammo to Use)
(01-08-2015 08:29 PM)BirminghamBound Wrote:  Watts claims that BOT involvement, understanding, or approval is not needed to end an athletics program (per the FAQ section, it's SOP to involve the BOT and Chancellor on hiring and contractual matters).

Source: http://www.uab.edu/athleticsplan/faq

This, however, runs counter to the BOT bylaws. Per Section 10 of the Board Manual:

This committee exists to assist the Board in its oversight of the intercollegiate athletics programs of each campus. The committee shall serve as liaison between the Board and the respective campuses and their athletic departments. It shall advise and consult with the Chancellor of The University of Alabama System and the campus Presidents on all matters that, in the judgment of the Chancellor and Presidents, have longterm impact on the operations, reputation and standing of The University of Alabama System and the campus athletic programs. Its responsibilities shall include monitoring and reviewing institutional compliance with the laws, rules, regulations, and policies of the Board, the campuses, the NCAA, and any other applicable governmental or regulatory agency or body; reviewing athletic budgets, facilities plans and student athletic fees; making recommendations to the Board as part of the annual budget, facilities, tuition and fee approvals; overseeing academic and other support services provided to student-athletes and monitoring their retention and graduation rates; requesting and reviewing reports on major legal, political, and public matters affecting the athletic departments or their personnel; and keeping the Board informed of relevant changes in conference and NCAA affiliations, structures, rules and regulations.

Source: http://uasystem.ua.edu/wp-content/upload...ANUAL1.pdf

I'm fairly certain this discrepancy has been pointed out before. However, I wasn't sure if it was before the most recent updates to the FAQ site (which included an answer re: the lack of BOT involvement) were made.

I would (1) screenshot the FAQ site in case it's scrubbed later and (2) email/tweet this out to every interested party and stakeholder in this fight; especially the faculty, senators, and the media.
I think you are correct.

Although I strongly disagree with the outcome and the reasoning of the BOTs.(IMHO pro UAT over UAB) This means at least in a SACs/governance context the interifering by the BOTs in coaches hiring is allowable and may be actually mandated by board rules WOW!

Totally different than I thought
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 01:45 PM by uabbean.)
01-09-2015 01:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.