Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball O vs D
Bookmark and Share
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

I Root For: emu
Basketball O vs D
It seems to me that Murphy's teams have been characterized by stellar D and mediocre to poor O. That may be a generalization, but I believe it is accurate. What are your theories? I'll throw some out.

1. Murphy is a better D coach than O coach.
2. D is emphasized to the detriment to O.
3. Defensive minded players are preferred.
01-08-2015 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Basketball O vs D
#2 and (maybe) #3.

EagleSam went into a discussion of how transition offense causes problems for a zone defense as it leads to many fast breaks which does not permit the zone defense to set up. If the zone isn't set up, it is very vulnerable (to the open three). Getting back on a man to man defense is much different.

#3. It is hard to say that Lee, Ward, Talley, Price, etc. aren't offensive minded players. Put those guys on the play ground and they'd go crazy.
01-08-2015 01:49 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
Basketball O vs D
id say 1 and/or 2. none of us really know Murphy's offensive acumen, so we cant distinguish between the two. i agree with Steve that we have the raw offensive talent. they just never look like they are running a set offense of any sort. it's more like really calm rec league offense.
01-08-2015 03:59 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
We do have an offense but it is not a good one and it is very inefficient. What do I mean by inefficient? We dribble way way too much to move the ball. Anyone of us who has played on a fundamental basketball team understands that passing is quicker at moving the ball vs dribbling; however, I keep seeing us(especially Talley) dribble too much and it more times than not leads to a turn over. I do not fault our players because it is Murphy's system. He has to develop a much better system that spreads the floor, moves the ball with passing and develops a low post game. I am concerned because the offense run, or lack thereof, is the same inefficient and ineffective offense Murphy has run since year 1. I still believe we have more talent than any team in the league but I do not like our offense. I do give Murphy credit, he is much much better than Barnes, Boone and Ramsey and even with the deficiencies in place we will still win 20 games this year.
01-08-2015 04:14 PM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

It's a pretty basic motion offense. Nothing that will fool anyone. Lots of high screens and post ups, but none of our big men are good enough offensively for other teams to respect it. We do run the elevator screen play here and there, and that gets us some open looks, but it doesn't matter when you can't knock them down.

I actually think it's a combination of all 3. Murphy doesn't seem very innovative with the offense, defense is CLEARLY emphasized ahead of offense when you consider how he'll sit guys for bad D but not bad O, and a lot of players are very athletic but not the most skilled offensively. Yet he still has a team that is good enough to beat anyone in the conference. Sadly, we've shown that we can also lose to anyone in the conference as well.
01-08-2015 04:17 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
The concept of winning with a superior defense, and sometime lackluster (or worse) offense, is well engrained in sports.

One of the more famous lines in sports: "Offense put people in the seats but defense win championships."

In MLB, it is pitching, pitching, pitching (not hitting, hitting, hitting...).
01-08-2015 04:47 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

If we want to reach our potential as a team, Murphy has to be able to balance and assess a player's offensive and defensive abilities. Certainly at the Center position, Murphy would take a 7' that can't play offense (Riley/Samuels) but could play in his zone. I think this logic is flawed. We cant focus on just D and no O. Ben Braun would instead recruit a smaller low post scorer (even 6' 5" Kareem Carpenter) because he could score in the post.
01-08-2015 06:08 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

This is low POST precence I am talkung about. We have a dunker (Ward) but no low post like this MAC kid..... http://www.hustlebelt.com/2015/1/10/7526...he-bobcats
01-11-2015 12:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.