RE: Updated 247 AAC football rankings before Signing Day
I like our current additions. We have some tall safeties coming in
01-08-2015 11:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-08-2015 11:06 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  I like our current additions. We have some tall safeties coming in

I think everyone is moving towards taller safeties and corners. The days of the lightening quick 5'10 defensive backs are coming to a screeching halt as many schools have receivers these receivers who are 6'4-6'6 (or even taller). College coaches are taking tall receivers in high school (who might not be good enough to play WR at this level) and converting them to the secondary.
01-08-2015 11:13 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
(01-08-2015 11:13 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 11:06 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  I like our current additions. We have some tall safeties coming in

I think everyone is moving towards taller safeties and corners. The days of the lightening quick 5'10 defensive backs are coming to a screeching halt as many schools have receivers these receivers who are 6'4-6'6 (or even taller). College coaches are taking tall receivers in high school (who might not be good enough to play WR at this level) and converting them to the secondary.

That seems to be true. The receivers these days are so tall and athletic. You need to have someone that can challenge them. That Matthews guy for BYU was killing us because he was 6'6'' and our secondary couldn't match him.
01-08-2015 11:24 AM
zfred12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
I expect UCF to finish in the top 3. Currently 5th and only have 11 commitments but will finish with 18-20 so I think we will move up. We have the highest average right now so I like that.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 11:46 AM by zfred12.)
01-08-2015 11:34 AM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
If you look at bang for the buck, UCF is killing it. 10 of 11 verbals are 3 stars. USF has 13 of 14. ECU not far behind with 10 of 13.

Many of these rankings are skewed towards the programs that have more scholly's to give in a given year.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 12:48 PM by HP-TBDPITL.)
01-08-2015 12:47 PM
Advertisement

TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
(01-08-2015 12:47 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  If you look at bang for the buck, UCF is killing it. 10 of 11 verbals are 3 stars. USF has 13 of 14. ECU not far behind with 10 of 13.

Many of these rankings are skewed towards the programs that have more scholly's to give in a given year.

I know nothing whatsoever about recruiting, but our coach says that he tries to find guys who might be low-rated but have the potential to be great if coached properly. For us this past year, our defense was lead by two guys who would not have moved the needle on a recruiting rating, Martin Ifedi and Tank Jakes, yet became all-conference performers because of coaching.
01-08-2015 01:16 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
It's always hilarious to me when you look at stars on a recruit. They aren't even trying to hide their favoritism with some of ours. Ross Trail was a four star QB THE DAY BEFORE he committed UC, then mysteriously two weeks later he is dropped down two rating points and turned into a 3 star guy...lol
01-08-2015 03:48 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-08-2015 11:24 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  

That seems to be true. The receivers these days are so tall and athletic. You need to have someone that can challenge them. That Matthews guy for BYU was killing us because he was 6'6'' and our secondary couldn't match him.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those safeties ends up at LB for you guys. And what's up with having nearly a third of your commitments at DE? That seems pretty high, I'm assuming a few will shift inside once they pack on the weight?
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 04:01 PM by BearcatMan.)
01-08-2015 03:52 PM
GO Coogs GO!!! Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
No real surprise teams with new coaches are toward the bottom of that list.

Can't speak for the other schools but ours is still a little "busy".... and has done what he can until he is free next week.

Get back to me in Feb. and let me know where everyone ends up.
01-08-2015 03:54 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(01-08-2015 11:34 AM)zfred12 Wrote:  I expect UCF to finish in the top 3. Currently 5th and only have 11 commitments but will finish with 18-20 so I think we will move up. We have the highest average right now so I like that.

If you get nine more commitments within the next month and a half the average will drop. Looking at the targets there are only 2 or 3, 3stars that look like they might come to UCF.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 04:29 PM by DowdyPirate.)
01-08-2015 04:03 PM
Advertisement

TheBigEastSucks Offline
1st String

I Root For: NO QUARTER
(01-08-2015 03:48 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  It's always hilarious to me when you look at stars on a recruit. They aren't even trying to hide their favoritism with some of ours. Ross Trail was a four star QB THE DAY BEFORE he committed UC, then mysteriously two weeks later he is dropped down two rating points and turned into a 3 star guy...lol

Lol that has happened to ECU as well in the past. Some of the best coaches ever said their downfall was relying on these services instead of their own evaluation. Arguably the two best players in the aac didn't even get a d-1 offer this year and one is in the hall of fame.
01-08-2015 04:06 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
ECU has at least two guys from last class who either gray shirted or didn't make it in for various reasons that should be ready as freshmen for the spring. I'm sure other teams do as well.
01-08-2015 04:08 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
I think that Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, UConn, and Memphis should get a one month head start on football recruiting because we're not located in FL, TX, OH, or PA.

Between those corn fed lugs in OH/PA, the fleet afoot RB/WR/DB types in FL, and the 5 million 3+ star guys in TX each year; the rest of us are at a huge disadvantage. :)
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 04:15 PM by oldtiger.)
01-08-2015 04:14 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB Football
I've resigned myself to the fact that recruiting is pretty much a crap shoot. At least it has been for ECU. I haven't followed it closely enough for other schools to really have an opinion.

Our highest rated recruits seem to be as likely to never see the field as they are to have a big impact. Shane Carden was the lowest rated recruit in ECU's 2010 class. Hardy was a walk on in that class. Lance Lewis who made an NFL roster after graduation was 15th in that same class. 5 of the top 8 players in that class never became starters. None of those players made any significant impact on the field as backups. 7 of the bottom 9 players in that class were multiple year starters. Those players included Shane Carden, Lance Lewis, Damon Magazu, and Derrell Johnson.

I'm not making an argument that our ranking within the conference is wrong, just that the individual player ratings have not been an good indicator of how players will perform at ECU. I will be terrified if ECU ever signs a really good class because it will probably mean none of them will start at ECU.
01-08-2015 04:35 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB Football
(01-08-2015 04:14 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  I think that Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, UConn, and Memphis should get a one month head start on football recruiting because we're not located in FL, TX, OH, or PA.

Between those corn fed lugs in OH/PA, the fleet afoot RB/WR/DB types in FL, and the 5 million 3+ star guys in TX each year; the rest of us are at a huge disadvantage. :)

Seems fair to me! 04-cheers
01-08-2015 04:37 PM
Advertisement

Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

(01-08-2015 03:52 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those safeties ends up at LB for you guys. And what's up with having nearly a third of your commitments at DE? That seems pretty high, I'm assuming a few will shift inside once they pack on the weight?

Fuente is just doing the same thing at Memphis that he and Patterson did at TCU. He recruits speed so that makes the players versatile. Some of DE's will be LBs, DT, OL, or even TE. We have a lot of RBs as well but they are going to be converted to WR or CB
01-08-2015 06:12 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(01-08-2015 04:35 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  I've resigned myself to the fact that recruiting is pretty much a crap shoot. At least it has been for ECU. I haven't followed it closely enough for other schools to really have an opinion.

Our highest rated recruits seem to be as likely to never see the field as they are to have a big impact. Shane Carden was the lowest rated recruit in ECU's 2010 class. Hardy was a walk on in that class. Lance Lewis who made an NFL roster after graduation was 15th in that same class. 5 of the top 8 players in that class never became starters. None of those players made any significant impact on the field as backups. 7 of the bottom 9 players in that class were multiple year starters. Those players included Shane Carden, Lance Lewis, Damon Magazu, and Derrell Johnson.

I'm not making an argument that our ranking within the conference is wrong, just that the individual player ratings have not been an good indicator of how players will perform at ECU. I will be terrified if ECU ever signs a really good class because it will probably mean none of them will start at ECU.

Recruiting is a bit of a crap shoot, case in point,

http://247sports.com/Player/Damon-Magazu...tion=17199

http://247sports.com/Player/Detric-Allen...tion=17288

Who was the better DB? D. Allen or Mags?

Oh, and this guy,

http://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Hardy...tion=17226

[Image: justin-hardy.jpg]
01-08-2015 06:26 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(01-08-2015 06:12 PM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 03:52 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Fuente is just doing the same thing at Memphis that he and Patterson did at TCU. He recruits speed so that makes the players versatile. Some of DE's will be LBs, DT, OL, or even TE. We have a lot of RBs as well but they are going to be converted to WR or CB

Terry Williams, sign as a ILB at 252, moved to DT ended at 355.
01-08-2015 06:27 PM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Im just glad we got rid of old 2 star Bill.

Hopefully we improve next year. I think Monty will sign some good 3 star guys to fill out our class.
01-08-2015 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.