Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trivia hounds, a question
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Trivia hounds, a question
It has only taken me a dozen or so trips to the gulf coast to notice it, but Arkansas State's Centennial Bank Stadium and Southern Miss's M.M. Roberts Stadium are each located next to US 49 (and both west of the road).

Any other FBS stadiums located on the same highway / road at least close enough to be easily visible from the road?
01-06-2015 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frog in the Kitchen Sink Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU
RE: Trivia hounds, a question
Memorial Stadium (UT) and Baylor's new McLane Stadium are easily seen from I-35.
01-06-2015 10:47 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-06-2015 10:41 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  It has only taken me a dozen or so trips to the gulf coast to notice it, but Arkansas State's Centennial Bank Stadium and Southern Miss's M.M. Roberts Stadium are each located next to US 49 (and both west of the road).

Any other FBS stadiums located on the same highway / road at least close enough to be easily visible from the road?

Baylor, Texas, Texas State, UTSA on I-35. Houston and SMU on US 75 (I-45 ends at downtown Dallas).

UTSA, ULL, LSU, Tulane's old stadium (new probably not w/I sight) on I-10.
01-06-2015 10:49 AM
All American

(01-06-2015 10:49 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 10:41 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  It has only taken me a dozen or so trips to the gulf coast to notice it, but Arkansas State's Centennial Bank Stadium and Southern Miss's M.M. Roberts Stadium are each located next to US 49 (and both west of the road).

Baylor, Texas, Texas State, UTSA on I-35. Houston and SMU on US 75 (I-45 ends at downtown Dallas).

Can you see the stadiums from the roads for all those? I know UNT you can.

Is TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis visible from I-35?
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 10:57 AM by Frog in the Kitchen Sink.)
01-06-2015 10:55 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
You can't see UL's stadium from I-10.

Not a road, but if you ever fly into Birmingham coming from the west, Dallas or Houston, you fly right over the stadium.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 10:57 AM by HeartOfDixie.)
01-06-2015 10:56 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I would imagine there are several stadiums visible from I-85, since it runs from Virginia to Louisiana.
01-06-2015 11:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(01-06-2015 10:47 AM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  Memorial Stadium (UT) and Baylor's new McLane Stadium are easily seen from I-35.

I knew Baylor had a new stadium but didn't realize it was that close to the interstate.
01-06-2015 11:53 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
My bet for winner of the most impressive interstate stadium sighting is probably crossing the Mississippi into Baton Rouge and seeing Death Valley.
01-06-2015 11:57 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(01-06-2015 11:57 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  My bet for winner of the most impressive interstate stadium sighting is probably crossing the Mississippi into Baton Rouge and seeing Death Valley.

I dunno you feel like you can watch the game from the interstate in Austin.
01-06-2015 12:04 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(01-06-2015 10:49 AM)bullet Wrote:  UTSA, ULL, LSU, Tulane's old stadium (new probably not w/I sight) on I-10.

Sun Bowl is visible from I-10, based on my recollection of days driving through the west. I don't think the LA Coliseum is visible from I-10, it's a few miles away. Same with the stadiums at Arizona and ASU.

There must be others, that freeway runs from LA to Florida.
01-06-2015 12:06 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
The carrier dome has to be one of them.
01-06-2015 12:07 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(01-06-2015 10:55 AM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  

Can you see the stadiums from the roads for all those? I know UNT you can.

Is TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis visible from I-35?

Forgot about UNT. Texas State's stadium is pretty close to I-35. Alamodome is visible from a good distance.
01-06-2015 12:09 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-06-2015 11:53 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 10:47 AM)Frog in the Kitchen Sink Wrote:  Memorial Stadium (UT) and Baylor's new McLane Stadium are easily seen from I-35.

I knew Baylor had a new stadium but didn't realize it was that close to the interstate.

The new stadium is just off the interstate at the Brazos River.
01-06-2015 12:11 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt

JMU and Shennendoah University have visible stadiums from I-81, within 50 miles at that. Granted, SU's stadium is smaller than my high schools is, but still.
01-06-2015 12:22 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium sits right off of Interstate 65. I know Legion Field is about 6-7 blocks from 65 in Birmingham, and the same with Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Nearly every football stadium and basketball arena on the eastern Seaboard is within eyeshot of I-95 and US 1. I know that Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Fed Ex Field in Landover, Lincoln Financial Field, Wells Fargo Center, and Citizen Bank Park in Philly, and Met Life Stadium in Jersey are all directly attached to or within earshot of I-95.

The KFC YUM Center (basketball not football I know) is located physically on US 60 and US 31W where the run through downtown Louisville, is bordered by I-64, and can be seen from I-65 and I-71 (71 ends just before the exit for YUM). Off he top of my head I know Rupp Arena is also located on US 60, and I-64 crosses into St. Louis where the Scottrade Center and Busch Stadium are, and near the Edward Jones Dome. I-71 also ends right at the foot of YUM, and also crosses the Kentucky Motor Speedway and most of the stadiums in Cincinnati.

To make this game more fun, I think we should limit them to state or US highways, and leave interstates out. Then again since most interstates simply replaced an existing US highway, the results may stay the same.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 12:27 PM by adcorbett.)
01-06-2015 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU

TDECU (formerly Robertson Stadium) is not visible from I-45 unless you are on the second deck of a double decker bus and probably with binoculars. They probably should have built it within eye shot of it though.
01-06-2015 12:26 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
It's not a football stadium, but when you drive north on I-79 at night and come over the mountain just after the Westover exit, the WVU Coliseum looks pretty good when it's all lit up.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtH1xcDw5V_GcZbxEGI1R...BDn_CKL_Xq]
01-06-2015 12:31 PM
All American

(01-06-2015 12:25 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium sits right off of Interstate 65. I know Legion Field is about 6-7 blocks from 65 in Birmingham, and the same with Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Nearly every football stadium and basketball arena on the eastern Seaboard is within eyeshot of I-95 and US 1. I know that Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Fed Ex Field in Landover, Lincoln Financial Field, Wells Fargo Center, and Citizen Bank Park in Philly, and Met Life Stadium in Jersey are all directly attached to or within earshot of I-95.

The KFC YUM Center (basketball not football I know) is located physically on US 60 and US 31W where the run through downtown Louisville, is bordered by I-64, and can be seen from I-65 and I-71 (71 ends just before the exit for YUM). Off he top of my head I know Rupp Arena is also located on US 60, and I-64 crosses into St. Louis where the Scottrade Center and Busch Stadium are, and near the Edward Jones Dome. I-71 also ends right at the foot of YUM, and also crosses the Kentucky Motor Speedway and most of the stadiums in Cincinnati.

To make this game more fun, I think we should limit them to state or US highways, and leave interstates out. Then again since most interstates simply replaced an existing US highway, the results may stay the same.

Nebraska and Iowa stadiums are both close to US highway 6. Pretty sure you can't see Kinnick stadium from highway 6 along the river, though.
01-06-2015 12:46 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-06-2015 12:26 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  

TDECU (formerly Robertson Stadium) is not visible from I-45 unless you are on the second deck of a double decker bus and probably with binoculars. They probably should have built it within eye shot of it though.

You could see the old stadium. I'm pretty sure I've seen the new stadium. That doesn't mean I can see the field, but I can see the stands and lights.
01-06-2015 12:49 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
You have better eyes than I do. Recently, I was passing that stretch of I-45 on a daily basis, let alone how many times I've done it in the two decades I've lived here.
01-06-2015 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.