Larry Davis Monday Media Availability

01-05-2015 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Larry Davis Monday Media Availability
#UC's Ge'Lawn Guyn having surgery on right pinky finger and will be out for year, per #Bearcats assoc HC Larry Davis.

01-05-2015 03:38 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Figured that was coming. Going to need the other guards to stay healthy.

01-05-2015 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Answers the question of what they plan to do with Strickland's open scholarship.

01-05-2015 07:05 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(01-05-2015 07:05 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Answers the question of what they plan to do with Strickland's open scholarship.

Does it?

01-05-2015 07:18 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Probably. Well, maybe. Can't see them sending him on to find his life's work like that, can you?

01-05-2015 07:23 PM
Advertisement

Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(01-05-2015 07:23 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Probably. Well, maybe. Can't see them sending him on to find his life's work like that, can you?

He'll be eligible to transfer and play immediately. He is also already 24. He may think it's time to move on. I don't think this at all guarantees him staying. Quite frankly, I'd rather have an open scholarship in case we want to accept a transfer that becomes available than have G on scholarship another year with what will be a crowded back court.

That's not a very nice thing to say about a guy who works hard and represents the university very well, but he simply isn't good enough for this level.

01-05-2015 07:40 PM
AbeBadmus Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
[/quote]

He'll be eligible to transfer and play immediately. He is also already 24. He may think it's time to move on. I don't think this at all guarantees him staying. Quite frankly, I'd rather have an open scholarship in case we want to accept a transfer that becomes available than have G on scholarship another year with what will be a crowded back court.

That's not a very nice thing to say about a guy who works hard and represents the university very well, but he simply isn't good enough for this level.
[/quote]

I think this is the most likely approach. The staff can evaluate at the end of the year what will help the program. If Guyn wants to play basketball going forward, at least he can get a start on a graduate program at another university.

If Mick doesn't have another alternative, it isn't the worst thing to have a 5th year guard on the roster that understands what Mick wants on defense. He could be an asset to take some minutes and mentor the young players.

01-05-2015 08:09 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(01-05-2015 07:23 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Probably. Well, maybe. Can't see them sending him on to find his life's work like that, can you?

I'd be surprised if he is here next year.

01-05-2015 08:16 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
If Guyn's back next year he will be 5 years old than Caupain and 1 class ahead of him. Nearly 4 years older than Deberry and in the same class.

01-05-2015 08:51 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Think he is the same age as SK was this time last year.

01-05-2015 08:57 PM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Yup. And he will be a year older when he suits up for us next year. Can't say I wish I was right, but I think I am.

01-05-2015 08:58 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
With Caupain, Cobb and K. Johnson, along with the freshman Jenifer, don't see Guyn having a place on the team next year. Could see him moving on to Eastern Kentucky, Morehead State or some similar school not too far from here.

01-05-2015 09:00 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
I typically think it's awful to run guys off, and I don't want them to do it with Guyn. But a 25 year old senior? I know Huggs used to say it's not a race, but what are we doing here? Hope Guyn is loading up on classes while he's hurt and working towards a grad degree if he's on the team in 2016.

01-05-2015 09:06 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Hell, UC football just signed a Juco LB that old who is an academic risk and who has yet to take a snap. Seems odd that age is suddenly an issue in this case.

I have traditionally not been a big fan of Guyn's skill set...but the kid has done everything we have ever asked of him and has kept up his end of the bargain on and off the court. Came in and played as a true Frosh and has worked hard. Gets hurt 2 games into his senior year when he was a starter and we have an open scholie and would not redshirt him to give him a 5th year? That would seem sorta crappy to me. Sorry.

Plus, I am not convinced there won't be another scholarship open when it's all said and done. Might be a moot point.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 06:49 AM by rath v2.0.)
01-06-2015 06:33 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
^This

I know Guyn isn't a great player and he is not popular round these parts, but I don't understand running a kid off who has done what was asked of him. Mick offered him the scholarship. Nobody put a gun to Mick's head and forced Guyn on the team. He signed the LOI. He plays hard, goes to class, etc. I think he deserves the right to be on the team. I'm not saying he should get 30 min a game but I wouldn't run him off. In fact if I remember correctly didn't Guyn hit one or two huge three's last year late in a tight game or two? I mean, it's not like he has never done anything.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 07:52 AM by Bearcats#1.)
01-06-2015 07:49 AM
Advertisement

JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Guyn has put in his time and done everything asked of him. If he wants to come back and compete next year to earn playing time, he should be able to do so.

01-06-2015 08:17 AM
bacsidoan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UC
Go back and listen to Coach Cronin comments about Sanders and Guyn during his last media conference, then draw your own conclusion. He's not about just winning at all cost.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 08:20 AM by bacsidoan.)
01-06-2015 08:18 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

Gun to my head, I don't think he'll be back. I expect Mick to be honest with him as far as possible playing time, and I think Guyn may make the decision to go to a lower level and get some serious PT.

01-06-2015 10:06 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Seriously...if healthy, do Johnson or Mormon warrant more PT than Guyn? Not from what I am seeing so far. All things being equal, I may be surprised if he is not back. Mick is loyal to a fault and loves the dudes who stick it out and do right by the program. We have one in a suit on the bench now.

01-06-2015 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.