Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the Rice admin happy in CUSA?
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
Is the Rice admin happy in CUSA?
Tulane alums here, had a discussion with a TU alum on our board regarding Rice. He thinks your admin (not the fans) is happy in CUSA. Do you think this is true? Your AD has recently stated that he wants to drastically increase revenue and I can't believe that he thinks that will be easy in CUSA.

Now I am not posting this to attack anyone or troll, just to gauge what your admin is thinking in order to possible resolve a difference in opinion. Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 01:34 PM by wavefan12.)
01-05-2015 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Is the Rice admin happy in CUSA?
(01-05-2015 01:23 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  Tulane alums here, had a discussion with a TU alum on our board regarding Rice. He thinks your admin (not the fans) is happy in CUSA. Do you think this is true? Your AD has recently stated that he wants to drastically increase revenue and I can't believe that he thinks that will be easy in CUSA.

Now I am not posting this to attack anyone or troll, just to gauge what your admin is thinking in order to possible resolve a difference in opinion. Thanks.

It probably depends on your definition of happy.

Satisfied remaining in C-USA? I think not, since they know there are better options for us.

Happy being in C-USA given the situation and the fact that we do not really have a good case to be in a P-5? Probably. But since they aren't satisfied I think they are actively working to increase our brand to a point where we are no longer happy and feel that we have proven that we deserve to be in a better conference.

Just my opinion though.
01-05-2015 01:32 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(01-05-2015 01:32 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 01:23 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  Tulane alums here, had a discussion with a TU alum on our board regarding Rice. He thinks your admin (not the fans) is happy in CUSA. Do you think this is true? Your AD has recently stated that he wants to drastically increase revenue and I can't believe that he thinks that will be easy in CUSA.

It probably depends on your definition of happy.

Satisfied remaining in C-USA? I think not, since they know there are better options for us.

Happy being in C-USA given the situation and the fact that we do not really have a good case to be in a P-5? Probably. But since they aren't satisfied I think they are actively working to increase our brand to a point where we are no longer happy and feel that we have proven that we deserve to be in a better conference.

Just my opinion though.

I suppose the definition matters. Basically, do you think the admin is actively talking to the AAC in the event they add another member or lose a member? Hell, do you think your AD even kicked the tires with the B12 after the TCU/Baylor rankings?

As for Rice, well for starters Tulane got the first ticket to the AAC and its not as if we had a compelling resume. Rice is in a saturated market but it is a huge market. You are loaded and the fact remains that the school presidents have the final say and Rice academics matter. Research partnerships can be as valuable as TV money.
01-05-2015 01:37 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Obviously you'll only get opinions from us and not 'really' what they think.

I think we are unhappy about losing Tulane, Tulsa and SMU as they are far and away our closest academic peers in g5, and that matters to a school like Rice, but we are actually probably happy about adding UTSA in terms of attendance... though losing UH hurt as much as gaining UTSA helped.

Academically, I think we'd far rather be in a p5 conference. That is where we belong academically. Athletically, we are a tougher fit due to our size and the fact that our traditional interest (beyond our alums) is from people generally less inclined towards 'big time' (especially) football.

If we're not in a p5, I think we are somewhat indifferent (plusses and minuses to each) to being in the MWC or CUSA or AAC.... but since we don't control those decisions, we need to be 'happy' wherever we are and do the best we can from there.

I think we'd ideally like to have (especially) UH back for attendance, and though SMU, Tulane and Tulsa don't draw particularly well in Houston, there is SOME 'collegiality' (pun intended) among us with those three as conference rivals... but as OOC opponents (especially football) I only really see UH as being worth adding back.... purely because of proximity and numbers.

If we left CUSA, I'd like to keep UNT and UTSA as OOC opponents for the same reasons.

Answering your later questions...

I am sure we kicked the tires w/r/t Baylor/TCU, as we did with every conference (the Big12 may not only be talking to g5 schools) I could see some 'also rans' in the B1G or SEC or even the PAC who think they might do better in the B12... and suddenly the 'hole' is there. If the AAC called, and there are numerous reasons to think they wouldn't, I don't know if we'd really be interested.

ETA: By admin, if you mean Athletic admin, then I'd say no, they aren't 'happy', but it is where we are and we need to do as well as we can. If you mean academic admin, I'd say the answer is less clear. CUSA still gets us to the dance in Baseball and we have the same access as before in basketball... we CAN dominate other sports... because they offer no path to the pros and the value of our scholarship is vastly superior in CUSA. Football 'may' in some people's minds be a bit of a sacrificial lamb for some who are 'happy' in CUSA. For the rest of us, the real question is whether CUSA or some other non p-5 offers us a better shot at being invited to p5.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 01:54 PM by Hambone10.)
01-05-2015 01:38 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(01-05-2015 01:38 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Obviously you'll only get opinions from us and not 'really' what they think.

I think we are unhappy about losing Tulane, Tulsa and SMU as they are far and away our closest academic peers in g5, and that matters to a school like Rice, but we are actually probably happy about adding UTSA in terms of attendance... though losing UH hurt as much as gaining UTSA helped.

Academically, I think we'd far rather be in a p5 conference. That is where we belong academically. Athletically, we are a tougher fit due to our size and the fact that our traditional interest (beyond our alums) is from people generally less inclined towards 'big time' (especially) football.

If we're not in a p5, I think we are somewhat indifferent (plusses and minuses to each) to being in the MWC or CUSA or AAC.... but since we don't control those decisions, we need to be 'happy' wherever we are and do the best we can from there.

I think we'd ideally like to have (especially) UH back for attendance, and though SMU, Tulane and Tulsa don't draw particularly well in Houston, there is SOME 'collegiality' (pun intended) among us with those three as conference rivals... but as OOC opponents (especially football) I only really see UH as being worth adding back.... purely because of proximity and numbers.

If we left CUSA, I'd like to keep UNT and UTSA as OOC opponents for the same reasons.

Answering your later questions...

I am sure we kicked the tires w/r/t Baylor/TCU, as we did with every conference (the Big12 may not only be talking to g5 schools) I could see some 'also rans' in the B1G or SEC or even the PAC who think they might do better in the B12... and suddenly the 'hole' is there. If the AAC called, and there are numerous reasons to think they wouldn't, I don't know if we'd really be interested.

That's shocking to me. I am sorry but the CUSA schedule is just horrific IMO. UConn, Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Houston are just so much more compelling. Not to mentiont he AAC between TV, NCAA credit and bowls brings in about three time what CUSA does. IDK. Tulane's atheltic success and fanbase is similar to Rice's, I was scared that we wouldn't survive int he new CUSA.
01-05-2015 01:51 PM
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
I think our President and Board of Trustees are aware of the limitations of continuing to be in CUSA, but can not move until we are invited to a better conference. AAC is better than CUSA, but most of the benefit was removed when it was dropped from P5 to G5.
01-05-2015 02:07 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(01-05-2015 01:51 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  That's shocking to me. I am sorry but the CUSA schedule is just horrific IMO. UConn, Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Houston are just so much more compelling. Not to mentiont he AAC between TV, NCAA credit and bowls brings in about three time what CUSA does. IDK. Tulane's atheltic success and fanbase is similar to Rice's, I was scared that we wouldn't survive int he new CUSA.

You suffer from a 'short term' perspective.

So much more compelling in terms of what? Butts in the seats? I'd say not enough to matter. People in Houston aren't any more interested in coming to watch Rice play anyone on your list (other than UH) than they are in coming to watch anyone on CUSA's list.

In terms of athletic competition? The question is, what is your goal?

If it is to get the AAC to be a p6 conference again, then fine. Good luck with that. If it is to get a single team invited to a power conference, then whether or not the AAC is better than CUSA is immaterial. Perhaps it is better to consistently dominate a somewhat weaker conference than be part of some rotating hierarchy in a modestly better one.... especially if you are 'giving back' some of your recruiting advantages by re-uniting with another school in your same city and the only other decent academic schools in g5... which is why I said I'm not sure.

The differences between the AAC and CUSA are certainly not nothing, but relative to the differences between the AAC and p5, they are.
01-05-2015 02:09 PM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

(01-05-2015 01:51 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  That's shocking to me. I am sorry but the CUSA schedule is just horrific IMO. UConn, Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Houston are just so much more compelling. Not to mentiont he AAC between TV, NCAA credit and bowls brings in about three time what CUSA does. IDK. Tulane's atheltic success and fanbase is similar to Rice's, I was scared that we wouldn't survive int he new CUSA.

I suppose part of the difference in our situation is that we added several large public schools from in our state. We apparently will be scheduling Houston again soon, and the other four, while arguably more compelling from a fan perspective aren't actually going to bring more people than UNT or UTSA. (Talking football, basketball might be a different story.) La Tech probably brings more than Tulane.

Having said that, it's not like Rice would be the only school moving if an opportunity arose, so the context would be vitally important. If AAC/MWC are raiding CUSA, then I would hope our admin would want to move rather than get left behind again. But CUSA had a good year this year in football, and ODU has broken into the basketball rankings. So who knows if the AAC will be in a position to raid CUSA in a few years?

[Edit: Hambone said largely the same thing, while I was typing...]
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 02:11 PM by JustAnotherAustinOwl.)
01-05-2015 02:09 PM
07owl Offline
All American

(01-05-2015 02:09 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  

I suppose part of the difference in our situation is that we added several large public schools from in our state. We apparently will be scheduling Houston again soon, and the other four, while arguably more compelling from a fan perspective aren't actually going to bring more people than UNT or UTSA. (Talking football, basketball might be a different story.) La Tech probably brings more than Tulane.

Having said that, it's not like Rice would be the only school moving if an opportunity arose, so the context would be vitally important. If AAC/MWC are raiding CUSA, then I would hope our admin would want to move rather than get left behind again. But CUSA had a good year this year in football, and ODU has broken into the basketball rankings. So who knows if the AAC will be in a position to raid CUSA in a few years?

Also, Cincy and UConn are desperately trying to leave (and obviously others less visibly). If Rice got invited it would likely be because they left. The other names you listed don't do much for me, other than I liked playing UH.
01-05-2015 02:11 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(01-05-2015 02:11 PM)07owl Wrote:  

Also, Cincy and UConn are desperately trying to leave (and obviously others less visibly). If Rice got invited it would likely be because they left. The other names you listed don't do much for me, other than I liked playing UH.

Yes but three times the revenue and all games on ESPN is massive for recruiting/budgets. Your AD has said his goal is to increase ticket sales, I just don't know if it is possible playing that schedule. I did not consider adding the UNT and UTSA of the world for ticket sales. IDK, like I said I just hate the brands in CUSA, not to say the AAC is some huge step up but in my mind it is a clear improvement and at least gives you a better forum to approach the P5 in the off chance they would want to add the best G5 academic school in the nation.
01-05-2015 02:20 PM
07owl Offline
All American

(01-05-2015 02:20 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

Yes but three times the revenue and all games on ESPN is massive for recruiting/budgets. Your AD has said his goal is to increase ticket sales, I just don't know if it is possible playing that schedule. I did not consider adding the UNT and UTSA of the world for ticket sales. IDK, like I said I just hate the brands in CUSA, not to say the AAC is some huge step up but in my mind it is a clear improvement and at least gives you a better forum to approach the P5 in the off chance they would want to add the best G5 academic school in the nation.

I also doubt Houston, if they're still there, would be happy to let Rice in...although who knows for sure. As others above me said, ticket sales didn't really see a big dent (other than UH games); less prominent names but not so much less that the easier travel doesn't counteract that. If we were playing UT and A&M it would be different. I doubt any of us are all that happy with the lot we're in, but we've earned it. I think if a AAC invite was extended, we'd take it, but I don't think it would be as clear an improvement as you claim.
01-05-2015 02:24 PM
Advertisement

Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(01-05-2015 02:20 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  Yes but three times the revenue and all games on ESPN is massive for recruiting/budgets. Your AD has said his goal is to increase ticket sales, I just don't know if it is possible playing that schedule. I did not consider adding the UNT and UTSA of the world for ticket sales. IDK, like I said I just hate the brands in CUSA, not to say the AAC is some huge step up but in my mind it is a clear improvement and at least gives you a better forum to approach the P5 in the off chance they would want to add the best G5 academic school in the nation.

I agree with nearly all of what you are saying.

Only caveats ....

* I don't know details of departure economics (e.g. departure/entrance fees) - although CUSA leadership has traditionally held a pretty open door policy towards teams moving up
* Will there be an earlier opportunity from the MWC (remember that we have a history - some good and some bad - with many MWC members)

I think it's pretty apparent that the AAC/MWC are positioning themselves as a middle tier right now in FBS football - with even higher basketball profiles. My guess is that this is our realistic next step goal - although that is just personal opinion.

One last thing ... while football clearly drives the bus, we've got to get MBB to a level where at minimum we're not a big RPI drag. My guess is that we're there by next season (two years at the outside).
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 02:36 PM by Orange County Owl.)
01-05-2015 02:28 PM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

(01-05-2015 02:24 PM)07owl Wrote:  

I also doubt Houston, if they're still there, would be happy to let Rice in...although who knows for sure. As others above me said, ticket sales didn't really see a big dent (other than UH games); less prominent names but not so much less that the easier travel doesn't counteract that. If we were playing UT and A&M it would be different. I doubt any of us are all that happy with the lot we're in, but we've earned it. I think if a AAC invite was extended, we'd take it, but I don't think it would be as clear an improvement as you claim.

I do think we would rather be with Tulane/SMU/Tulsa. (Though I must say, I don't think SMU and Tulsa are in the same class as Rice and Tulane academically.) I wonder how peeved our admin is at the other three for leaving us behind? I think it was the Tulane president who said something publicly about the academic schools sticking together. If I were Leebron, that would stick in my craw. But maybe I'm more petty than he is.
01-05-2015 02:29 PM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
(01-05-2015 01:51 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  ...I am sorry but the CUSA schedule is just horrific IMO. UConn, Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Houston are just so much more compelling. Not to mentiont he AAC between TV, NCAA credit and bowls brings in about three time what CUSA does....

That's a short-term view.

As I recall, the value of the AAC TV contract is only 10-20% of the value of the P5 contracts. The difference in value between the C-USA and AAC TV contracts is practically rounding error compared to the value of the P5 contracts.
01-05-2015 02:34 PM
75src Offline
All American

I do not think he is peeved since it is recognized that currently everybody is going to make the best deal for their schools regardless of past rivalries, etc. The need for money overrules anything else.

(01-05-2015 02:29 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 02:24 PM)07owl Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 02:09 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  I suppose part of the difference in our situation is that we added several large public schools from in our state. We apparently will be scheduling Houston again soon, and the other four, while arguably more compelling from a fan perspective aren't actually going to bring more people than UNT or UTSA. (Talking football, basketball might be a different story.) La Tech probably brings more than Tulane.

I do think we would rather be with Tulane/SMU/Tulsa. (Though I must say, I don't think SMU and Tulsa are in the same class as Rice and Tulane academically.) I wonder how peeved our admin is at the other three for leaving us behind? I think it was the Tulane president who said something publicly about the academic schools sticking together. If I were Leebron, that would stick in my craw. But maybe I'm more petty than he is.
01-05-2015 02:37 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(01-05-2015 02:29 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  I do think we would rather be with Tulane/SMU/Tulsa. (Though I must say, I don't think SMU and Tulsa are in the same class as Rice and Tulane academically.) I wonder how peeved our admin is at the other three for leaving us behind? I think it was the Tulane president who said something publicly about the academic schools sticking together. If I were Leebron, that would stick in my craw. But maybe I'm more petty than he is.

I just assumed the Tulane pres was admitting they treat SMU and Tulsa as peers, but Rice was so far ahead they couldn't stretch that far. 03-wink
01-05-2015 02:41 PM
Advertisement

wavefan12 Offline
All American

(01-05-2015 02:41 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 02:29 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  I do think we would rather be with Tulane/SMU/Tulsa. (Though I must say, I don't think SMU and Tulsa are in the same class as Rice and Tulane academically.) I wonder how peeved our admin is at the other three for leaving us behind? I think it was the Tulane president who said something publicly about the academic schools sticking together. If I were Leebron, that would stick in my craw. But maybe I'm more petty than he is.

I just assumed the Tulane pres was admitting they treat SMU and Tulsa as peers, but Rice was so far ahead they couldn't stretch that far. 03-wink

That FORMER pres was a joke. When he came in we were right with Rice now we are miles behind. He talks a lot and once said Rice/SMU were our peers and the old Big East was just changing chairs on the Titanic, then he went and begged the BE for an invite. The guys a snake. He has done so many messed up/secret deals, really hurting TU.
01-05-2015 02:49 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(01-05-2015 02:34 PM)Caelligh Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 01:51 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  ...I am sorry but the CUSA schedule is just horrific IMO. UConn, Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Houston are just so much more compelling. Not to mentiont he AAC between TV, NCAA credit and bowls brings in about three time what CUSA does....

That's a short-term view.

As I recall, the value of the AAC TV contract is only 10-20% of the value of the P5 contracts. The difference in value between the C-USA and AAC TV contracts is practically rounding error compared to the value of the P5 contracts.

How the P5 contract has any bearing on this discussion is beyond me. That's like saying we mind as well eat at Golden Coral instead of Chili's just because we can afford Ruth's Chris.

The AAC contract is around $2.8mm per and I think CUSA is just over $1mm, but that doesn't count the huge difference in NCAA credits and bowl revenue. Not to mention the contract will probably get re-negotiated much higher. The biggest issue is exposure as having every game on ESPN has been amazing, but you guys know more about Rice's reality. I still think the AAC baseball will surprise people. Tulane will be back with Pierce, UCF, Houston and ECU are solid. USF made a great hire. UConn has been very good recently and even Cincy is investing.

I was just shocked that in many of your opinions the Rice admin wouldn't jump on the chance to go to the AAC. It is what it is....
01-05-2015 02:57 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(01-05-2015 02:20 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  Yes but three times the revenue and all games on ESPN is massive for recruiting/budgets. Your AD has said his goal is to increase ticket sales, I just don't know if it is possible playing that schedule. I did not consider adding the UNT and UTSA of the world for ticket sales. IDK, like I said I just hate the brands in CUSA, not to say the AAC is some huge step up but in my mind it is a clear improvement and at least gives you a better forum to approach the P5 in the off chance they would want to add the best G5 academic school in the nation.

You're mixing goals here and still not seeing the forest for the trees.

You're talking about $3mm/yr in revenue as opposed to $1mm/yr. That's nothing compared to the 20+mm/yr that p5 schools get. Also, Saturdays on TV are not bereft of options and outside of your own alumni, there aren't really many people more interested in seeing an AAC game than a CUSA game when there are 20 p5 games on at the same time.

Everything you list as an advantage, p5's bring in spades. Not one of you would stay in the AAC if a p5 called. I think a decent argument could be made that a school that can succeed in g5 WITHOUT those advantages is 'worth more' to a p5 conference than one that needed those advantages to succeed.

I'm not expecting you to agree... I'm merely saying that argument isn't without merit.
01-05-2015 02:58 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(01-05-2015 02:58 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I think a decent argument could be made that a school that can succeed in g5 WITHOUT those advantages is 'worth more' to a p5 conference than one that needed those advantages to succeed.

On the flip side ... I think a larger (and more straight forward) argument can made that a school that can be competitive on the field in a more challenging conference (e.g. AAC/MWC) is more likely to be competitive in a P5 league.

Admittedly somewhat different arguments (economic vs. competitive) ...
01-05-2015 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.