Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the SEC is so weak...
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
If the SEC is so weak...
Let's try this suit on a different way. Everyone is full on board the SEC West bashing train, but no one is talking about that "pitiful" SEC East who is about to run the bowl table against some very good opponents. We have a lot of parity this year, but I would not call us weak...
01-03-2015 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: If the SEC is so weak...
I believe the SEC west was 2-5 and so far SEC east is 4-0 with FLA game pending.

So it appears the west was over-rated, which screwed up the bowl selection order for the SEC teams. Maybe Mizzou should have got the Peach bowl instead of Ole Miss and all the east teams move up 1 spot and all the west teams drop down 1 spot in the pecking order.
01-03-2015 12:37 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-03-2015 12:18 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Let's try this suit on a different way. Everyone is full on board the SEC West bashing train, but no one is talking about that "pitiful" SEC East who is about to run the bowl table against some very good opponents. We have a lot of parity this year, but I would not call us weak...

It is just backlash against having the SEC shoved down everyone's throats. You guys have earned it.
01-03-2015 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
I'm not sure I would categorize this year's Miami team as a very good opponent. Minnesota and ECU are okay but are they "very good"? Georgia had the best win against Louisville, but then Louisville was down a QB.

GA, Kentucky, SC and Florida all lost to their ACC rivals. SC was not very good all year, nor was Florida. Mizzou got beat by Indiana.

Even though they did not win the East, Georgia was the class of the SEC East this year. They had wins over very good teams, beyond them?
01-03-2015 12:40 PM
harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: B1G, Bradley
Don't read too much into the sec bashing, a lot of people are just enjoying having their conference on equal footing with the sec, no one actually thinks the sec is bad
01-03-2015 12:45 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
No one is saying the SEC sucks. They're just not light years ahead of everyone else as is constantly portrayed.
01-03-2015 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Villecard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(01-03-2015 12:38 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 12:18 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Let's try this suit on a different way. Everyone is full on board the SEC West bashing train, but no one is talking about that "pitiful" SEC East who is about to run the bowl table against some very good opponents. We have a lot of parity this year, but I would not call us weak...

It is just backlash against having the SEC shoved down everyone's throats. You guys have earned it.

This. The national fawning over that league was disgusting and ultimately undeserving.
01-03-2015 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
No one (or at least very few) actually think the SEC is weak. The SEC, particularly the SEC West has been on top so long and given so much attention that there was going to be a backlash when it didn't live up to the hype. It's the same as when top programs drop a game surprisingly and get called over-rated.

Reality appears to be that the SEC might have been the best conference this year (debatable), but all the talk about the SEC West this year being the best division ever were clearly off.

The bigger reality is that only a small sample size of games in football means we over-hype every result. We imagine these games like they would always play out the same, but the truth is you play those games 100 times each and you get different results every time. While we rank based on the ones that actually happen, we over-react a lot. A bad week 2 did not mean the Big Ten top teams were mid-tier SEC teams and a bad bowl season does not mean those SEC teams were not very good teams.
01-03-2015 12:57 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
The only thing this year proves is that Good Football is played all across the Nation...The SEC is one of the Top 2 Conferences in College Football...nothing more nothing less.
01-03-2015 01:01 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
It is healthier for college FB if there is more parity. The SEC dropping a notch is good for CFB.
01-03-2015 01:06 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I have always looked at it as media gobbledygook. There are good teams in every conference, there are mediocre teams in every conference and there are bad teams in every conference. Trying to emphasize the differences between the P5 leagues, while a good marketing strategy, is complete nonsense.

When people get caught up in "this conference is great" and "that conference sucks" stuff, that shows me that he or she doesn't have any idea what they are talking about.
01-03-2015 01:07 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville

Actually you can blame sec fans for that. IIRC at the end of the season the ACC went 4-0 over the sec. The response? Oh that's just the SAeC East: they don't count. That's the issue.
01-03-2015 08:04 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
You mean the same SEC east that got killed by the SEC West in conference play and went 0-4 against the ACC n rivalry week???
01-03-2015 10:43 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2015 10:43 PM)john01992 Wrote:  You mean the same SEC east that got killed by the SEC West in conference play and went 0-4 against the ACC n rivalry week???

They must remind you of the Big XII...
01-04-2015 02:36 AM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
(01-04-2015 02:36 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 10:43 PM)john01992 Wrote:  You mean the same SEC east that got killed by the SEC West in conference play and went 0-4 against the ACC n rivalry week???

Come on now. 03-lmfao
01-04-2015 04:19 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

(01-04-2015 04:19 AM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

Come on now. 03-lmfao
I know Knightsweat. Just making a pointed comment in response to a guy who based his entire opinion of the SEC on one week. With a six or eight slot playoff we would have seen TCU get their chance. That sucked. They murdered their bowl opponent. On a separate note, what is the plan for OU. Think it was just a down year or is it time for Stoops to maybe move on?04-cheers
01-04-2015 01:20 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(01-04-2015 01:20 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 04:19 AM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

Come on now. 03-lmfao
I know Knightsweat. Just making a pointed comment in response to a guy who based his entire opinion of the SEC on one week. With a six or eight slot playoff we would have seen TCU get their chance. That sucked. They murdered their bowl opponent. On a separate note, what is the plan for OU. Think it was just a down year or is it time for Stoops to maybe move on?04-cheers

Stoops isn't moving on, Oklahoma is. 05-stirthepot
01-04-2015 01:23 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

The SEC isn't weak. It's just relatively weak compared to the murder's row lineups of past years.
01-04-2015 02:41 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
I still think the SEC is the best conference. But some SEC fans think the SEC is closer to the NFL than it is to conferences like the AAC. That's delusional.
01-04-2015 02:54 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
I don't think anyone in their right mind, that knows anything at all about college football, would say that the SEC's weak by any stretch of the imagination. I don't however, think they're heads and shoulders above the other power conferences as they're made out to be. WVU gave Alabama a helluva ball game earlier in the year and, no offense to the Eer fans here, nobody's accused WVU of being a good team this year. I DO think there's more parity in the SEC than you may find in other conferences, but I'm not sure that constitutes them the best. This year it's B1G vs. PAC12 for the title. No SEC teams to be found, so it's hard to say they were the best conference this year. But weak? No, I wouldn't necessarily say they're weak either.
01-04-2015 05:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.