Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

De Blasio reappoints judge who freed men who threatened cops
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
De Blasio reappoints judge who freed men who threatened cops
Yo, Bill, atta way to build bridges.

Quote:Mayor Bill de Blasio delivered another blow to New York's Finest on Wednesday when he reappointed a Brooklyn judge who freed without bail two men who threatened cops just days after the Bed-Stuy double police assassination.

The stunning decision came even as one of the suspects — a gang member charged with posting police death threats online — skipped a court date and had a warrant out for his arrest, sources said.

Brooklyn Criminal Court Judge Laura Johnson had faced a midnight expiration of her term. She was appointed by then-Mayor Mike Bloomberg in January 2013.

Her one-year, interim reappointment by de Blasio outraged law enforcement officials a day after he met with the heads of five police unions to heal his fractured relationship with cops.

"The mayor's actions of reappointing this judge are completely hypocritical to his argument that he’s pro-police and counterproductive to what he claims to be an effort to open dialogue going forward,” said sergeants union chief Ed Mullins.

"He had the opportunity to demonstrate good will and support for the police, and he once again has demonstrated the opposite."

The head of the state ¬court officers union, Dennis Quirk, called de Blasio’s decision "a disgrace."

Link
01-02-2015 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: De Blasio reappoints judge who freed men who threatened cops
Probably related to the De Blasio Family.
01-02-2015 03:30 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

So it’s come to this: On the weekend New York City buries another of its Finest, Detective Wenjian Liu, the focus is on the mayor — and whether police officers will again turn their backs on him.

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton calls the gesture “inappropriate.” Peter King, the Republican congressman from Long Island, doesn’t like it either, but because it is “creating sympathy” for the mayor.

Even before the back-turnings, Cardinal Timothy Dolan was saying it’s “unfair and counterproductive to dismiss our mayor and other leaders as enemies of the police.”

Let’s stipulate up front that the man responsible for the murders of Officers Liu and Rafael Ramos is not the mayor but the nut who pulled the trigger. Let’s stipulate too that the mayor does not have blood on his hands.

Let’s do so, however, while acknowledging that the murders have illuminated the squalid assumptions behind so much of Bill de Blasio’s rhetoric about police.

Long before Officers Liu and Ramos were gunned down on that Brooklyn street corner, de Blasio had run his campaign for mayor based on calumny: that the NYPD is a racist police force.

This was what de Blasio meant when he campaigned against “an abusive stop-and-frisk policy that targeted communities of color.” In other words, we weren’t talking about a few bad apples. We were talking about an entire force out to get people of color.

And just look at the characters who were attracted by the argument.

Start with Kicy Motley. Back when de Blasio was but one Democratic candidate among many (and not even the leading one) vying for the nomination, Motley was working on the de Blasio campaign. She came to the campaign with definite views on the cops.

A year earlier, she’d tweeted “F - - k. The. Police” after New York cops shot and killed a knife-wielding man in Times Square.

Later she had tweeted “there’s a part of me rooting for #Dorner,” a reference to former LAPD cop Chris Dorner, who killed three police officers and the daughter of a police officer in a shooting spree that ended when he took his own life.

Today Motley proudly works for Mayor de Blasio in “community affairs” in Brooklyn.

Shortly after Motley’s tweets became public, another member of Team de Blasio was found to have made similar posts.

In addition to rants against Jews and vulgar references to then-Speaker Christine Quinn’s anatomy, Anthony “Tony” Baker — who worked for then-Public Advocate de Blasio — had posted this gem: “Kill the Police.”

Baker resigned, and de Blasio went on to be elected mayor. For a while, all was quiet.

Then came the infamous July meeting at City Hall, where the mayor seated the loudest voice in the anti-cop chorus, the Rev. Al Sharpton, on one side of him and Commissioner Bratton on the other, suggesting they were equal in authority in his administration.

Naturally the Rev. Sharpton used his position to berate his host and suggest that instead of retraining his cops, the mayor should “perp-walk one of them.”

Two months later, New Yorkers learned that one of the mayor’s top advisers, Rachel Noerdlinger, was living with a man who is also no fan of police. His name is Hassaun McFarlan, and he has a long criminal record that includes homicide, conspiring to run a cocaine operation and nearly running a New Jersey cop off the road.

In his Facebook posts, McFarlan calls police officers “pigs.”

Ultimately Noerdlinger stepped down, after de Blasio’s initial effort to defend her.

Then came the grand jury’s decision in the Eric Garner case. A day after the Staten Island jurors concluded there wasn’t probable cause to indict a police officer for his death, Mayor de Blasio spoke publicly about how he and his wife, who is black, had raised their son, Dante, to fear police.

He also suggested New York’s police needed to be retrained out of their racism. “The way we go about policing has to change. People need to know that black lives and brown lives matter as much as white lives.”

No calls for civility then from other city leaders. Nor did we hear admonitions that the mayor had gone too far in rhetoric that indicted an entire police force.

More recently, when police were attacked by a group of “peaceful” protesters on the Brooklyn Bridge, the mayor couldn’t even bring himself to acknowledge the cops had been assaulted. Instead he said they were “allegedly” assaulted.

This was followed by his reappointment of a judge who freed without bail a Brooklyn gang-banger who’d posted threats against the NYPD after the Liu and Ramos murders.

So we are left with this. Two fine police officers are dead — and the mayor wonders where people ever got the idea he doesn’t like cops.

Link
01-02-2015 03:31 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
“community affairs” There's those Racist words again ! .03-lmfao03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 03:47 PM by CardFan1.)
01-02-2015 03:46 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Quote:Even before the back-turnings, Cardinal Timothy Dolan was saying it’s “unfair and counterproductive to dismiss our mayor and other leaders as enemies of the police.”
I leave it to the people of NYC and the adjoining suburbs to say whether such rhetoric is "productive". But as to the "fairness"… in DeBlasio's case, it's nothing more than calling a spade a spade. In DeBlasio's case, "enemy of the police" is actually putting it rather mildly.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 09:44 PM by Native Georgian.)
01-02-2015 09:44 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Good move their incompetence cost the lives of two cops.
01-02-2015 09:50 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Here is what shocks me about this story

Quote:Meanwhile, court officers said they plan to give Judge Johnson a hard time in court.

the arrogance and blatant disregard for keeping politics out of public service.

Police Departments share a relationship with the public that resembles the same relationship the military. The issues going on between the NYPD & de blasio is the exact type of scenario the military looks to avoid with their rules regarding politics.

Doesn't matter what the differences are between the two, there is enough crossover to make following this guideline critical. A Police department doesn't get their way so they think they can disregard chain of command or disregard enforcing the law?
01-02-2015 10:36 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(01-02-2015 10:36 PM)john01992 Wrote:  the arrogance and blatant disregard for keeping politics out of public service.

Like when teachers stormed Wisconsin's capital to disrupt government over a law they didn't like. Or when teacher's go on strike because of whatever bugs them that day.
01-02-2015 10:41 PM
john01992 Offline

(01-02-2015 10:41 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(01-02-2015 10:36 PM)john01992 Wrote:  the arrogance and blatant disregard for keeping politics out of public service.

Like when teachers stormed Wisconsin's capital to disrupt government over a law they didn't like. Or when teacher's go on strike because of whatever bugs them that day.

in what way do teachers resemble the military?

that's the key difference here, a point that you seem to ignore (because it destroys your case)
01-02-2015 10:48 PM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-02-2015 10:36 PM)john01992 Wrote:  Here is what shocks me about this story

Quote:Meanwhile, court officers said they plan to give Judge Johnson a hard time in court.

Police Departments share a relationship with the public that resembles the same relationship the military. The issues going on between the NYPD & de blasio is the exact type of scenario the military looks to avoid with their rules regarding politics.

Doesn't matter what the differences are between the two, there is enough crossover to make following this guideline critical. A Police department doesn't get their way so they think they can disregard chain of command or disregard enforcing the law?

C'mon, John - one big difference, UNIONS!! You in favor of abolishing all police unions?
01-02-2015 10:52 PM
john01992 Offline

(01-02-2015 10:52 PM)Crebman Wrote:  

C'mon, John - one big difference, UNIONS!! You in favor of abolishing all police unions?

unions have nothing to do with it, like I said there may be differences between the two, but there is still such a large crossover that the same political philosophy should be fired.

just an fyi I have traditionally been against police unions and here's why. they have traditionally been against civil liberties, civil rights, & certain social issues.

Not hard to understand why, anytime you expand rights it puts them at a disadvantage in their daily tasks. I find it sickening that groups on their behalf spend large amounts of $ defending policies that are clearly ineffective, terrible, or morally wrong.

plus they have political protection not seen with other unions (except firefighters) and this is especially true for teachers unions (looking at you smn)
01-02-2015 10:58 PM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-02-2015 10:58 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

unions have nothing to do with it, like I said there may be differences between the two, but there is still such a large crossover that the same political philosophy should be fired.

just an fyi I have traditionally been against police unions and here's why. they have traditionally been against civil liberties, civil rights, & certain social issues.

Not hard to understand why, anytime you expand rights it puts them at a disadvantage in their daily tasks. I find it sickening that groups on their behalf spend large amounts of $ defending policies that are clearly ineffective, terrible, or morally wrong.

plus they have political protection not seen with other unions (except firefighters) and this is especially true for teachers unions (looking at you smn)

John, do you think the policemen you are throwing such a fit about could behave as they have without "union protection"? You have b!tched and called for there firing - but what prevents that is union representation.

Additionally, if you're in favor of no police unions, then you have to be in favor of eliminating all public sector unions, you in favor of that? I mean, it wouldn't be fair to allow some employees to unionize and not others? You up for that?
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 11:11 PM by Crebman.)
01-02-2015 11:09 PM
john01992 Offline

(01-02-2015 11:09 PM)Crebman Wrote:  
(01-02-2015 10:58 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

John, do you think the policemen you are throwing such a fit about could behave as they have without "union protection"? You have b!tched and called for their firing - but what prevents that is union representation.

Additionally, if you're in favor of no police unions, then you have to be in favor of eliminating all public sector unions, you in favor of that? I mean, it wouldn't be fair to allow some employees to unionize and not others? You up for that?

who exactly did I call on to be fired? when did I say I was in favor of eradicating police unions?

my stance is that when the NYPD is in uniform, the same rules should apply to them regarding politics/respecting the chain of command as the military.

their unions should be allowed to fight for safety, benefits, wages, etc. but there are appropriate ways and inappropriate ways of doing so. I want them limited to only appropriate ways.

I dunno about you, but cr.ap like this infuriates me
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/nyregi...eform.html

what other union does sh.it like that?

while one can not deny the major issues that police interest groups have donating to certain political groups, as far as I am concerned as long as the courts say it's legal there is really nothing that can be done there, but I find the policies they support to be extremely disturbing.
01-02-2015 11:19 PM
john01992 Offline

(01-02-2015 10:48 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

that's the key difference here, a point that you seem to ignore (because it destroys your case)

LOL he has no response.
01-02-2015 11:34 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(01-02-2015 11:34 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

LOL he has no response.

Response? To what? Where did the military get involved in all this? You're Johnny, not Fitbud.
01-02-2015 11:48 PM
john01992 Offline

(01-02-2015 11:48 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

LOL he has no response.

Response? To what? Where did the military get involved in all this? You're Johnny, not Fitbud.

says the idiot who brought teachers unions into the conversation...

Quote:Police Departments share a relationship with the public that resembles the same relationship the military. The issues going on between the NYPD & de blasio is the exact type of scenario the military looks to avoid with their rules regarding politics.

Quote:my stance is that when the NYPD is in uniform, the same rules should apply to them regarding politics/respecting the chain of command as the military.
01-02-2015 11:51 PM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

LOL he has no response.

John, the military and police are not close to the same thing. Just because you want to pretend they are alike doesn't make it so.

And John, I know that you don't like this, but you either have public sector employees allowed to form unions or you don't. You don't get to cherry pick.

You just don't like it because your boy de Blasio is incurring their wrath instead of a Republican.
01-02-2015 11:53 PM
john01992 Offline

(01-02-2015 11:53 PM)Crebman Wrote:  

LOL he has no response.

John, the military and police are not close to the same thing. Just because you want to pretend they are alike doesn't make it so.

And John, I know that you don't like this, but you either have public sector employees allowed to form unions or you don't. You don't get to cherry pick.

You just don't like it because your boy de Blasio is incurring their wrath instead of a Republican.

swat teams are classified as paramilitary, PDs use quasi military elements. It is indisputable that while not technically military, they are the closest thing to it. there is a lot of cross over here and just like the military they depend greatly on a chain of command and abstinence from political activism.

can you imagine what would happen if the military got involved in politics and threw a hissy fit every time they felt remotely offended by the POTUS? we'd have a coup everytime a Dem was elected. what's going on in NYC right now is the PD trying to get a mayor who campaigned on reforming the NYPD a year before the garner/ferguson fu.ckups ousted from office.

I am not cherry picking certain public services, I am picking the one public service that has an incredible amount of power, the power to legally revoke someone else's rights. with great power comes great responsibility, and the necessity for checks & balances of said power.

my dislike for this has nothing to do with political sides, it's what they are doing that bothers me not the political party of de blasio. if glenn beck was mayor i'd be just as pissed at the whole thing. I don't adhere to the partisan politics you apparently support.
01-03-2015 12:07 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I think the real headline is that he reappointed a municipal judge who erred on the side of freedom of expression. You may not like it but it's important to always fall on that side.
01-03-2015 12:12 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-03-2015 12:12 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think the real headline is that he reappointed a municipal judge who erred on the side of freedom of expression. You may not like it but it's important to always fall on that side.

Would you say that the policemen are exercising their freedom of expression as well? Now, both you and I know that they'd get fired for doing it without the protection the union provides, but the expressing of their unhappiness is freedom of expression. No?

John, no matter how much you proclaim it, policemen and the military are not the same and serve very different functions in our society.
01-03-2015 10:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.