Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Update: Mick Cronin Out for the Year
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Update on UC's coaching situation:

Mick Cronin will act in an 'advisory' role for the remainder of the 2014-2015 season per Mick and the school. Will not coach games or practices but will continue to be a part of strategic decisions and game planning activities. Asst Head Coach Larry Davis will continue to be the coach during in game and practice situations in Mick's absence.

Mick's goal is to be back to normal in 3 months with no further symptoms, but that rules the remainder of this season out.

Really sucks for UC that Mick won't be coaching the rest of this year, but his health is the most important thing. UC's assistant HC is one of the best in the biz and has head coaching experience, which helps in a time like this. UC has a young team, so I'm disappointed that Mick won't be able to coach the guys up the rest of the year, but since we lose virtually noone for next year, Mick will get to work with these guys for quite a while.
01-02-2015 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: Update: Mick Cronin Out for the Year
As to be expected....it is at least a few months of recovery. Some suffer from vision problems for 6-9 months after surgery.
01-02-2015 10:36 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(01-02-2015 10:29 AM)stxrunner Wrote:  Update on UC's coaching situation:

Mick Cronin will act in an 'advisory' role for the remainder of the 2014-2015 season per Mick and the school. Will not coach games or practices but will continue to be a part of strategic decisions and game planning activities. Asst Head Coach Larry Davis will continue to be the coach during in game and practice situations in Mick's absence.

Mick's goal is to be back to normal in 3 months with no further symptoms, but that rules the remainder of this season out.

Really sucks for UC that Mick won't be coaching the rest of this year, but his health is the most important thing. UC's assistant HC is one of the best in the biz and has head coaching experience, which helps in a time like this. UC has a young team, so I'm disappointed that Mick won't be able to coach the guys up the rest of the year, but since we lose virtually noone for next year, Mick will get to work with these guys for quite a while.

I just glad they caught his condition on time...
01-02-2015 10:44 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Obviously, the main thing here is Cronin's health.

As for basketball, I think Davis can hold his own on gameday. One of the biggest factors will be if he can continue to get them to show up for every single opponent the way Cronin has. It's easy for a college team to coast certain nights and get clipped by weaker opponents and we have avoided that for the most part for years.

Professionally, this could be a break for Davis. He could get some exposure at the helm of a potential tourney team and has a good resume already. I won't be surprised if we start losing him or Savino anytime now to HC openings.
01-02-2015 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
UC's Mick Cronin out for rest of season
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 10:55 a.m. EST January 2, 2015

University of Cincinnati men's basketball coach Mick Cronin will not coach his team in practices or games for the rest of the 2014-15 season for health reasons, UC announced Friday at a press conference which Cronin attended.

Cronin will stay with the team in an advisory role that includes directing the coaching staff, game planning and recruiting.

UC announced Dec. 20 that Cronin had a brain aneurysm, and the coach has missed three games since. Friday, the update from UC on Cronin's condition was that he has a non-life threatening vascular condition known as arterial dissection. His treatment and recovery includes rest, medication and keeping a normal blood pressure.

Cronin's condition was discovered in mid-December during a routine workup scheduled after a complaint of lingering headaches. He has missed three games since, with UC going 2-1 under associate head coach Larry Davis.

Davis will continue to lead the Bearcats during Cronin's absence.

"I feel great," Cronin said. "The way I look at it, I'm extremely lucky."

Cronin, 43, was upbeat as he addressed reporters at UC's Fifth Third Arena media room Friday.

"Watching the game is my biggest problem," Cronin said jokingly. "I'm not a brain surgeon, but I've been hanging out with them."

On a more serious note, Cronin said:

"I've got to be smart. I know you're going to ask what caused it, and they don't know. The way I look at it, I'm extremely lucky. It's not going to be easy (not coaching), but we've got a great young team that's going to continue to develop. This is obviously a little unusual, but it could be worse."

The longterm outlook is good, Cronin's doctors say.

"The prognosis is excellent," UC Health Director of Neurosurgery Dr. Norberto Andaluz said in a statement.

"We are optimistic in this case," Dr. Mario Zuccarello, chair of the UC Health department of neurosurgery, said in a statement. "Coach Cronin's career is not jeopardized by this condition and we all look forward to seeing him back on the court next season and enjoying a successful career thereafter."

UC (9-3 overall) next plays Southern Methodist on Saturday at 11 a.m. at Fifth Third Arena in the American Athletic Conference season opener for UC. SMU (10-3 overall) is 1-0 in AAC play.

Cronin has been under physician's orders to refrain from coaching while being treated. Behind the scenes, Cronin has stayed involved with game planning but has not attended practices.

After Cronin spoke Friday, Davis took the podium at the press conference. Davis mentioned the challenges UC's staff faced especially in its early years together, with a major rebuild after Bob Huggins and then Andy Kennedy left.

"He'll overcome it," Davis said of Cronin. "He's used to fighting the fight."
01-02-2015 12:32 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Get well coach
01-02-2015 12:44 PM
ChapelHillTiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
I wish Coach Cronin and UC all the best. UC is a great school and long-time friend of the Tigers.

(01-02-2015 12:44 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Get well coach
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 12:51 PM by ChapelHillTiger.)
01-02-2015 12:48 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Get well soon coach.
01-02-2015 12:49 PM
UConnHusky Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn/Celts/Red Sox/Pats
I hope that Coach Cronin has a full and speedy recovery. He will be missed by every true basketball fan in the AAC this season.
01-02-2015 01:31 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(01-02-2015 01:31 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  I hope that Coach Cronin has a full and speedy recovery. He will be missed by every true basketball fan in the AAC this season.

Yep. I love watching him blow up.
01-02-2015 01:42 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

01-02-2015 02:09 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Prayers for a speedy recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-02-2015 03:09 PM
JP Bearcat Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-02-2015 01:42 PM)tnzazz Wrote:  
(01-02-2015 01:31 PM)UConnHusky Wrote:  I hope that Coach Cronin has a full and speedy recovery. He will be missed by every true basketball fan in the AAC this season.

Yep. I love watching him blow up.

Mick brings fire and passion to every game . . . which obviously is not good for his blood pressure. Certainly his health comes first and our prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.
01-02-2015 05:24 PM
vaNtR Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
Cronin is one of my favorite coaches. Disappointed for Cincinnati, but hoping that he recovers quickly.
01-02-2015 06:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.